Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Gwaredydd
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jan 2016, 5:04 pm

It started with a comment my Dad made about the series Kung Fu with David Caradine.
"See him, I taught him." The obsession that followed left me a laughing stock until at the age of 14 when I began to train in Karate. I've had a few teachers over the years, some better than others. Today I hold a 2nd Dan in Shorin Ryu Karate, it took a long time but it is one of my achievements. I train every other day. Does anyone else practice martial arts of any kind?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2016, 7:10 pm

Congrats on nidan; that's quite an achievement. I trained through shodan in Aikido, and then some; I've been out of training for about two years because I moved and the nearest dojos are prohibitively far away. I really, really miss it -to the point that I've even toyed with the idea of opening my own dojo, renting space on someone else's mats, even though dojos run by shodans are ridiculous.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 11:42 pm

I've been doing something like an Inosanto blend for a little over 7 years (ie. kali/arnis/panantukan/wing chun/kuntao) and I'm still enjoying it although a lot of things are biding for my attention these days. I think I've also gotten to a point where I'm understanding how much my genetic presets and neurological state impacts progress. I've learned a lot but I still have quite a long way to go before I'm 'good' by my standards and with what I just mentioned it might be another five or ten years before I'm there.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Justeve
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2016, 3:26 am

My kids do, my 7yr old has earned a blue belt in Hapkido and he also uses the Bo.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 6:26 pm

Done various martial arts mainly Wing Chun.

JoeyFlash
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jan 2016, 2:20 am

I used to do Tae Kwon Do and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu when I was younger. I also want to try Krav Magaa

Who's there?

Matthew.

Matthew who?

Math you couldn't do unless you had an IQ of 184.