[Poll] Background & Credit Checks in Relationships.

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Have you or would you check the background and credit of a potential love-interest?
Absolutely! You can't trust anyone! 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Yes; but only if I felt suspicious about his or her behavior. 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
Maybe, maybe not. It depends ... 19%  19%  [ 4 ]
No; but that does not mean that I wouldn't change my mind later. 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Absolutely Not! Lack of trust is what causes relationships to break down! 29%  29%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 21

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 1:06 pm

Fnord wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Or why you don't give an 18 year old who's never had money 10,000 dollar credit. Mean at 17 they can't be trusted but a day later they can? Credit card companies went bankrupt for giving out too much credit to people they shouldn't have and they got their debt wiped clean so the people should too.
I had my first credit card at 17. The highest balance I carried was about $150 for emergency towing. After that, I kept the balance between $30 and $50 until my wife (now my ex-wife) got ahold of it.
sly279 wrote:
Everyone makes mistakes, they shouldn't be forever alone because of something that happen 10+ years ago when they were basically still a kid.
Everyone makes mistakes; but no one else should be obligated to pay for those mistakes just because they marry a deadbeat.

Concealing a debt that a future spouse will have to carry is dishonest, and will eventually ruin an otherwise good marriage.

Well I didn't have parents to get me a card and teach how to use it. I got a bunch at 18 because I thought having cards was fun. Then first company screwed me they neglected to send me my statement then when I didn't pay chart huge fees that took it from 1000 to 3000. Then same thing happen with other card so I assumed they'd do the same and so spent bunch as I'd rather owe bunch of money and have stuff then just owe a bunch. But they didn't. I'm way more responseable now.

I never said I'd conceal it. I'm well aware I'll never get married and as soon as they find out it'll be over, so probably 1-3 dates top before they ask and break up. Money is al so important to most women it's all that matters, yet many women have huge debt and expect guys to just pay it off if marry. Hypocrites.

I'm going end up doing bankruptcy as I can't pay off the 15,000 and climbing with min wage and ssi. Started at 5,000 but hey if the guy can't pay 5,000 lets triple it and then Surely he'll be able to pay :roll:
They tried to get me to fraud the government so I could partly pay them.

Why should I have to pay for someone else's mistakes, maybe it won't me finically maybe it's emotionally or physically, there's all kinds of lasting non debt mistakes people have.

Relationships use to be about love and dealing with someone's past mistakes because you love them and they love you. Now relationships are the same as employment, so cold and rational.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 1:09 pm

Yigeren wrote:
Unfortunately, bad credit can affect the other spouse. When getting a mortgage, or buying a car together, bad credit can get in the way. And I'm not sure how the law works, but creditors do tend to go after anyone they can to get their money, legal or not.

Plus a person with bad credit may have absolutely no common sense or self-control when it comes to spending. In that case, the other spouse may have to be constantly on guard to make sure all the money isn't getting "flushed down the toilet" with unnecessary or wasteful expenses.

I would find having to constantly watch my spouse's spending habits to be mentally exhausting, stressful and infuriating. Not worth it.

Actually compared to everyone I know who didn't get bad credit I am very good with money now. They get their pay checks and it all immediately goes to stupid stuff like liquor, candy, new toys. Then they don't have money for food and supplies rest of month. I save and don't wast my money.
But yeah I should probably just die, it's s real shame I wasn't allowed to serv so I could have died over seas :(

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

31 Jan 2016, 5:38 pm

I met all 3 of my girlfriends on forums so I kind of got a feel for their personality & all & didn't feel the need to do a background or credit check. However my 2nd girlfriend's dad insisted on doing a background check on me before he let me & her meetup. She was 19 & her parents were paying for her college & apartment so they had a lot of say over her.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Amarvilasx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2016, 7:26 pm

Running up debts you can't pay speaks to character -- and what's to say you'd behave any less dishonorably in a relationship?

You could have tried to pay your debt. Negotiated with the credit card company. Not ignored huge debt and allowed it to grow.

What if the girl you met wanted to settle down? Try renting an apartment or getting utilities with trashed credit.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 7:34 pm

Try doing anything on your own with trashed credit, even if the trashed credit is your spouse's! No car, no apartment, no house, no trips, no big-money items ...

If banks, businesses, and potential employers refuse your business because of bad credit, then why shouldn't a potential spouse refuse to marry you for the same reason?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 12:50 am

Amarvilasx wrote:
Running up debts you can't pay speaks to character -- and what's to say you'd behave any less dishonorably in a relationship?

You could have tried to pay your debt. Negotiated with the credit card company. Not ignored huge debt and allowed it to grow.

What if the girl you met wanted to settle down? Try renting an apartment or getting utilities with trashed credit.

Unless they'd take 10 a month which they won't. I'm live off of 700 dollars a month. I don't have much if any extra money.

The companies getting the debt wiped clean by taxe payers money but still demanding I pay for money they wiped clean is dishonest.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 12:51 am

Fnord wrote:
Try doing anything on your own with trashed credit, even if the trashed credit is your spouse's! No car, no apartment, no house, no trips, no big-money items ...

If banks, businesses, and potential employers refuse your business because of bad credit, then why shouldn't a potential spouse refuse to marry you for the same reason?

Wow guess I'm imagining my car and house I live in. Or maybe the west coast isn't so bitchy and doesn't run credit checks on people as long as they have a job and pay the down payment.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 12:52 am

Most people in the glory USA have debt. So how are people in relationships how isn't everyone homeless and alone.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 2:32 am

Most people seem to manage their debts better than others. Some have poor credit and still manage to make payments. Others have completely trashed their credit ratings and can't get loans for anything.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 2:38 pm

sly279 wrote:
Probably not. I have bad credit, doesn't make me a bad person. Credit checks shouldn't be used for relationships or work. You only see they have bad credit you don't see why and there's tons of reasons

^^^^^
Yes!! ! This!! !

Amarvilasx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Feb 2016, 5:04 pm

Debt doesn't necessarily result in a trashed credit rating -- people who have mortgages and student loans and even credit card debt that make regular payments tend to have excellent credit.

Trashed credit = irresponsible. Hard to build a future with a person who can't go-sign a lease with you!

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 7:16 pm

You guys sure have fun bashing and putting people down . Only hope someone better then you will bash and put you down

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 7:17 pm

Not being a billionaire=irresponsible and lack of effort.

Idealist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Feb 2016, 7:34 pm

Fnord wrote:
Have you ever used these services? Would you use these services to protect yourself and your family?

I usually consult the ever expanding entity that is the grapevine, which thrives on the believe that everyone is connected to someone, and so everyone knows everything about everyone.

I consider it both rational and sensible to run background checks on all my potential mainstay relationships, and I've been doing it for so long now that I haven't really questioned it.

Though I've never ran a credit check on someone before, though only because I've never opened a joint account before.
Fnord wrote:
Have you ever "stalked" a love-interest on-line to see what kind of person he or she really was?

Not really, about the closest I get to it is checking their social media pages from time to time. I'm aware of some of the Forums that their a part of, and even what some their handles are, but I don't read any of their posts. I usually ask permission to read their online blogs, and often won't if their not comfortable with it.

Idealist wrote:
My Autism was cured/treated in late childhood (this makes me a walking, talking, contradiction to 90% of the Forum who all believe Autism is incurable)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 7:48 pm

sly279 wrote:
You guys sure have fun bashing and putting people down . Only hope someone better then you will bash and put you down
You are taking this way too personally.

What we're saying is that financial irresponsibility is something to be avoided, whether in one's self or in others. It is the behavior of being financially irresponsible that is unattractive, no matter how attractive you may otherwise be.

And while managing one's debt and paying it down does not necessarily "trash" one's credit rating, uncontrolled debt will. A "trashed" credit rating is a de facto indication of one's inability to manage debt; and by default, is a sign of generally irresponsible behavior.

Of course, if you've incurred a massive medical bill at the same time that you have student debt and experienced a layoff, then the only choice may be to declare bankruptcy. Surprisingly, once you've come through the bankruptcy procedure, banks and other lending institutions will virtually fall over themselves to extend you credit. This should be seen as a "second chance" to get your life back together; and after about ten years of frugal living and effective financial management, your credit rating might be good enough to afford a house of your own.

So don't take what we say as an insult, since it is a behavioral issue, not a personal one. Take it instead under advisement; because there are people who perform background checks on potential partners, with or without the knowledge or permission of the person whose background they are checking. And there are people who will avoid relationships with those who have bad credit ratings, just as they will avoid relationships with those who have criminal records, poor health, or spotty employment histories.

Again, what passes for modern "romance" is more like the employment process - a series of interviews, coincident with background checks, ending with an offer or a rejection notice. It's sad, but true; and the only actions to take are either accept it and adapt, or reject it and get used to living a solitary life.

Last edited by Fnord on 01 Feb 2016, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 7:57 pm

sly279 wrote:
Probably not. I have bad credit, doesn't make me a bad person. ... You only see they have bad credit you don't see why and there's tons of reasons.
This is true. However, not all people will see bad credit this way.
sly279 wrote:
Credit checks shouldn't be used for relationships or work.
Unfortunately, not all of those who seek life partners or employees agree with that opinion, and they are the ones who get to decide what they will do to in an effort to protect themselves.

While you may think that it is unfair, everyone has the right to protect themselves from irresponsible behavior, even when it is good people that are behaving irresponsibly.

It is a sad fact; but it is also true.