Iceberg crashes into Antarctica; 150k penguins dead

Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

18 Feb 2016, 5:56 pm

150k is a lot of birds, how many penguins are there anyway?

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2016, 6:04 pm

^ There are approximately 2.5 million breeding pairs, so 5 million + individuals, of the particular penguin species. It's just one colony of many and it sounds like they immigrated to another location and didn't die after all.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 1:16 am

Feyokien wrote:
^ There are approximately 2.5 million breeding pairs, so 5 million + individuals, of the particular penguin species. It's just one colony of many and it sounds like they immigrated to another location and didn't die after all.

And thats just one species. There are atleast a dozen species of penquins. Penguins happened to be common in a huge part of the world where humans are not common: the Antarctic ocean.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 7:50 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
This makes Tux sad. :(
Why wouldn't they just swim away, well it is there, colony ground. Pieplup sad!

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 8:16 am

Only 1 in 15 Penguins survived that make repopulating difficult, unless the pairs of penguin mates teamed up. No guin left behind.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 9:48 am

Such a waste of good, juicy big-and-plump-bird meat! It must be a wonderful experience to eat them barbecued there, in the middle of the ice.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 12:39 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Such a waste of good, juicy big-and-plump-bird meat! It must be a wonderful experience to eat them barbecued there, in the middle of the ice.

Ugh - ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

I mean, sure it would be an unique experience and at least you'd get your vitamin C, but have you even CONSIDERED the following?

a) Duck and geese have maybe 6% fat. Penquin at the peak is 30%. Really, really gross.
b) According to Francis Cook in 1897, they taste like, " “a piece of beef, odiferous cod fish and a canvas-backed duck roasted together in a pot, with blood and cod-liver oil for sauce”
c) Both charcoal & propane BBQ's are damn near impossible to get hot enough when it's freezing outside & those birds are frozen solid by now. You still have to thaw them & then there's the cleaning.
d) 150k birds. That's roughly 137 years of penguin for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

(yes - I'm joking around, now that it's fairly sure the media over-reacted and biologists seem confident the colony simply migrated away. Apart from being semi-vegetarian, I see nothing wrong with eating them esp. if they're already dead. Most predators in the antarctic wouldn't touch them so they'd just go to waste.)

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 12:49 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
"odiferous cod fish... with blood and cod-liver oil for sauce”

Thanks for sharing Cook's vivid sensory portrait. Now I think I won't be able to eat lunch. The concept of odiferous cod fish and the sense memory of cod liver oil started to induce a gag reflex.

:eew:

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 3:41 pm

I call it, "The Penguin Diet". Whenever I'm about to succumb to the call of a luscious New York Cheesecake (rare as they are out here)...I think of Antarctic Fowl, slow cooking in a pot. :pale:

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 3:51 pm

Spiderpig wrote:

Thanks, for the vivid thought of someone cooking a Piplup...

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 5:08 pm

Edenthiel wrote:

I mean, sure it would be an unique experience and at least you'd get your vitamin C, but have you even CONSIDERED the following?

a) Duck and geese have maybe 6% fat. Penquin at the peak is 30%. Really, really gross.

What's so gross about that? You eat as much fat as you want and use the rest as fuel, to fry, to make soap.... I'm sure it's much healthier than the fat in pork anyway. Besides, you need it in a cold climate.

Edenthiel wrote:
b) According to Francis Cook in 1897, they taste like, " “a piece of beef, odiferous cod fish and a canvas-backed duck roasted together in a pot, with blood and cod-liver oil for sauce”

Ha, ha, I like cod, cod-liver oil and roasted blood, so they must be really tasty :lol:

Edenthiel wrote:
c) Both charcoal & propane BBQ's are damn near impossible to get hot enough when it's freezing outside & those birds are frozen solid by now. You still have to thaw them & then there's the cleaning.

So clean the carcasses in a shelter and use something more powerful to make the fire.

Edenthiel wrote:
d) 150k birds. That's roughly 137 years of penguin for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Yum! And you don't need a freezer to store them!

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 5:13 pm

I would think that the very low temperature would make them a solid block of dead penguins. After defrosting, the carcasses would probably be "freezer burned" and not very tasty. They would have needed to be vacuum-sealed before freezing.

I know that people have eaten 10,000+ year old frozen mammoth meat, but that couldn't have been good either.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 8:24 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Edenthiel wrote:

What's so gross about that? You eat as much fat as you want and use the rest as fuel, to fry, to make soap.... I'm sure it's much healthier than the fat in pork anyway. Besides, you need it in a cold climate.

Edenthiel wrote:

Ha, ha, I like cod, cod-liver oil and roasted blood, so they must be really tasty :lol:

Edenthiel wrote:

So clean the carcasses in a shelter and use something more powerful to make the fire.

Edenthiel wrote:

Yum! And you don't need a freezer to store them!

From what I read, it's not just a layer of blubber but rather throughout the muscle meat in huge amounts, too. I have really nasty memories of being at my Grandmothers when she'd serve a New Years Eve goose or duck. It was so incredibly fatty the skeleton would be on the serving platter surrounded by a pile of slimy meat slivers that fell off of their own greasy accord.

But please, do enjoy your meal! I'll just bow out, thanks. ;)

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2016, 10:21 pm

The 5 vs 40 miles thing seems a bit odd. Maybe the people writing the articles got some of the facts a bit off?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 3:48 pm

Are you kidding me?! 150,000?! :o

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 4:59 pm

That's a lot of no longer needed tuxedos!