I'm probably just imagining this but....

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

dontwanttoknow
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2007, 10:01 pm

...after what happened in Virginia, and the reports that the shooter was a "loner" and didn't have friends and had problems communicating, I came into work today and it seemed my co-workers were acting funny towards me. A couple of them seemed more unfriendly, as if they were afraid I was going to try to socialize with them and they were afraid of me. I hope they don't think I'm like that guy just because no one at work wants to eat lunch with me and they probably suspect I don't have much of a life outside work. I'm not and never have been homicidal!

I wonder if maybe I'm just imagining this though. One guy in particular seemed really unfriendly, looking away from me, etc.

The thing is, the last few weeks I've been leaving for lunch early so I don't have to worry that people are going to lunch in a group and not inviting me, as I mentioned on a couple other threads in here. Now I suppose they think I'm like that guy in that I'm avoiding contact with people, when it was that people were avoiding asking me to lunch and not including me.

I also might add that I have to spend 2-1/2 hours on the front desk, answering phones and I also greet people when they walk by if they are llooking my way--I don't think anyone there could characterize me as sullen or unfriendly. The worst they could probably say is shy and anxious, and overly afraid of the owner of the company.

Spartan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Apr 2007, 2:14 am

That may be the case, but if so, they are incredibly dense because isolating and alienating the killer is what made him go loco. If that's what they suspected, it would only make sense that they begin to befriend you in hopes u don't get pissed at them..

Other than that, maybe it's something else. I doubt they would react that way because of the killings, it's probably unrelated. On a side note did you recently rat anybody out to the boss or anything? Growing up I had a problem distributing loyalty between my peers and superiors, and with the AS thing with lying.. you can imagine, a lot of people got their assess told on.. :lol:

You should probably just try and find out what's up. It helps to have an informant in the social sphere so that even if you don't socialize with the people at work you can still have an idea of what they think about you.

-Carl Sagan

dontwanttoknow
Raven
Raven

20 Apr 2007, 10:16 pm

Spartan wrote:
That may be the case, but if so, they are incredibly dense because isolating and alienating the killer is what made him go loco. If that's what they suspected, it would only make sense that they begin to befriend you in hopes u don't get pissed at them..

Other than that, maybe it's something else. I doubt they would react that way because of the killings, it's probably unrelated. On a side note did you recently rat anybody out to the boss or anything? Growing up I had a problem distributing loyalty between my peers and superiors, and with the AS thing with lying.. you can imagine, a lot of people got their assess told on.. :lol:

You should probably just try and find out what's up. It helps to have an informant in the social sphere so that even if you don't socialize with the people at work you can still have an idea of what they think about you.

OMG, no, that's a big no-no for me, ratting anyone out. I did have a problem a couple times as a kid doing that, but I learned my lesson.

Unless someone was stealing from the company, I'd never try to get anyone in trouble. Even if they were causing trouble for me personally I'd try to deal with it myself or else look for another job. IN my last job there was someone who kept scapegoating me and while I tried to defend myself, I never tried to make her look bad either because I knew it'd make her even worse. Fortunately she moved out of town.

The owner of the company where I work now is not a very nice person; he is mean or at least rude to people for no reason and I'd go out of my way to stand up for anyone to him rather than deliberately rat them out. My boss recently quit or was fired (probably mutal) but persuaded the owner to let her come back as a consultant while one of my co-workers was on vacation; we suspect her of trying to run down each of us in turn to the owner. In my department this week there is only one other co-worker and me, and the ex-boss when she comes in, and the co-worker has been nice (if for no other reason than we have to work together knowing that the former boss may be out to make us look bad to the owner!), but it's the people outside my department that are acting funny. They were a little better today so it's possible they were just having bad days or maybe were affected by the general morale in the company. I am getting tired of having to eat lunch by myself but I'll probably get used to it eventually, and while the co-worker is out I haven't had as much time for lunch anyway and could probably just work through lunch or eat at my desk.

dontwanttoknow
Raven
Raven

20 Apr 2007, 10:19 pm

Spartan wrote:

Oh, and i did ask my co-worker in the same department if she knew about anything and she just thought I was being silly. But she may have said that because she didn't want to get me upset and maybe leave her all alone in the department or something!