Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2016, 8:00 pm

Personally going on 30 I feel I'm at a crossroads in life. I don't want to GIVE UP TOTALLY on gaming. But starting to feel perhaps I don't have time for epic open world games that span as far as the eye can see either. Also I'm tired of buying off of Hype! OMG! Skyrim EPIC Fallout 3 EPIC! Yet I beat neither they just sit on my shelf! Outside of the small fun with GTA V and RDR not much of an open world gamer and they take a GREAT CHUNK of your time.

I've narrowed my series interest to as follows

Fire Emblem
Zelda (namesake DUH!)
Mario
Pokemon
Final Fantasy
ANYTHING Naughty Dog does!

I don't need/want every game that comes out. I don't need every game that comes out either. Stick to what I like. If a game has an OMG sequel KH3 for example honestly I didn't like the HD remakes never beat them so while some gamers OMG! HYPE over them it isn't a series I'm a fan of.

Also anything not in my top series list I will wait for it to go on sale. But mostly IMO stay away from "open world" I just don't have the time anymore with where I want my life to take me.

:-)

BUT!

Named ZELDA PSYCHOLOGY FOR A REASON! LOL!

Astro77
Raven
Raven

26 Feb 2016, 10:46 pm

I play a lot, but it might be better to say I play one game at a time a lot. Usually an mmorpg. Sometimes a moba. There's lots of stuff I want to play. For instance, I have Fire Emblem Awakening in my 3ds, Final Fantasy IX and Tactics on my psp. But then I kind of get depressed when I think about playing them because there are other things in my life I need to be doing and figuring out. Growing up sucks :(

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 2:08 am

Yeah, having a job, I don't have quite as much time for games as I used to. Sometimes I get more gaming done at work than I do at home. I also think I might have Sjogren's Syndrome, because half the time I get home and I don't have the energy to do anything except sit down and maybe read forums.

I will definitely have to make time for the next Zelda, though. I managed to squeeze in plenty of Skyward Sword somehow =)

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 3:31 am

I play alot of games, yes. But I also have alot of time.

That, and I got out of the habit of buying things out of hype looooong ago. So it's very, very rare that I buy something and am disappointed by it. It helps that I dont bother with AAA games these days. The only "major" publisher I really pay attention to now is actually Nintendo, as they're the only one that doesnt seem somehow corrupted yet (you know, by things like microtransactions or nasty practices like that). Other than that, I usually stick to indie titles, or just games by lesser studios. I play mostly on PC, some on the Wii U (currently, mostly Mario Maker, which is fantastic, and Splatoon, which is also fantastic), and some on the 3DS. I also do alot of mobile gaming on my iPad, but not the sorts of games you'd think. It turns out there's ALOT of things like hardcore shmups/roguelikes on there, and proper arcade style games... not just things like Angry Birds and whatnot.

It also helps though that I tend to pick up the sort of game where I can stop and save at absolutely any time, usually. Alot of roguelikes and such do that. You're expected to typically have pretty short runs in those (due to dying alot) and they're usually good for 20 minutes or so even at a time since you can usually save wherever. For many of them, even a FULL run is short (like Isaac, takes about an hour to beat a given run, usually).

I dont do RPGs, which also helps a ton. And my idea of an "open world" game isnt something like Fallout but is instead something like Minecraft and that sort.

I do buy games a bit too frequently though. I musta bought 9 of the damn things in the past week. I cant entirely remember what all of them are. But I try to get them before I forget they exist; at least then I can come back to them later, whereas if I forget and just miss out, I'll often not find them again for a looooong time.

Though really, not buying AAA games is the thing that really sealed the deal for me. I know everyone is swooning over Fallout 4 and whatever other damn thing is out. Everyone I know is playing it. *I* spent half the freaking night here playing a roguelike I just found called Heiroglyphika which nobody here will have ever heard of (though I guess it's new anyway, but even if it had been out for months, still nobody here would know it) and that had me absolutely engaged and I can tell it's going to get alot of time from me... whereas Fallout would have just put me to sleep. Blah blah blah, talky bits, blah blah guns, blah. Feh.

rileydaboss2000
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2016, 4:22 am

I love playing video games, as it is one thing that I do in my everyday life. I used to play on my PS2 a lot when I was younger, along with playing on my Xbox 360 today. Some games I like include:
Mario series (Got into Mario in 2007)
Sonic series (Had a lot on my PS2)
Fallout 3 and New Vegas
Batman: Arkham trilogy
Call of Duty (mostly Black Ops and Advanced Warfare)
Most of my PS2 games (Burnout series, Night of 100 frights, Lego Star Wars etc.)
A hell of a lot more :)

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 6:04 am

Astro77 wrote:
I play a lot, but it might be better to say I play one game at a time a lot. Usually an mmorpg. Sometimes a moba. There's lots of stuff I want to play. For instance, I have Fire Emblem Awakening in my 3ds, Final Fantasy IX and Tactics on my psp. But then I kind of get depressed when I think about playing them because there are other things in my life I need to be doing and figuring out. Growing up sucks :(

If your depressed Final Fantasy IX is a great game to play. Then again I pretty much gave up on the idea of a job so I got a lot of free time to play video games; not so much money to buy them however.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 8:33 am

There is less and less stuff that I want to play these days. I spend more time sifting through abandonware than checking out upcoming releases.

Malaise
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2016, 4:59 pm

I know what you mean. I have a small collection of unplayed indie games on Steam still that I may or may not ever get around to playing. With some games like MMOs, it's hard to have the time to fully enjoy them if you're trying to play a dozen other games, too.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 3:55 pm

Glad I'm not alone. Also good thing Misery that you let hype go a long time ago I need to do the same. Either it's on my "series" list OR wait for it to go on sale which is doable. Pay $40 or less instead of $60 a pop brand new. Within a few months they go down to $40 or less anyway if you watch sales and Black Friday is a steal for most games.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 3:56 pm

To me Naughty Dog has never steered me wrong IMO they are the Pixar of gaming and I'm psyched for UC4.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 4:18 pm

Not really at all. I only play when my social club has a video game night.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 7:42 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
Glad I'm not alone. Also good thing Misery that you let hype go a long time ago I need to do the same. Either it's on my "series" list OR wait for it to go on sale which is doable. Pay $40 or less instead of $60 a pop brand new. Within a few months they go down to $40 or less anyway if you watch sales and Black Friday is a steal for most games.

Honestly, I cant even remember the last time I bought a game at $60. Usually when I'm buying something the base price is 20 or less... and I get way more value out of whatever it is than I'd ever get out of most AAA games.

Quite the bargain, really.

While everyone I know continues to pay full price for overhyped AAA games, and then they finish them quickly and complain a bunch. Sigh...

Or sometimes they do the "definitely bored with the game but they're still playing it anyway" thing, having paid 60 and all...

NealStrong
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Mar 2016, 1:55 am

Usually Amazon or Best Buy have a pre order sales before E3 usually can pick up 3 games at 25% there regular sticker price. That's what I usually do and the game arrives the day of it's release.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 3:23 pm

How much I play depends on mood and unplayed/ unfinished games available. I am no less interested in games now than I was at 12 when I started playing NES, but there certainly aren't all games and types of games I enjoy. I have time on my hands, but I still only play what I like or think I'll like. There are also some series I think was better years ago, while newer games have been less good (unfortunately that includes Mario and Spyro).
I'm hooked on Pokemon and Rune Factory. Fantasy Life was amazing too.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

NoahYates
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 12:34 am

Lately I play only PC games: league of legends, hearthstone, and some of the old warcraft 3 tower defenses, as well as skyrim and the fallout series. However, back in the day I played alot of console games... NES and super nintendo... mainly mario brothers games. For playstation I always loved need for speed and the metal gear solid series.

“In the same way that you see a flower in a field, it’s really the whole field that is flowering, because the flower couldn’t exist in that particular place without the special surroundings of the field; you only find flowers in surroundings that will support them. So in the same way, you only find human beings on a planet of this kind, with an atmosphere of this kind, with a temperature of this kind- supplied by a convenient neighboring star. And so, as the flower is a flowering of the field, I feel myself as a personing- a manning- a peopling of the whole universe. –In other words, I, like everything else in the universe, seem to be a center… a sort of vortex, at which the whole energy of the universe realizes itself- comes alive… an aperture through which the whole universe is conscious of itself. In other words, I go with it as a center to a circumference.”~ Alan Watts

NealStrong
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Mar 2016, 6:37 am

OP I totally understand what you mean, I can't give up on video games and getting up there in age. I thought the older I got the less I would be interested in video games. Even sometimes when I'm busy with my schedule I'm able to find a way to squeeze in a few hours here and there.

Personally I know some people that do a lot worse things then waste there time on games. I say do whatever makes you happy.