People always think I look sad or angry. I'm sick of it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

FullMetalAspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Jan 2016, 12:52 am

This happens all the time and I have heard these things all my life. I will just be siting by myself minding my own business and someone will say "smile its not that bad". I have never known what to say or how to react to these things I just try to fake a smile and move on. Even in college when I was the happiest I have ever been (when I had friends for once) nosey professors would still come up to my friends lunch table ask why I looked so sad and if I was upset. I had always just wanted to tell these people that call me out that no I'm not sad its just my face. Which yes sounds crazy but I have looked at myself in the mirror before and I admit that I have a sad and derpy looking face.
Lately though I must admit I have been sad because I no longer have a group of friends. In the past year or so I have seen a decline in people coming up to me actually worried that I was upset. Now I feel mostly that people think that I'm angry or grumpy. I feel as though my coworkers are scared of me. I still get the "hey smile kid" but I feel like they say it because they think I'm a grump. Just the other day I was paying for gas and the clerk asked me where I was going and I replied I was going to work, to which she replied "well you don't look to happy about it".
Its little things like these that catch me off guard its like I'm just pumping my gas I'm not thinking about anything. Its like I don't have a neutral facial expression unless I'm super smiley and talkative people would think I'm sad or a grump.
Is the reason people tell me these things because I don't talk much and stay by myself or is that unrelated?
If you can relate how do you deal with people saying these things?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 11:36 am

It makes me annoyed too when people expect me to smile when I'm deep in thought or feeling uneasy/anxious about something. I remember once I was waiting at a bus stop after work, and I was really cold and tired (I usually get tired after work), and I just wanted to get home in the warm, and then I felt this man staring then he said, ''cheer up!'' I looked up at him then walked away and stood somewhere else. I know he was just being friendly but it wasn't really the right time to just say something like that to me. Anyway, how do strangers have the guts to say that to someone anyway? I mean, for all he knew, I could have just lost my job today, or a loved one could be ill or even passed away recently, or I could be in the early stages of pregnancy and feeling emotional, or anything.

You'd thought NTs would know how to have consideration for people. :?