Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

QuirkyCookie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jan 2016, 6:38 pm

Does anybody else here have ASMR? (Autonomous sensory meridian response) basically means that certain tones of voices, sounds, movements give you brain tingles and helps you get tired/sleepy/relaxed. I hope it makes sense. I have this and was just wondering if others have it too?

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2016, 6:43 pm

I don't get tingles, but I like ASMR. It's very relaxing.

mattdens

26 Jan 2016, 6:49 pm

Yeah I've had those responses as far back as I can remember, it's only recently that I discovered it had a name and a sizable YouTube community dedicated to it.
It gets triggered by some very odd things like the sound of someone eating, breathing heavily, Noam Chomski's voice, I remember a couple of years ago when I was working in a supermarket, there was a customer whistling quite loudly to himself, all of my colleagues were getting very irritated by it and I found it very calming.
It's a very weird thing. Lol

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2016, 11:01 pm

Yes, I experience ASMR to certain auditory, visual and cognitive stimuli. I experience it most significantly in response to particular sounds, especially those of the the ambient variety, and music that is structured in certain ways, can trigger it, significantly.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2016, 11:33 pm

Crap...One more thing to learn about LOL I had no idea that was a 'thing'.

The worst thing that I am going through is that I am finding out all sorts of things that I thought were what everybody experienced, just ain't so.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 11:47 am

I watched some of the videos related to this on YouTube and it was pretty amazing. There is one of a lady whispering for about 8 minutes and it was the most incredibly relaxing thing ever. The feeling I got was a warm sensation in my brain down through my spine. It was kind of like quick meditation. Very relaxing.

There was another one of a lady crinkling a plastic bag for several minutes. That was more irritating than relaxing for me.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 11:59 am

Boo Radley wrote:
I watched some of the videos related to this on YouTube and it was pretty amazing. There is one of a lady whispering for about 8 minutes and it was the most incredibly relaxing thing ever. The feeling I got was a warm sensation in my brain down through my spine. It was kind of like quick meditation. Very relaxing.

There was another one of a lady crinkling a plastic bag for several minutes. That was more irritating than relaxing for me.
For me, it takes very specific things to get that tingle somewhere in the neck area. I can't locate it by touch, but it's between the base of the skull (and when localized there is most effective) to just above the shoulders.

But, whispering was always heavily relaxing when it's the only thing I can hear, or it's predominant over the background.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8