Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 9:23 am

I don't work in healthcare except indirectly (via computer programming work on a custom electronic medical records system). However, in the ASD support groups I've been attending this past year, I notice that quite a few people have jobs in healthcare.

SpaceStace
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jul 2019, 6:48 pm

I work in health care too and I love it, especially compared to past jobs that were not at all focused on helping people who need help. That I'm convinced I'm doing something good, improving the quality of people's lives even just a tiny bit every day, that makes the sometimes-stress well worth it IMO.

The health care field I have been in for 1.5 years is home health care and home hospice care. I work in a cubicle, at a computer, mainly scheduling those home visits. I love scheduling because each day / week, each county, each patient, each home health aide, they are all different puzzles to solve and must all be solved in a way that all those moving parts continue moving together. And once you solve one puzzle you get another.

I also like that I work very closely with my team in the office - like the OP, I like that I am working with / talking to people all day. For me, it's that it keeps me from hermitting out. There are some social challenges that pop up, and I sometimes worry some of my Aspie traits will blow it for me, but it's all worth it to make sure that hospice patient and their family get a bit of peace of mind.

Home health care & hospice is a really expanding field and needs home health aides, visiting nurses, OTs, PTs, wound care nurses, dieticians, social workers, volunteers... we now even have massage therapists and art therapists at my company... all spending every workday visiting multiple patients / families. It's a great field to be in IMO. For those interested in interaction and helping and not being in a hospital or office, I think it's a great way to go. :heart: