Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2019, 11:48 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
4 months from middle age here.

My issue is how to find people who like animated sitcoms and are close to my age (most with those interests are in their 20s), and who can tolerate my centrist political beliefs.

I would suggest that you not worry too much about the age of your friends as long as they are at least over 21. Autistic people often have difficulty fitting in with age-peers anyway. I would suggest that you just look for adults, of whatever age, who share your interests and values.

When I was in my twenties, most of my friends were 10 to 20 years older than me. These days, my boyfriend is 11 years younger than me, and various people I'm in process of getting to know as potential friends range from a little older than me to about 25-30 years younger.

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 7:22 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
4 months from middle age here.

My issue is how to find people who like animated sitcoms and are close to my age (most with those interests are in their 20s), and who can tolerate my centrist political beliefs.

I would suggest that you not worry too much about the age of your friends as long as they are at least over 21. Autistic people often have difficulty fitting in with age-peers anyway. I would suggest that you just look for adults, of whatever age, who share your interests and values.

When I was in my twenties, most of my friends were 10 to 20 years older than me. These days, my boyfriend is 11 years younger than me, and various people I'm in process of getting to know as potential friends range from a little older than me to about 25-30 years younger.

Second that about age. I have always preferred old folk--less drama. Also more inclined to stay at home, go to bed early, not stay out too late. All good things in my book.

RE: Tim_Tex. As for worrying about who to find that likes animated sitcoms and centrist politics, isn't that most of the world? Centrist means right there in the middle. Even though I'm not crazy about animated sitcoms, I wouldn't change the channel if one came up and don't know anyone with an aversion to them. My stepfather was crazy about South Park, while I liked the Simpsons for a time, and watched Family Guy a few times. Don't know if that is what you had in mind.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2019, 12:10 am

The costs (moneywise) of participating in social activities over a long-enough term to establish friendships can be a barrier.

Personally, I feel that programs in the arts e.g., painting, drawing, sculpture, theater can "break the ice" so to speak in meeting new people.

Meetup.com may have affordable activities in your area. Meetup also allows members to suggest activities; yet there has to be that "critical mass of interest" initially to consider developing new venues.

* 'Makerspace' programs in many communities are resources to investigate (LINK bottom of page).

* Community colleges, parks & recreation might have affordable options.

LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_makerspace