Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Nov 2015
Posts: 697

11 Feb 2016, 11:49 am

At college we had group work and we had to go into another classroom to do it. Also we were meant to go in pairs but there was an odd number and i didnt want to do it and made an excuse to go. I walked off away from everyone but then got worried about the cctv cameras and went back to get my bag.
The teacher caught me and said to stay in the main classroom while the others did group work. I proper scratched my arm up but nobody knew. I dont want to get into trouble cos everyone prob thinks i was being difficult on purpose and that i should not overreact so much. :( i didnt know what to do cos i dont know who to work with and i was worried if i couldnt get out so i left asap.



DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2015
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Posts: 238
Location: floating on the molecular clouds of interstellar space

11 Feb 2016, 12:02 pm

Oh my, I am sorry you had to go through that. :( I am currently at College too, and I HATE group work! It is possibly the worst thing to come into existence, why must such a thing be mandatory?! And was it the noise of the classroom that made you anxious? During group work the room suddenly booms with noise, and it can be unbearably unpleasant to be in a room filled with loud chatter... It's like their voices mesh into one, to create a discombobulated murmur that consists of different narratives and voices. Horrible!


_________________
Quote:
"A score does not define you as a person" - Bang Yong Guk, B.A.P.


Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Nov 2015
Posts: 697

11 Feb 2016, 12:21 pm

I think mostly because i wasnt prepared. Usually when have to do group work the tutor places me with someone so i dont have to ask but this time she didnt. Idk when i went into the classroom i just thought nope and left. The tutor said she will work with me but i was already set on leaving. The group was was the kind of thing i could have done by myself tbh.



DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2015
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Posts: 238
Location: floating on the molecular clouds of interstellar space

11 Feb 2016, 1:19 pm

Starfoxx wrote:
I think mostly because i wasnt prepared. Usually when have to do group work the tutor places me with someone so i dont have to ask but this time she didnt. Idk when i went into the classroom i just thought nope and left. The tutor said she will work with me but i was already set on leaving. The group was was the kind of thing i could have done by myself tbh.


I understand, I hate being put in unexpected situations that I am unprepared for - my instinctual reaction is to escape, if placed in such an uncomfortable situation. I do not blame you for leaving at all. Your teacher should have allowed you to work outside of class if she/he knew that you struggle with this. And I hate that too, why set a group task that could easily be done by one person?


_________________
Quote:
"A score does not define you as a person" - Bang Yong Guk, B.A.P.


EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,078
Location: Twin Peaks

11 Feb 2016, 1:33 pm

Oh god I hate that being put into pairs thing. I would have done what you did. They should understand how much that sucks for some people. Especially when unexpected.



StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,116
Location: Starship Voyager, somewhere in the Delta quadrant

11 Feb 2016, 4:21 pm

Group work is, and has always been, my very least favourite thing about school. It's anxiety-provoking, noisy, and if it's a long-term project, the constant forced communication gets incrediby tedious and exhausting. Often, my teammates disagree with me about the best way to do the project, because they're lazy and want to do it the easy but unimaginative way, or don't understand what I'm trying to explain, so we end up arguing because I can be quite stubborn when I think I'm right, and the whole time I'm just wishing I could work alone, avoid the forced socialisation, and do things my way. Studies have even shown that group work isn't as effective at coming up with creative or effective ideas as when people work individually.


_________________
"Survival is insufficient" - Seven of Nine
Diagnosed with ASD level 1 on the 10th of April, 2014
Rediagnosed with ASD level 2 on the 4th of May, 2019
Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!


Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 341
Location: Australia

12 Feb 2016, 1:36 am

StarTrekker wrote:
Group work is, and has always been, my very least favourite thing about school. It's anxiety-provoking, noisy, and if it's a long-term project, the constant forced communication gets incrediby tedious and exhausting. Often, my teammates disagree with me about the best way to do the project, because they're lazy and want to do it the easy but unimaginative way, or don't understand what I'm trying to explain, so we end up arguing because I can be quite stubborn when I think I'm right, and the whole time I'm just wishing I could work alone, avoid the forced socialisation, and do things my way.


Yep. I have exactly the same problems with group work. Additionally, if you happen to be aiming for high marks like I was during undergraduate science, you end up having to do the bulk of the work because the chances are that most others in the group won't have the drive or the ability to work to the same high standards. Frustrating as hell.

StarTrekker wrote:
Studies have even shown that group work isn't as effective at coming up with creative or effective ideas as when people work individually.


I've heard that, although I haven't read those studies myself. It's certainly true for me, however, as I can't think properly when I have to work with others.



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 20,401
Location: Long Island, New York

12 Feb 2016, 7:31 am

On a bunch of other threads we old people are bitching about how bad it was growing in the era of little knowledge of autism. Dispite the gained knowledge the constant emphasis on group work today vs individual work way back when and other factors such as ABA makes bieng Autistic harder today IMHO.

Based on the quality of products today those stidies indicating individual work is more effective does not surprise me.


_________________
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 103,497
Location: Hanging out with my fellow Sweet Peas at Stalag 13

12 Feb 2016, 8:51 pm

I didn't have a very good college life either.


_________________
Schultz

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645