Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 4:09 pm

How do people feel about it?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 5:41 pm

Used to kinda dislike it when I was depressed. Pretty indifferent about it these days. The last few years I've made a homemade v-day card for one of my closest friends, because I <3 his friendship. I'll probably carry on the tradition and do it again this year. I also look forward to giving little chocolate gifts and such to my God kids and nephews - v-day is just another excuse to give kids treats and make them smile.

This year I'm considering going to a super gay dance party on valentines weekend Saturday. It's mainly being billed as a celebration of being single and just for a good time vs. a couples event & that's kinda right up my alley as the last year or two I certainly haven't felt lonely, just.. single. I'm totally content with that, though, as I'd rather be single than in a relationship for a relationship's sake. Waiting until I meet the right one I click with vs. dating someone I'm not interested in - hence declining many offers over the years. Anyways, yeah, I might just go out and have fun with a bunch of single people out for a good time this v-day. If I do, it'll be a first. Hmm

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 5:49 pm

My parents were married on Valentine's Day, so personally it's special to me for that reason, and I don't see it as just a day for people in love but for friends and relatives you care about as well.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 3:32 pm

I used to hate it and not care about it because I always thought it was a couples-only holiday and I was lonely at the time. Now that I am married, I look forward to it, and my husband and I already got each other something for that day.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 3:36 pm

Entirely indifferent to it, it's like a presidents birthday or something like that. Never done anything for it.

No Arab loves the desert. We love water and green trees, there is nothing in the desert. No man needs nothing.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 3:49 pm

My GF and I are both indifferent about Valentines Day.

Rockymntchris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2016, 4:00 pm

I only give candy, so it's just another holliday for chowing down sweets at my house, much like Easter.
I hate flowers, as I have a severe contact allergy to them as well as live plants. In addition I've never seen any beauty in fresh cut flowers, only objects in stage one of their demise.

Zaye
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Feb 2016, 5:33 pm

Just another Hallmark Holiday to me~

I can't dislike it, because people give me candy.

Though I think I'd feel sad if I didn't get any candy, mostly because I'm used to getting at least a little bit from family.

If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve. - Lao Tzu

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 7:06 pm

Zaye wrote:
Just another Hallmark Holiday to me~

I can't dislike it, because people give me candy.

Though I think I'd feel sad if I didn't get any candy, mostly because I'm used to getting at least a little bit from family.

And that right there is the value of Hallmark Holidays. I don't much care for the consumption for consumerisms sake part of it, but I do appreciate the additional excuses/year to give gifts and show family, friends, and little ones a little love - whether with something store bought or homemade, expensive or incredibly inexpensive, it doesn't matter. It's the whole process of giving & receiving and making someone smile because you thought of them. I enjoy all of that, anyways.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 8:30 pm

I don't like it, cuz I have no boyfriend. When I was in high school, they were selling teddy bears, balloons, telegram & more things for Valentines Day, made me jealous.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 8:31 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
How do people feel about it?
On the advice of council, I invoke my rights under the First and Fifth Amendments of the United States Constitution.

:pale: I hope my wife never sees this!

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 8:33 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I don't see it as just a day for people in love but for friends and relatives you care about as well.

Agreed. I like it, though I don't really do much for it, it's always nice to get valentines and know you are appreciated, and to get candy :)

rude1
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Feb 2016, 8:41 pm

The best part is eating those little conversation heart candies. I love those. Everything else? Not so much.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 8:47 pm

... Nothing. :lol: It's just another day for me. Only difference is everyone else's doing.

Some takes it as an excuse, some goes sober because they don't have a date or being single.

We have a joke here, whereas if you love someone, light a candle for them. If you're alone, light a mosquito coil so your 'company' won't feast on you alone. :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 8:50 pm

I've been shot by Cupid's Arrow a few times....