Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

flagreen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Feb 2016, 11:46 pm

Okie so in a new location rebuilding my life. Ways I can think of to meet new people, any more ideas?

Mutual interests (hobbies, work)
Clubs and organizations
Take a class
Neighbors
Library
Grocery store

Would be nice to have friends again, men and women. Romance and relationships aside, need to find companionship.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 3:16 am

Meet Up. There's something for everyone, it is inexpensive (a one off small joining fee). I have made some really close friends through the two groups I belong to. Some groups are age restricted (travel for the over-50s is one I belong to, am about to leave on a cruise with some of the other members) and some are general. I have met really nice, sincere people of different ages and the groups I belong to are very welcoming of and inclusive toward new arrivals. I was never much of a joiner before Meet-Up, and it has added a lot to my life. The key is to choose the groups which will be a good match for you, your issues and/or your interests.

esoterica181
Raven
Raven

19 Feb 2016, 6:12 pm

No matter what route you choose, remember that you rock!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 6:26 pm

What part of the world are you in?

There Are Four Lights!

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2016, 10:18 am

B19's suggestion sounds positive. I've never joined a meet-up group, but, I did go with a group of like-minded folks, on weekend adventures around historical areas of Los Angeles, and I met some very nice and interesting people. I did not stay in touch with any of them, but, I suppose if I had made an effort, I could have.

I made a (somewhat) friend just by way of keeping the same work schedule. We wound up watching films, together, on his office computer, after hours which was really nice. Sadly, he recently moved to a different firm, so that ended almost as soon as it began. But, that's my most prefered way of connecting with others. It rarely happens, but it feels most natural.

My cousin who is an architect, took some related classes, for fun, at his local city college and met his wife in one of his classes. They have been married for over 20 years.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 1:38 pm

The only one that works for me is meeting people online xD Where I currently am, there is literally nothing out here for me so clubs, book stores, and grocery stores are literally out of the question. Though I never known anyone to "meet people at a grocery store", most times if you go to the super market most people are too busy to even care about your existence they either worked all day or getting ready to go to work so they only go in for a few things and come out.

languagehopper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jul 2019, 2:36 am

You are not middle-aged!! !

34 is young!

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 3:59 pm

Depending on your interests, I've had success with geeky hobbies like DnD. A small group of consistent people is much easier than new faces every week at a Meet Up, at least for me.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 4:13 pm

I think for fast talking NT's, finding opportunity to hook up is easy for some.
As its the social interaction that opens the doors.

Having ASD can often compromise this in a major way, not knowing what to say, not being able to read situations, not being able to read body language, being dyslexic, having anxiety, all have major impact on being able to engage with potential partners. Sometimes, the opportunities are there right in front of us, but we are either unaware, misread or just simple know what to do about it until it is too late.

This is what happens to me, although to some extent i wonder if i sabotage my own success.
So it isn't necessarily where you are, but how you act, when it come to making relationships.
Like i say, i am rubbish at this.

Still out of interest.
A few other places that you can consider.

Coffee Shops / Cafe's / Libraries / Nightclubs / pubs / beach / swimming pools.
Places that you and the others go to regularly.

Even neighbours who live around you. As it is very convenient.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 4:19 pm

Be smiley, happy, friendly, ask people about themselves, speak well of other people.

The original post is 3 years old.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 4:24 pm

languagehopper wrote:
You are not middle-aged!! 34 is young!
lysDexia strikes again. The OP is 43.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 4:25 pm

Fnord wrote:
languagehopper wrote:
You are not middle-aged!! 34 is young!
lysDexia strikes again. The OP is 43.

:lol:

flagreen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2019, 11:43 pm

OP here, actually 44.

Still applies. I have tried my hobbies and interests. Closest Meetups are an hour away, and I thought about starting one up, looked at fee$. This area does NOT impress me. I want out.

I do realize that starting over takes time. I Read an average of 8 years to get settled and established, but socially for us is different. :(

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 6:31 am

There’s so much on YouTube that I don’t even need a TV lol.

You learn so much about the world through vlogs from distant nations.

Much more than all the political crap in the Internet these days.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 9:34 am

4 months from middle age here.

My issue is how to find people who like animated sitcoms and are close to my age (most with those interests are in their 20s), and who can tolerate my centrist political beliefs.

Houston itself is mostly liberal Democrats, but the suburban areas (save for older areas of Pasadena, our largest suburb) are Trump central.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2019, 11:48 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
4 months from middle age here.

My issue is how to find people who like animated sitcoms and are close to my age (most with those interests are in their 20s), and who can tolerate my centrist political beliefs.

I would suggest that you not worry too much about the age of your friends as long as they are at least over 21. Autistic people often have difficulty fitting in with age-peers anyway. I would suggest that you just look for adults, of whatever age, who share your interests and values.

When I was in my twenties, most of my friends were 10 to 20 years older than me. These days, my boyfriend is 11 years younger than me, and various people I'm in process of getting to know as potential friends range from a little older than me to about 25-30 years younger.