Page 3 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 1:48 pm

^It would great to see a company make a candy box in the shape of an actual human heart!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 2:16 pm

I hate valentine's day too.

Perhaps cards could display other organs alongside the heart, so if you sent a valentine's card with a message asking the person to go for a drink with you, the card could have a heart and a liver, perhaps the urinary tract system inside the card as a pop-out.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 2:33 pm

QuillAlba wrote:
Perhaps cards could display other organs alongside the heart, so if you sent a valentine's card with a message asking the person to go for a drink with you, the card could have a heart and a liver, perhaps the urinary tract system inside the card as a pop-out.

Haha, yes. And that brings me to my next gripe, sayings like "the heart wants, what the heart wants." They confuse the heart with the brain. So really people should be telling their partners things like "I love you with all of my brain."

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 3:27 pm

AuroraBorealisGazer wrote:
QuillAlba wrote:

Haha, yes. And that brings me to my next gripe, sayings like "the heart wants, what the heart wants." They confuse the heart with the brain. So really people should be telling their partners things like "I love you with all of my brain."

I think it's a reference to how the heart starts going all funny when things are emotional.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 3:34 pm

I hate how Valentine's Day perpetuates the myth that this ---> :heart: is what a heart looks like.
That's not a heart! This is a heart:

Sheesh, general populace! If you want to show someone you care, do so by illustrating you have at least a rudimentary understanding of human anatomy!

I think the real one looks cooler...lol you know how there are clothes with heart patterns that use the mythological heart, I've always thought a print of real hearts would be cooler, maybe with skulls.

Anngables
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 3:34 pm

I'm NT and married and hate Valentine's Day. It's pretentious money spinning exercise. Guaranteed to make single people feel shite about themselves. And by the way I would however LOVE a urinary tract card . . . .wee go,together maybe? :heart: :ninja:

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 3:52 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I hate how Valentine's Day perpetuates the myth that this ---> :heart: is what a heart looks like.

Sheesh, general populace! If you want to show someone you care, do so by illustrating you have at least a rudimentary understanding of human anatomy!

I think the real one looks cooler...lol you know how there are clothes with heart patterns that use the mythological heart, I've always thought a print of real hearts would be cooler, maybe with skulls.

:D I agree! I have an anatomical heart necklace like this one:
And I think it's way cooler than those cheesy "heart" necklaces they sell at jewelry stores.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 6:36 pm

The amazing thing I find about Vday: All men hate Valetines Day, including men with partners.

And yes, it's ALL, not most, not some...it's ALL. Every one of them.

Every man in relationship I personally know hates it and finds it so stupid, yet they buy gifts and take their ladies to an expensive romantic dinner anyway, you know why?

Because they are too afraid if they do otherwise that their women would feel neglected, or that they would think of them as cheapskate. Sure, some women wouldn't care, but men would always take the least risky option.

It's simply they feel it's like an obligation imposed on them,.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 9:37 pm

Valentine's Day used to erk me a fair bit, but I find I'm not as bothered by it anymore.

I guess the fact that I'm in the process of arranging a coffee date with a girl for sometime next week kinda helps too.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 5:12 am

@TheGrandInquisitor:

Whoa, where did this come from man? Good on you!

And liking the new profile pic!

Anyway, about Valentine's Day:

I dislike it. I'm very anti-consumerism and valentine's day is just a commercial money-fest.

I think it's also perfectly justified and reasonable for single people to feel miserable on the day - most of us singles get tired enough just seeing publics in couple and PDA and feel jealous over that, so the weeks preceding up to Valentine's day, where the stores are full of the stuff, and the actual full 24 hour day itself, is one big method for others to flaunt, show-off and shove their happy relationships right in our face.

While I have been in two very short relationships, this will be yet another year of Valentine's being single. Even if I was in a relationship, I would not buy anything but at most write a letter/poem for my special one, or even just do it on another day just to troll the day and what it stands for.

If I had a relationship I'd celebrate the day BEFORE the day - it might actually be better, stores won't be flooded with last minute gifts, there won't be annoying singles everywhere, etc.

Anyway, I've been thinking, this may be the first year I'll decide to get drunk for Valentine's day. It will also be the day I choose to eat unhealthy and deviate from my healthy diet anyway, so vodka and yummy fast food it is!!

P.S. Valentine's day is TOMORROW down under...

Amarvilasx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2016, 1:58 pm

If you're not into Valentine's Day, you're not into Valentine's Day. La-Dee-dah.

I'm happily coupled up and kinda meh on the holiday - and told my boyfriend so. So were exchanging cards. That's it. We're both cool with it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Feb 2016, 4:54 pm

probly.an.aspie wrote:
nick007 wrote:
It made me depressed & frustrated when I was single & lonely. It's not a big deal to me now that I have someone thou cuz I try to be affectionate & loving with her everyday. I don't need a specie day putting pressure on me to be romantic cuz I'm not really a romantic person.

In the book "Belles on their Toes," the sequel to the book/movie "Cheaper by the Dozen," mother Lillian Gilbreth told her children that anyone who needed to set aside a special day for Mother's Day must be trying to atone for 364 days of previous neglect. Sometimes I feel that way about Valentine's Day--seems like a lot of people think they have a lot of neglect to atone for. I don't always do something special for hubby on Valentine's Day; some years I do. But IMO, it is more important to love him all the other days too, than to make a huge splash one day of the year.
That's kind of how I feel too. My girlfriend's dad used to show her love buy buying her candy & food for her in general(not just on holidays but more so on vDay. My girlfriend's kind of disappointed that I'm not the same way cuz that's how she's used to feeling loved so I kind of had to buy her a box of chocolates & she bought a couple things for herself using my credit-card so it saved me the trouble of having to get other things & she bought me a couple things too.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 6:09 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
The time of year everyone else is with somebody and your all alone with nobody! I get very depressed on this day and angry. It is a reminder that you'll never be with anyone for yet another year. To hell with this crap time to get drunk and watch Deadpool!
Don't do it. Don't watch Deadpool.

No really it's an excellent movie but it does involve Deadpool entering into an LTR with this really pretty girl who makes Star Wars references. Watching Deadpool might just make you feel worse.

For those who are single, perhaps they should remember that it used to be a Valentine's Day tradition to send a card to the one you like who doesn't know you like them yet, rather than to someone you're already in a relationship with. In other words Valentine's Day used to be very much for the benefit of single people, so they could start a relationship, rather than for the benefit of people who are already in a relationship.

That's the whole point of giving a card to someone you want to be in a relationship with but aren't in one with yet. There's still time time for that folks.

Or if you want to have a really old fashioned Valentine's Day you could celebrate the life and martyrdom of Saint Valentine, who was tortured to death by the Romans for the crime of suggesting we should be nice to each other. He didn't really do anything romantic. The association of his day with romance was made much later by Geoffrey Chaucer in the 14th century.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 6:59 pm

Aspie202 wrote:
Jono wrote:
Valentine's Day is always depressing. Especially when you have no partner.

Well said! Everyone at my school is giving out valentines to everyone I know, while I have none.
Maybe that's a sign you should try giving a valentine's day card, instead of waiting for someone to give one to you.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 1:08 am

Outrider wrote:
@TheGrandInquisitor:

Whoa, where did this come from man? Good on you!

And liking the new profile pic!

Cheers man.

Long story short, I started messaging a girl from a Facebook group I'm in and as I was ending the conversation, I asked her out for coffee. She's said yes, but date and time are yet to be confirmed. So I guess we'll see what happens.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 2:28 am

I would love to get a Valentine's Day card with that picture on it!