Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 8:22 pm

The little shops on tourist traps like Nantucket sell small form fitting clothes for women.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 10:29 pm

I hate shoe and bra shopping, because they have to be bought new and fitted.

As for general items, I used to dislike it until I discovered the wonders of op shopping (is that term used in other countries? I mean thrift stores, second hand clothes). We have a store here that stocks HEAPS of clothes, sorted by type of item and then by size. I spend what I'd pay for one new item and get ~6 items. Finally shopping is fun!

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 11:20 pm

LillyDale wrote:
The retail clothing industry has changed over the last decade or so. In trying to squeeze out more profits things like sizing consistency was tossed out. This is why you can pick up two size 12 off the same rack of an identical item and have them be two different actual sizes. There is also no longer any consistency between manufacturers where a size 12 at one store is more like a 10 and a 16 at another. Then there are stores that do non standard sizes that they made up.

Manufacturers have also made clothes with fewer curves to get more garments out of a yard of fabric. So pants have less room in the seat, shirts have less room in the bust. Less effort is put into designing clothing patterns that fit properly due to most clothing now being a disposable cheap commodity. So nothing fits right and much of it is just awful.

This is why I buy most of my clothes now at thrift stores, so I can find older stuff. I don't find much at Goodwill, seems like they filter out the nice vintage clothing because I don't see much in there. But most of the other thrift stores in my area sell older clothes and some of those things fit me better.

The main thing I look for in clothes is pintucks or darts or pleating that will allow for curves. I hate how most clothes are made now, cut straight up and down and skimpy on material. But when I do find something new that fits well, I stock up on it in multiples.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 11:55 pm

I'd just like to stop buying nice clothing altogether and wear sweatpants, leggings, tanks, and t-shirts. Not because I don't want to look nice, but because I need to be comfortable and am tired of wasting my time trying to find clothing that fits.

I wish we had Asian clothing stores here because I think it would be better for my body size.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2016, 2:02 am

Clothes sizes are getting larger and larger.
It is hard to find clothes that fit me in both width and length and are reasonably priced.
Usually, my mother buys me clothes from the local outlet complex.
She enjoys shopping, and I hate it.

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jan 2016, 3:58 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
As for general items, I used to dislike it until I discovered the wonders of op shopping (is that term used in other countries? I mean thrift stores, second hand clothes). We have a store here that stocks HEAPS of clothes, sorted by type of item and then by size. I spend what I'd pay for one new item and get ~6 items. Finally shopping is fun!

Yes! I love op shops. With so many clothes from different brands in the one place, you almost have to be able to find something that fits. And they're not necessarily cheap and nasty brands either. When I used to live in a major city, I'd go op shopping in some of the trendier suburbs. It was bloody amazing what people gave away.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2016, 9:00 am

Unfortunately, I gained enough weight to fit into extra-large shirts well.

For a long time, though, I was in-between large and extra large. That made shopping difficult.

My inseam is a 28. A 28 inseam in pants is quite rare.

Yep...I did notice that there's wide variation in how sizes manifest themselves; that should be more standardized.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2016, 11:10 am

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/61403?fe ... hirt-plaid
With a $10 discount coupon from buying some sheets it only cost me $15. Quality is pretty good--better than what Target sells. I'm 5' 3" and weight 105 pounds--the LG size fits better than most boy's clothing. But the flannel shirt that fits me best is a women's Small/Petite I bought at a 2nd hand store.

For KraftieKortie
http://www.petermanningnyc.com/ They make short inseam clothing for guys--I suspect they tailor it to 1" increments based on comments that it sometimes takes a while for the order to arrive.

On ebay there are searches for pants that allow you to choose the inseam as well as the waist.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2016, 2:43 pm

Thanks very much, BTDT.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2016, 12:38 pm

I feel bad that people are having a hard time shopping too, I used to have trouble finding pants, I have short legs & I'm a petite, I finally bought the right pair of pants; short petite & plus size, I shop at Kohls.com or OldNavy.com, for shoes, I go to Footsmart.com.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 11:13 am

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... &Inseam=28

Search for men's flat front pants with a 28 inch inseam. Courtesy of Ebay and thrift stores I have ton of clothes. 8O

rude1
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jan 2016, 1:42 pm

I'm 4'8 so I have a major issue with finding suitable jeans. The ones that fit me around the waist are always way too long and vise versa. Even the ones made for shorter people are tough. Because of this I own 2 pairs of jeans and usually wear yoga/stretch pants.

mindpalaces
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2016, 5:46 pm

Clothes shopping is dreadful, the crowds put me in an awful mood and then because i'm in a bad mood I hate myself in everything I try on

online shopping is the way forward

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Feb 2016, 2:03 pm

I really hate clothes shopping. There's the whole trying to balance while putting on trousers in a tiny cubicle thing. Then there's the feeling of the clothes and the nasty price tags and other bits and pieces all over the garments. Then there are the sounds of other shoppers which I find distracting and then the shop music just does my head in. I bought a new pair of jeans today and a new shirt (lovely soft cotton) and the music in the shop was so bad that by the time I got out of the changing room I was shaking. I only buy new clothes when I really can't do without them.

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 8:08 pm

I like clothes shopping but only occasionally try things on. The best clothes I buy are ones that I never tried on. If something is a bit expensive and I don't want the risk I will try it on though. In op shops I don't even bother. If it doesn't fit just donate it back, it only cost me about $5. 90% of the dresses I own come from the op shops.

I hate fitting rooms. The lighting and mirrors are designed to make me look frumpy in whatever I'm trying on. Then there's the shop assistant knocking on the door after 2 minutes to check if I'm still alive. It takes about 1 minute to try on the things and 10 to put myself back together, lace my 14 hole boots up and do their job of putting the items back on the hangers neatly.

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 12:09 am

I am short and fat. Clothes shopping used to be sheer torture, due to my size and shape, until I discovered the outstanding comfort of being dressed in baggy T-shirts and extra large sweat pants.

I don't care if people don't think I am "fancy". I care more that I am comfortable. I am also really cheap, which ties in neatly with my craving for comfortable clothing, and buy stuff once a year from the bulk bin at Ross or Marshalls. Usually, the day after Christmas which - IMO - is the REAL "Black Friday".

At least I'm sure it may be so in "Denmark".

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116