Professional clinicians vs. lived ASD experience

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2020, 1:27 pm

elbowgrease wrote:
I think that sometimes axes need to be ground.

But surely not in a group of people who are trying to co-operate to find out about autism? OTOH I'm attracted to the idea of waging war on the bastards who say we're all faking disability to get an easy ride at their expense or that advocate or sell some of these "cures":
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ove-deadly

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2020, 2:54 pm

Dr. Natalie Engelbrecht is autistic psychotherapist who writes very positive ND articles. I just saw an article by her published somewhere else online.

Embrace ASD

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2020, 7:58 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
elbowgrease wrote:
I think that sometimes axes need to be ground.

But surely not in a group of people who are trying to co-operate to find out about autism? OTOH I'm attracted to the idea of waging war on the bastards who say we're all faking disability to get an easy ride at their expense or that advocate or sell some of these "cures":
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ove-deadly

I think that a part of cooperating is being willing to hear the other side, and sometimes the other side can be pretty dark and dirty. I think the medical system and the mental health industry really needs to change, and that in order to change it might need to face (can't think of the word or phrase right now). What happens when a doctor misdiagnoses someone, and that diagnosis is a really ugly label that alters the way everyone who ever hears about it treats that person? What happens when the first option is drugs, and none of the other options are even considered? In order to face that, they need to hear it, see it, be aware of it. And some of that may involve politics, and it may be really emotional. And it might be ugly.
I almost didn't reply to this post because I can't really comment on this subject without getting bent out of shape, and my comment wasn't directed at you, just seemed like an opportunity to say a lot without saying much. I have an axe to grind with the mental health industry, and I'm probably never going to get to grind it. And I found myself logged in and halfway through a crazy rant at least three times (which I cancelled before I posted).
It's something I feel like I shouldn't allow myself to completely be quiet about until something actually changes, but picking the time and place and maintaining a level enough head to be semi-productive is not always easy.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2020, 11:30 pm

^ I think there's merit in what you say.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2020, 6:49 pm

underwater wrote:
Joshua Muggleton is an autistic psychologist.

So is Christian Stewart-Ferrer. But they mostly work in clinical practice. I would like to see more autistic researchers. Then we would get somewhere.

If neurotypical researchers, I quite like the work of Francesca Happe.

See Why autism research needs more input from autistic people by Elle Loughran, Spectrum News, 11 February 2020.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2020, 7:06 pm

^^ This still won't get qualified Aspies promoted. Too many fools would lose their jobs.