Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2016, 8:43 pm

Folks, let's accept the fact that not every single actor and actress working in Hollywood lives a glamorous lifestyle.
Does that mean that such actors and actresses are less talented? Of course not!

Do you agree with these lists?

Top 10 Underrated Actors

Top 10 Underrated Actresses

boofle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2016, 2:18 pm

James McAvoy n Paul Bettany for sure, in fact would agree with most of the male list, tho i didn't watch the female one.

Surprised to see Colin Farrell on that list tho. Would have said he was doing better than the others on that list? Unless he's more famous for his sexcapades, maybe?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 2:35 pm

I was surprised to see Emily Blunt on the female list. She's been in the spotlight for a long while now, especially with being typecasted in all those action movies she has starred in. On another note, I'd like to see Emily Blunt team up for a movie with Liam Neeson, given that he's also had to deal with typecasting.

Getting back to topic, I agree with all mentioned in the female list, especially with Rachel McAdams {who held her own as the token female actress in Spotlight} and Sarah Polley, whose directorial efforts are worth watching.

As for the male list, I agree with all mentioned, especially with Sam Rockwell, Peter Sarsgaard, and Eric Bana. These three need to be in more movies that can appeal to the mainstream, not just a limited audience.

On another note, I met James McAvoy a few years when he was in Portland promoting X-Men: First Class. I wasn't expecting to meet anybody from the cast and I thought McAvoy was going to be a typical Hollywood stereotype, but he was more of a British a-hole.

boofle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2016, 2:44 pm

Quote:
but he was more of a British a-hole

Erkkkk! Don't say that! I have hot lust for His Deliciousness. Don't destroy my fantasies :cry:

I'll have a look at the female one soon as I can. Your comments have me intrigued.
I've seen some (ok, pretty much ALL) of the male top 10 films that they've been in, that they showed clips of, curious if that holds true with the female list too.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 2:53 pm

boofle wrote:
Quote:
but he was more of a British a-hole

Erkkkk! Don't say that! I have hot lust for His Deliciousness. Don't destroy my fantasies!

I think he's a great actor, especially with his performance in The Last King Of Scotland. In terms of his acting skills, he IMO, easily matches the acting skills of Chris Pratt and IMO, he's England's answer to Chris Pratt.

Here's another video for you, the top 10 Underrated Movie Directors.
http://watchmojo.com/video/id/13619/

boofle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2016, 3:12 pm

*sets facetiousness aside*

I'd agree that he's a good actor. I even liked him in Wanted, Jolie notwithstanding.

Another two that come to mind, that are imo underrated, Don Cheadle and Brendan Gleeson. Anything I've seen either of em in has been worth a watch. Especially Gleeson.
It's an old movie but I saw them both in The Guard. Superlative work. Catch it if you haven't seen it already.

Had to look up Chris Pratt, mind. Only seen one of his films I'm ashamed to say.
Guardians of the Galaxy and i recall the raccoon being the most memorable, oh and, Groot.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 3:21 pm

Don Cheadle was amazing in Hotel Rwanda and Brendan Gleeson was terrific in that movie he did with Colin Farrell called In Bruges.

boofle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2016, 3:42 pm

Totally agreed! Both excellent films. Give Gleeson's Calvary a go if you haven't already, as well. Another one worth a watch.

Right, time to give those two links a go. Was sidetracked with one of my fav animes lol but will give those a bash now.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 3:51 pm

Another underrated actor who comes to mind is Guy Pearce. A reason why Christopher Nolan chose Guy Pearce to star in Memento over Brad Pitt was because of Guy Pearce's lack of celebrity. Smart move!

boofle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2016, 4:21 pm

Yeah, I liked Guy Pearce in Memento for sure and if Pitt had done it I'd have probably not watched it.
Off the top of my head only Pitt film I've ever liked was Kalifornia.

Watched the female top 10 and was unsurprised to realise I hadn't watched over half of em.
The sorta films I like tend to not feature female leads as much. Had seen the usual biggies (avatar etc) but most of em were unfamiliar. Other than Blunt, of course. And Ricci. I agreed with her being on that list tho i haven't seen as much of her stuff as I'd have liked.

The Director's one was interesting. Lots of unknown (to me) works on there. Ones that definitely look like they'd be worth watching.

On the subject of underrated, what's your take on McConaughey? His Killer Joe was brilliant I thought, yet perhaps his looks gets in the way of being taken more seriously maybe? True Detectives he was brilliant too. Tho not a film it showcased he can seriously act!
Your thoughts?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 9:48 pm

IMO, Matthew McConaughey rightfully deserved his Best Actor Oscar for the movie Dallas Buyers Club. If you have not watched Dallas Buyers Club, I strongly recommend it. McConaughey gives a great performance as do Jared Leto {who won Best Supp. Actor in the same year as McConaughey} and Jennifer Garner.

Matthew McConaughey will next be seen {or in this case heard} in the upcoming animated film Sing, set for release by the end of this year.

Top 10 Overlooked Gems From Well-Known Directors
http://watchmojo.com/video/id/13842/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 2:40 am

Two words: Rutger Hauer.
Though Hauer is getting up in years, he's made an impact in roles such as the rogue Replicant, Roy Batty, in Bladerunner, and the serial killer, John Ryder, in the original The Hitcher, as well as many others. And yet, He has never become an A list star like he deserves.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 4:01 am

For the actors, it's a toss-up between Sam Rockwell and Brendan Gleeson for me. A few years back I would have put Tom Hardy on the list as well, but after his role as Bane in The Dark Knight Rises he cannot exactly complain about being overlooked.

Moon is worth watching for Rockwell's performance in the Ping Pong scene alone.

And while I think Brendan Gleeson was great in In Bruges, his performance Calvary is probably one of the most impressive I have ever seen.

As for actresses, I'd go with Rene Russo. Despite a long career spanning almost 3 decades now, she hasn't won (or been nominated for) much. She did, however, recently get praise for her psycho-exploited-by-a-bigger-psycho role in Nightcrawler.

I suppose I could also mention Zhang Ziyi, but she is probably the most famous actress in China, so her relative lack of prominence in the West is probably just a product of language barriers.

boofle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2016, 8:55 am

Poor call on McConaghey and I'd like to take it back this instant! :oops:
Clean forgot about Magic Mike and yes, seen it.

Rutger Hauer is an interesting shout out because he's in one of my all time favourite films. Think like Neeson he was, sadly, typecast. Would agree, underrated.

Moon was excellent! (Hats off to Rockwell's versatility too) And then Nightcrawler gets mentioned! Waited for that film to be released and my lord it was worth the wait.
Excellent film!

On the subject of Chinese actors, I'd say Jing Wu merits a mention. I watch a fair bit of works from that part of the world and SK stuff has been a 'thing' for me for quite a while but when it comes to the martial arts genre, i think the whole genre is underrated.
Adding a clip GGPViper for your perusal. It's from Sha Po Lang. You've probably seen it but the graceful ferocity of Jing Wu v the stark contrast of 'control' exhibited by DonnieYen is great to watch!

Incidentally sorry for the lack of proper quoting. I lost my previous post in the unending logging out that I'm experiencing and didn't think to copy my previous reply so just tapped it out like this.

Dwightfry
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2016, 12:35 pm

I think Bettany and Gleeson are top class.
Christina Ricci, Giovani Ribisi very good.
Loved In Bruges With Gleeson, Farrel, Ralph Fiennes and Clémence Poésy (should be on the female list)

That concrete you are trying to dig through is 9 feet thick, it's reenforced with hardend steel, it's designed to withstand a nuclear blast."It doesn't matter. If you pound annything long enough, it'll give"
-Jimmy Bond, The Lone gunmen

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 1:52 pm

Giovanni Ribisi was terrific doing mostly scene-stealing in the movie Ted, which in turn reminded me of the Garfield comics.

IMO, in regards to underrated actresses, Maggie Gyllenhaal certainly comes to mind. It seems very strange that she is just as talented as her brother Jake, but has hardly received the recognition she deserves.