Do you like Five Nights at freddy's (fnaf)

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Plushtrap04
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Feb 2016, 1:14 pm

if you do than well I love the series and I would love to hear your thoughts, reactions, etc.

Please let me know anything :)

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 1:43 pm

I've always liked it. I've been following it since first seeing it in Markiplier's videos on Youtube. Picked up the games myself after that.

It's one of those game series though where for whatever reason I'm just not very good at it. In the first two games, half of the time it ends up with Chica eating my face (why is it always her?). 3 is... well, always Springtrap, because there's nobody else... and I havent played 4 yet. That one requires turning up the speakers... I cant really do that without waking up everyone else in the house (if played at night) or generating complaints/lectures (if played in the day). Eventually I'll play it. I have a copy of it at least.

And then there's FNAF World.... which is.... certainly interesting. It reminds me of one of Scott's previous games; there was something else he did with an RPG battle system (for bosses) that was just as berserk and crazy as that is. He comes up with some very interesting things at times, really... I havent played FNAF World yet though. It's one of those games that's "On my Steam list" and I'll get to it at some random point. I bought like, some damn silly number of games in the last month, some still have yet to be tried...

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2016, 3:48 pm

The concept of fnaf seems like a stupid flash game, I hate the series cause everyone talks about how great and scary it is. Ha, ya'll need to play some Silent Hill, Condemned, Amnesia and Fatal Frame. Those are horror games, fnaf is stupid and I could care less about all the theories on its story. fnaf should have ended with one release at best and three at worse, its obviously a cash cow. Burn it with fire, scary images are nothing it you don't setup the atmosphere of terror. Opening and closing doors while watching a bunch of stuffed animals with teeth run around is not an atmosphere of terror, its what a three year old has nightmares about. So they are ugly, thats not that scary to me.

Ugly < Atmosphere

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2016, 4:53 pm

dcj123 wrote:
The concept of fnaf seems like a stupid flash game, I hate the series cause everyone talks about how great and scary it is. Ha, ya'll need to play some Silent Hill, Condemned, Amnesia and Fatal Frame. Those are horror games, fnaf is stupid and I could care less about all the theories on its story. fnaf should have ended with one release at best and three at worse, its obviously a cash cow. Burn it with fire, scary images are nothing it you don't setup the atmosphere of terror. Opening and closing doors while watching a bunch of stuffed animals with teeth run around is not an atmosphere of terror, its what a three year old has nightmares about. So they are ugly, thats not that scary to me.

Ugly < Atmosphere

Those others are horror games, yes, but for the most part, IMHO, they get it all wrong. Too many games use things like blood/gore, super obvious monsters, or even worse, they just outright give you the ability to actually fight the damn thing (what kind of horror protagonist can actually fight against the monsters and triumph? That's not a horror game, that's an action game... hell, Condemned, you can get freaking assault rifles... what?). Amnesia in particular merely bored me. Disappointed, I was. Very.... slow. Silent Hill was mostly just confusing (that's one of those "I really just dont see the appeal" games that I find every now and then), Fatal Frame... now that one was a bit more interesting, though again for me, tries my patience way too much, so I didnt really get into it.

I got into FNAF for a few simple reasons:

1, it actually does something different for once. No running from the monsters. Certainly no FIGHTING the damn things... they're proper *monsters* that are simply too powerful to confront. Over the course of the series, they get ever stronger, and more deranged.

2. The game doesnt try to shove the storyline up your nose. Games 2 and 3 have very quick little "minigames" that show some of it, but they're over with fast, and MOST of the story isnt gotten from those. You dont really have to know what the story is to play the games. And anyone that knows me, knows that I tend to haaaaaaaate story elements in games, specifically because most tend to wave it in your face every 2 seconds.

3. The feeling of being utterly trapped, literally unable to move, while unstoppable things roam around, thinking only of killing you, is part of the horror aspect. Combine that with the warped atmosphere and setting, and you get that which makes it what it is.

4. A fear of animatronics, or similar things... like a fear of porcelain dolls... is actually extremely common. The dev knows this, and capitalized on it. I know a couple of people that took one look at the game, in a couple of videos, and basically just went "NOPE nope nope nope" and refused to play it. But they'll play those other games with no fear at all. I personally do not have this fear, and what's more, I have a bizarre attraction to creepy/freaky places. I tend to lack some common fears, and even find them reversed, ending up liking the things instead of fearing them (spiders, insects), but still, even I found it disconcerting. That never happens, normally...

5. For whatever baffling reason... and I really have no idea why... the characters are strangely memorable. This is pretty rare in any game, and even more rare in a horror game. I think this is one of the reasons the game got so huge as it did. Another example of a game doing this is Undertale. Or Touhou. Hell, with Touhou, you get people that freaking love it without even knowing what kind of game it is (ow, brain hurts now). That particular aspect, when it appears, seems to catapult games into extreme popularity.

6. It actually *completely* avoids blood & gore. FINALLY, a game that does this. In the horror genre. Every now and then you get one like that, but it's very, very rare. When a game can get the horror aspect right, yet totally avoid that stuff... then it's REALLY gotten it right. Most horror-game devs seem incapable of creating such games without resorting to it, which always suggests a lack of design skill to me. Or without giving you shotguns to blast demonic poodles with. I see no horror aspect in those things. Blood/gore are overdone... yawn.

7. It does jumpscares right. They're not arbitrary this time around. A jumpscare is a punishment for losing or screwing up... and that's it. They simply dont happen otherwise. Clear the game without failing, and you'll never see one. In most horror games, they're just stuck in at very arbitrary and often predictable moments. I kinda like the idea that in this, they're actually tied to the gameplay.

The negative side: The fandom is made entirely of distilled crazy. As is the usual with many games, I avoid that community like the plague, and simply enjoy things on my own.

It's sad, really, that I find myself doing that with sooooooooo many games these days. I mean, seriously, it's ridiculous. Like, okay, Undertale, right? I have the game, but I havent played it. I know some things about it, and am already getting that attachment to some characters that I get with some games (the character named "Muffet", in this case... strange damn name, but when you see her, it makes perfect sense), but I havent had a go at it yet, and only just started finding things about it. Yet almost INSTANTLY, I see the batshit insanity of the fan community for it. Or even with something like freaking Minecraft; holy crapsticks, Batman, do I haaaaaaaaate the Minecraft community. For a game like that, you dont expect them to be SO FREAKING ANGRY ALL THE TIME. Even I'm not THAT dark and negative.

But... all of that is a rant for another time.

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 12:08 am

Nah, its a lame little series that wouldn't get much attention if YouTube wasnt so big. People post "jump scare" videos for the laughs/views. Many of which are just fake reactions, in my view. Much much better horror games out there.

Ethan2004Minecraft
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Mar 2016, 1:39 pm

i love fnaf and my favourite character is nightmare marionette :skull: :skull: :skull:

Plushtrap04
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Mar 2016, 11:39 am

Ethan2004Minecraft wrote:
i love fnaf and my favourite character is nightmare marionette :skull: :skull: :skull:

Well my favorite character is plushtrap. He is not scary he is just cute. 8)

VeteranVicious
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Mar 2016, 9:14 pm

The games feel too similar no matter what new mechanic it adds just to keep things interesting. The only thing that makes FNAF stand out from the crowd of horror games is it's lore. FNAF world was different from the other entries but that game got really old fast and just like the horror series it felt really repetitive. We need videogames that make and define new genres and open doors to new possibilities.

The Oculus Rift had potential but due to Oculus having no idea how to sell a product to the majority it will pretty much fail like the virtual-boy

Here's me destroying FNAF 1 without getting jumpscared:

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Mar 2016, 5:55 pm

Five nights at Freddy is fun but i would rather play Outlast, Amnesia, Slender, Penumbra, Soma and Alien Isolation.

FriendlyHougen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Mar 2016, 3:39 pm

I like the games, but the fandom ruined it.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 3:56 pm

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 7:04 pm

I like the idea of it, and have read all about it, but I would not be able to play it. I am startled quite easily, and the jump scares would scare the living daylights out of me. 8O Additionally, I am terrible at most computer games, so it's not like I could get through with no jump scares.

I have watched some videos of it being played (PewDiePie, Markiplier, and others), but only on very low volume. I think that the idea is very clever, and I have researched the game and its elements extensively, but could not actually play it myself.