Anyone here Vegetarian other Vegetarian Aspies?

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 5:59 am

Quote:
Tofu isn't good to eat on a regular basis. Tempeh is better but awful-tasting. Soy products are endocrine disruptors and should only be eaten in moderation.

How solid are the studies on that? And would you have to be eating a pound of tofu a day to make any difference?
I'm trans, my endocrine system is chemically reinforced :twisted:

ConceptuallyCurious
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2016, 7:55 am

My wife is being a mid-week (Monday-Friday) vegetarian for environmental causes, which means it's difficult if I'm not one too.

I've been struggling. I really like quinoa, but my wife hates it. I'm a restricted eater and I know I can train my senses past some things, but it's such a slow process. As a teen I worked up to eating onions by having them for lunch every day. I'd blend them and cook them, a couple of months later I'd finally moved up to pulsed, then finely chopped, etc. Now I like them in wedges.

It's so hard to do and I really don't enjoy it. I struggled so much with the mid week vegetarian thing that all I could think of was salmon and meat and I was eating so little that I started to feel light headed. We had a little break after that.

I've found a couple more things I like, but finding food I like that's also vegetarian isn't cheap. I really, really can't stand the texture of all beans. So I'm worried that I'm not getting the right nutrients.

I've found a few more meals that I like now.

ADHD diagnosed in July 2016

Also "probable" dyspraxia/DCD and dyslexia.

Plus a smattering of mental health problems that have now been mostly resolved.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 8:07 am

I don't eat meat or poultry, but I do eat fish and dairy including free range eggs.

I guess I'm vegetarian-pescatarian, but I don't think I could go all-out vegan.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 12:09 pm

I'm strongly considering going vegetarian for health and moral reasons. Most of my cooking is vegetarian anyway, but what I eat away from home is decidedly not. I need to do more research on how to do it properly though and I'm not quite sure where to start. That's ok, it gives me time to ease towards that goal. But if anyone knows some good books, websites, etc. it would help!

Edenthiel wrote:
I'm learning. I was brought up that lunch and dinner *had* to have meat; really, it was the centerpiece of a meal and all else was garnish. I've eliminated it from lunch and maybe every other dinner and I feel much better. I just wish I knew more about *how* to be a vegetarian! And please don't say, "stop eating meat, silly", because it's a matter of relearning how to prepare food and retrain my tastes.

Looks like other people could use some advice too, folks! :) *hint hint*

That's pretty common in the US, Edenthiel. It's kind of the cooking style here. But once you get over that attitude you can explore all sorts of amazing meals.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 12:30 pm

I am aspie and after 10 years of being vegetarian, i stopped because it caused me iron deficiency, and all bad consequences.
I was eating all the special food which can avoid iron deficiency, but my body doesn't "store" iron good (it is the case for many women). I can't digest iron pills and special food was not sufficient. So, now, i reluctantly eat meat...

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 12:36 pm

Here's a recipe for people who want help cooking.

INGREDIENTS:

-Coconut oil
-1 onion, chopped
-2 cloves of garlic, crushed
-Your choice of a mixture of any of these vegetables, chopped. Suggestions: carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, eggplant
-Your choice of a mixture or one of any of these protein sources: nuts, seeds, beans in water (soaked before use), lentils
-Cumin seeds
-Coriander seeds
-Fennel seeds
-1 tin/carton of chopped tomatoes OR 500ml water OR 500ml vegetable stock
-Salt and pepper

Here's the secret to how to get a really tasty curry. Buy a jar each of cumin seeds, corinander seeds, fennel seeds. Buy a pestle and mortar and learn to use it. Crush the seeds then put them in a frying pan with nothing else, just dry. Fry them on top heat until you begin to smell the aroma wafting in the air. That's helping to release the oils and bring out the flavour.

Now melt some coconut oil in another pan. Coconut oil is the healthiest fat and is high in omega-3 so is great for brain health. Fry one chopped onion and one or two crushed cloves of garlic. To crush garlic, first chop the top and bottom and remove the skin. Then pour a bit of salt on a surface and put the garlic on top. Now press down hard with the side of your knife and rub it all around. The salt is ESSENTIAL. Salt draws out moisture so it makes the crushing more effective.

Now after the onion and garlic are coloured, add your crushed spices and fry for another 30 seconds to a minute. Stir a few times. Then add the chopped tomatoes, water or stock - depending on which you are using. Now add vegetables for vitamins and energy. Lentils, nuts, seeds, beans for protein. Bring to the boil, then when it's bubbling fast turn it down. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 30 minutes-1 hour on a low-ish heat. Just make sure it's simmering. Stir every once in a while.

I'd suggest serving with rice, fries or a salad.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 12:39 pm

About the beans. I meant to say all beans need soaking before cooking. If you buy them canned or in a carton you usually just drain them. If you buy dry beans in packets (which are cheaper) make sure you soak them in water overnight before draining and using. Beans that have not been drained are really hard to digest.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 12:42 pm

I've been vegan for a little over three years now. For those if you who want to learn more there is a really good podcast about how to go vegan. The host's name is Colleen Patrick-Goudreau and her podcast is called Food for Thought. Just look up "joyful vegan" on google and it will bring her site right up. She does an incredible job of explaining the ins and outs of going vegan or vegetarian. Even if you're already vegan she's still worth looking up.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 1:12 pm

I am not a vegetarian. If I was I would end up eating like 10 foods tops. It wouldn't be a very good idea. Plus I really like meat.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 1:17 pm

Yigeren: if you fry tempeh with tamarii sauce, cyanne pepper, garlic, and other spices, it tastes great [at least to me]. I love fruit juice and rice noodles. :D

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 1:55 pm

BTW, I posted this earlier today.

My very first taste of tempeh. Raw, even.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 1:59 pm

C2V wrote:
Quote:
Tofu isn't good to eat on a regular basis. Tempeh is better but awful-tasting. Soy products are endocrine disruptors and should only be eaten in moderation.

How solid are the studies on that? And would you have to be eating a pound of tofu a day to make any difference?
I'm trans, my endocrine system is chemically reinforced :twisted:

Hmm , well there is some pretty good evidence of it. I don't have any studies at the moment on the top of my head. It's been a couple of years since I researched it.

One issue is that it's goitrogenic. It could possibly cause hypothyroidism in some individuals.

Generally what I have read is that tofu and soy milk should be used in moderation. Maybe only a few ounces a week. You'll have to do some research and make up your mind given the evidence.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 2:01 pm

Mine was organic, and fried, and I did everything to make it taste good. It smells and tastes like moldy mushrooms to me. I don't like mushrooms. I could barely eat it.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 2:26 pm

I'm a Jain so my diet is pretty restrictive. All I eat are beans, peas, corn, granola bars and fruits. I don't feel cheated though because all the Chinese, Thai and Vietnamese restaurants around here will substitute tofu for beef or chicken.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 4:10 pm

My mom, my sister, and I are all skeptical of the benefits of vegetarianism and veganism, but a few days ago, I came up with the idea that all three of us should try being vegetarians mainly because of health issues both my mom and my sister experienced a few years ago. Both have since are fully recovered

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 4:16 pm

was vegetarian for about ten years total. than married someone who doesn't feel satisfied without meat. we still don't eat red meat.