Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 2:37 am

I have a Regional Center counselor & an Independent Living Skill person. When people here get ask tooooo many questions & you get so overwhelmed & then you might cry, how do you handle it? The last time I met with my counselor, she asked me toooo many questions & I got so overwhelmed & I cried. I don't want to give them too much information.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 5:21 am

Tell her to slow down

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 7:22 am

^^^ agreed. OR, you can say "I'm starting to shut down. I won't be able to answer any more questions today." Or something like that.

It's perfectly all right to do that.

Hope you have a good day.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 9:17 am

BeaArthur wrote:
^^^ agreed. OR, you can say "I'm starting to shut down. I won't be able to answer any more questions today." Or something like that.

It's perfectly all right to do that.

Hope you have a good day.
I'm kinda wondering why the counselor doesn't see it and alter the approach. Or, is this one of those titles that says 'counselor' but no real training or anything else. Just a paper pusher trying to make the quota.
I agree that you should try to tell someone what you suggest. But I can say that there are times, with myself, a trigger will cause and overload, or it's the old 'straw that broke the camel's back' type of thing, and there is no time to say anything.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 9:40 am

I've had the experience a number of times where a helping professional, say an investment counselor or a physical therapist, will be offering more and more information or asking me to make decisions. I just candidly tell them, "I think I've reached my saturation point" or "I can't handle any more information, could we stop for today?"

If you don't indicate what's going on for you mentally, it often can be nearly impossible for the other person to know when to stop. If you keep nodding and saying uh-huh, they think all is well.

This is an easy skill to learn. Just don't be surprised when you have to use it in any of a number of situations. Like one time at a Mexican restaurant, I decided to live dangerously and order a margarita. Well the waitress asked, do you want this kind or that kind, salt on the rim or no, blended or shaken, up or down, this liquor or that liquor. Finally I told her, if you ask me one more question about it, I'm just cancelling the margarita altogether. I didn't expect it to be so hard to order a drink!

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 7:43 pm

She's a real counselor, she works at Regional Center, she helps me in life. We have meetings every 3 months. I told her in an email that I'm depressed & very overwhelmed in life, she didn't care, she told me the meeting will be a hour. When I'm depressed & very overwhelmed, I don't feel like talking too much & it hard for me think. She care more about her job than one of her clients. We have a meeting this Friday at 10 AM, she set up the appointment without telling me first. I can't see her anyway, I'm getting my hair done. Why is it that just because I'm not working, people will think that I will be home all day everyday? I may not have too much of a life, but I still want to go out & get a life.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 8:05 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Tell her to slow down

If you can't say that during the appoinment, maybe send an email to ask her to slow down with the questions next time you meet -- and explain why you need her to slow down.

I might ask her to email me at least some of her questions before the appointment so I could think about them and come up with answers.

Love transcends all.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 9:34 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
She's a real counselor, she works at Regional Center, she helps me in life. We have meetings every 3 months. I told her in an email that I'm depressed & very overwhelmed in life, she didn't care, she told me the meeting will be a hour. When I'm depressed & very overwhelmed, I don't feel like talking too much & it hard for me think. She care more about her job than one of her clients. We have a meeting this Friday at 10 AM, she set up the appointment without telling me first. I can't see her anyway, I'm getting my hair done. Why is it that just because I'm not working, people will think that I will be home all day everyday? I may not have too much of a life, but I still want to go out & get a life.
If you are unhappy, start to find a new therapist immediately. They are there to service your needs, not there for you to pay for their pool. If you are unhappy you need to move. You will not change this person for any reasons you can think of.

You're in a movie....
Run.....

Run fast!! !!

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 10:43 pm

zkydz wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:
If you are unhappy, start to find a new therapist immediately. They are there to service your needs, not there for you to pay for their pool. If you are unhappy you need to move. You will not change this person for any reasons you can think of.

You're in a movie....
Run.....

Kitty said she is her counselor, that is not always the same as therapist. Staff in a lot of human services agencies will try to look after your needs the best they know how, but they don't necessarily have much mental health training.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 10:45 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:

Kitty, I think getting out and getting your hair done is an entirely valid thing to do and might make you feel cheered up a little. When an agency makes an appointment without even asking you, it is all right to let them know you have a schedule conflict and ask for a different time.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 10:49 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
zkydz wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

You're in a movie....
Run.....

Kitty said she is her counselor, that is not always the same as therapist. Staff in a lot of human services agencies will try to look after your needs the best they know how, but they don't necessarily have much mental health training.
Ummmm...yeah...LOL....I was conflating the two. Thank you for straightening that out :) Bowing out and listening now ;)

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 9:29 pm

If you cannot explain yourself in words verbally, explain yourself in writing. The email was a good idea. Another idea may be typing out your thoughts, printing them out and bringing them with you to the appointment.