18 Feb 2016, 7:00 pm

did they give you a notice?

did they take you out early?

PS: please give me some answers

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2016, 7:48 pm

My parents set it up so I would be alerted early and taken out of the building before the fire alarm went off. Sometimes during elementary school, it would go off while I was still in the building and the faculty wouldn't let me cover my ears for some godforsaken reason.

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2016, 8:20 pm

In elementary and middle school, I was told about fire drills in advance. I couldn't leave the classroom, but I could put in my ear plugs and be ready for it (unless of course it was the real thing or someone pulled the alarm). In high school, once in the while I'd have a teacher who would warn everyone in advance, but most of the time I just covered my ears on the way out.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2016, 8:32 pm

My twin sister helped me. She had profound hearing loss, so it did not bother her as much. She would guide me outside, while I would cover my ears and close my eyes.

For those people who are alerted and taken out early, what was the plan for a REAL fire? There is a reason for fire drills besides deafening and blinding people.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 5:24 am

When I was little, I would cry every time the fire alarm went off, but this was not a sound sensitivity. The thought of an alarm just disturbed me, because to me it meant danger.

As I got a bit older I no longer cried at fire drills, but I hated the bells ringing for break and lunch times.

But it was worse at secondary school because kids would set the fire alarm off, several times a year. And because I was older, I felt embarrassed to tell anyone that I was afraid of the bell. :oops: