Page 5 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 1:47 pm

EarthCalling wrote:

Where it gets confusing, is when you have someone who is showing all the "common shared traits" between NLD, and then has some As traits, and some NLD traits. Say, they are left handed and obsess about things, and stim, but they also (although unusual for an aspie) Cannot read maps or follow diagrams. So, what do you do with them?

that's me to a T... even down to the handedness, lol

i do have trouble with maps... except im really good at geographical maps, like showing depth and layers or topography.... the types of maps depicting a 3D layout of sorts..

and i do notice that i have trouble with some graphs... but it's hard to say what kind cause it's not all types... and once i've sat down and figured out a particular kind of chart... the next time i even glance at a similar one, i can remember how to read it. so i think that's why it's hard for me to pick out exactly what gives me troubles about them. cause it's not like there's too too many ways to make a chart, generally speaking... and prcatice... i get lots of daily practice with them, so i guess i', used to them

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

EarthCalling
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 2:45 pm

Quote:

i do have trouble with maps... except im really good at geographical maps, like showing depth and layers or topography.... the types of maps depicting a 3D layout of sorts..

and i do notice that i have trouble with some graphs... but it's hard to say what kind cause it's not all types... and once i've sat down and figured out a particular kind of chart... the next time i even glance at a similar one, i can remember how to read it. so i think that's why it's hard for me to pick out exactly what gives me troubles about them. cause it's not like there's too too many ways to make a chart, generally speaking... and prcatice... i get lots of daily practice with them, so i guess i', used to them

Yes... it is very strange, does anything like dyslexia or perceptual difficulties effect you?

Maybe it could be AS with some sort of undiagnosed eye problem?

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 2:53 pm

I have a terrible sense of direction - absolutely horrible time finding my way anywhere. My direction only exists in words and has to be couched in left or right. When people say turn "north" I'm totally screwed!

My NQ hubby made an astute comment today and opined that NVLD is the female AS. There may be something to that. I wonder what the sex ratio is for NVLD?

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 3:45 pm

EarthCalling wrote:
Quote:

Yes... it is very strange, does anything like dyslexia or perceptual difficulties effect you?

Maybe it could be AS with some sort of undiagnosed eye problem?

i'll mix up words... but it has to do with specificity (ex: noun vs pronoun) and the representative pic i have for the object.... so ppl have sometimes said im dyslexic, but i think it is slightly different due to mechanics... and i have no problems reading... so

ex:

i was talking to someone about convertibles in general and they pointed out that i kept inserting "mustang" interchangibly with "convertible" and i never realized it... but when they pointed out i was saying that, i was like oops, can the connection is, my pic for convertible is my exBF's mustang convertible.

another example was that i was talking about BRCA genes, which have to do with breast cancer... i kept randomly saying "bra" genes cause my pick for BRCA genes is a big ole pink bra... lol

for perception... i'm a terrible driver... i hate backing up (guess i could be dyslexic in a sense cause i can never remember how to use left/right while driving in reverse so i have to go fairly slow, lol)... but for certain games like shuffle board and the sort... where you have to push something down a long board and have it stop at certain places.... once i get used to the board, i rock.... darts are the same too. and i'm pretty good at shooting hoops (though playing is another story)

i do have a terrible sense of direction... i get lost a lot... and it has to do with me remembering my desired destination to be in the incorrect place... like i know how to get to a particular location just fine... but i misremember things being in the wrong place. ex: if i want to go to ____ store in mall... i'll remember it beings next to this other thing.... and i go to that "other thing" and my store wont be there.... from that point i have noticed, i'm best off going back to the start and retracing back to the correct destination... but sometimes i don't have to do that...

i think i have CAPD as i have some hearing issues which i notice occur most often when someone says something "out of the blue" like when i'm not anticipating or when i can't see them... i also have this weird thing that happens when i hear music sometimes... but i've never seen anyone else here that's heard of that experience... so ?

have no eye problems that i know of... cept nearsightedness

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com

Last edited by Sedaka on 20 Apr 2007, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 3:45 pm

http://www.nldontheweb.org/Dinklage_1.htm

I don't know if anyone has posted this link yet, but it talks about the overlap between AS and NLD. Maybe it has been posted somewhere, because it has that same 20% number that someone (SeriousGirl?) had mentioned- that 20% of aspies wouldn't meet the criteria for NLD, but 80% would. It says that a kid is usually diagnosed as an aspie if they have the more severe social impairment.

I've also read somewhere else that when in doubt, use the diagnosis that will get the kid the services he needs. For instance, if a kid really needs intervention, but the school doesn't offer any for NLD (some don't), then use the Asperger's diagnosis so that the kid can get services. Something else I read advised diagnosing based on the kid's area of greatest impairment. If it's social problems, then Asperger's. It has to do with spatial/motor problems, then NLD.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 3:48 pm

SeriousGirl wrote:
I have a terrible sense of direction - absolutely horrible time finding my way anywhere. My direction only exists in words and has to be couched in left or right. When people say turn "north" I'm totally screwed!

My NQ hubby made an astute comment today and opined that NVLD is the female AS. There may be something to that. I wonder what the sex ratio is for NVLD?

Dunno what the ratio is, but for most learning disabilities, there are way more guys affected than girls, so the ratio for NLD may still be in favor of guys.

risingphoenix
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2007, 4:37 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
SeriousGirl wrote:

Dunno what the ratio is, but for most learning disabilities, there are way more guys affected than girls, so the ratio for NLD may still be in favor of guys.

"Unlike language-based learning disabilities, the NLD syndrome affects females as often as males (approximately 1:1 sex ratio)" (from http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/NLD ... mpson.html)

I could also imagine that NVLD is something like the female AS, at least I've also read somewhere that when presenting about the same pattern of difficulties and abilties boys are more likely to be diagnosed with AS but girls with NVLD. Then again I suppose one would have to know more about the difference between Asperger's in males and females for that and pretty much the only info I could find on that was this essay by Tony Attwood http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/b ... 4/id26.htm Could anyone find more info on that?

Hermann Hesse

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 5:02 pm

another thing that came to mind that kinda addresses my chart and diagram reading issues is:

when i teach for my bio lab courses... one thing that has always given me trouble is when students are working independantly and i am floating around to help answer their questions...

generally, they are writing or drawing or working on something thats on a PC screen... i have difficulty coming up and being able to immediately ascertain WHERE theyre at in the problem.... even as a TA, im given the keys to the problem (if there is one) and i always at least know the general layout of the questions... but its always hard fro me to just jump in and answer their questions... i usually have to sit and look at their work for a little bit (not too long... and it gets easier once ive discovered the most common errors being made)

its not too bad.... but i feel so much pressure cause theyre already asking me the question as im walking up to them and i havent even had a chance to look at anything! so i feel like i have even less time to look over their stuff before they start thinking im dumb or something :oops: :oops:

ive had to devise a lot of BS type questioning to ask them intially JUST so that i have time to look stuff over without them suspecting

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 6:02 am

I was diagnosed with NLD at age 18. To be honest, I couldn't find any major forums focusing on that disorder, well - none near the size of WP.net anyway ! I just decided to settle with WP, as AS and NLD people seem to be similar enough to relate well and become good friends. I hope. :pr: :hmph: :pl:

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 6:24 am

Syd wrote:
I was diagnosed with NLD at age 18. To be honest, I couldn't find any major forums focusing on that disorder, well - none near the size of WP.net anyway ! I just decided to settle with WP, as AS and NLD people seem to be similar enough to relate well and become good friends. I hope. :pr: :hmph: :pl:

I actually read sites that questioned whether there should be two diagnosis, they are so similar. To people that REALLY got into posting on this site said they were diagnosed AS and now say they were rediagnosed NVLD(aka NLD). The biggest problems most AS people seem to have, one of the "triad of impairments", and the biggest I have, could be explained by NVLD.

It also seems like kanners autism itself has NVLD, and that AS could be explained as tending to have less of the kanners type component, and more of the NVLD. SO I don't think you have anything to worry about there.

Besides, those two I spoke of still post, albeit perhaps not quite as much, and I don't think anyone dislikes them, or said any bad words.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 6:33 am

2ukenkerl,

I remember reading somewhere, in some article that they said those with "severe" AS have classic autism, and those with "mild" AS have NVLD.

It's one way to look at it.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 7:09 am

Danielismyname wrote:
2ukenkerl,

I remember reading somewhere, in some article that they said those with "severe" AS have classic autism, and those with "mild" AS have NVLD.

It's one way to look at it.

Well, I have MILD AS. I would also say I have mild NVLD, although certainly more NVLD than autism. Still, there are some symptoms in NVLD that are emphasized WAY too much, as they are with AS. Even most diagnosed NVLD I have known wouldn't fit.

BTW for purposes of discussion, here is part of a document from the university of michigan, with my comments:

Quote:
Kids with NLD are very verbal, and may not have academic problems until they get into the upper grades in school. Often their biggest problem is with social skills.

That is me (although my later grade problems were mainly because I just didn't care, and was bored), and describes many here!

Quote:
NLD is very like Asperger Syndrome. It may be that the diagnoses of Asperger syndrome (AS) and NLD simply “provide different perspectives on a heterogeneous, yet overlapping, group of individuals sharing at least some common aspects [1].” AS and NLD are generally thought to describe pretty much the same kind of disorder, but to differ in severity—with AS describing more severe symptoms.

Like I said...

Quote:

What are the signs of NLD?

Great vocabulary and verbal expression
Excellent memory skills
Attention to detail, but misses(I would say MAY miss) the big picture

I've got all that, like many here.

Quote:
Trouble understanding reading
Difficulty with math, especially word problems
Poor abstract reasoning
Physically awkward; poor coordination
Messy and laborious handwriting
Concrete thinking; taking things very literally
Trouble with nonverbal communication, like body language, facial expression and tone of voice
Poor social skills; difficulty making and keeping friends
Fear of new situations

Trouble adjusting to changes
May be very naïve and lack common sense
Anxiety, depression, low self-esteem
May withdraw, becoming agoraphobic (abnormal fear of open spaces)

I bolded areas that fit me, italics mean some may consider them to apply when they certainly don't now, and also fit many here.

BTW I have sensory integration disorder to a degree as well, and just some of the peculiarities, habits, weaknesses, etc... of AS. Of course, AS covers ALL of it, and that is why I singled IT out. I bet I did better than most psychiatrists would have done.