Being competitive with my crush

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 6:20 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I say It's a typical female thing: playing hard to get.

It just drives us away.

I've seen guys try to impress women numerous times by trying to demonstrate they are more knowledgeable on a subject than she is....this probably accounts for at least some of the incidents of "mansplaining".

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2018, 2:58 pm

I'm more familiar with -splainings which are not about actually demonstrating superior knowledge or skill, but about refusing on principle to acknowledge any you may have yourself, even against all evidence. People will seldom miss a chance to twist reality in their favor when they can get away with it. It's not even a matter of lying---everyone can be fully aware of the truth, but it doesn't matter if they're compelled to behave as though the alternate reality were the authentic one.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 12:14 am

Spiderpig wrote:
I'm more familiar with -splainings which are not about actually demonstrating superior knowledge or skill, but about refusing on principle to acknowledge any you may have yourself, even against all evidence. People will seldom miss a chance to twist reality in their favor when they can get away with it. It's not even a matter of lying---everyone can be fully aware of the truth, but it doesn't matter if they're compelled to behave as though the alternate reality were the authentic one.

I know what you are talking about but I think it falls under a slightly different category.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 2:04 am

Chronos wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I say It's a typical female thing: playing hard to get.

It just drives us away.

I've seen guys try to impress women numerous times by trying to demonstrate they are more knowledgeable on a subject than she is....this probably accounts for at least some of the incidents of "mansplaining".

Nope, mansplaining is the perception that a man bitterly tries to 'teach' the woman about a subject, often in midst of argument, and it's often to a woman who he doesn't like much.

The case you're describing is more called 'woowing', they can be both pathetic but it differs in the tone.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 2:33 pm

Try not to hit the crush

DancingQueen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 May 2018, 2:46 pm

I think people do this either as a form of trying to impress their crush or as a defensive mechanism because if you fancy someone, in a way they have power over you so to compensate for that, you try and exert power over them by competing against them and winning.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 3:34 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
I always try to think of reasons why I'm "better" than my crush. I know this is stupid and it only makes it a million times harder to have a chance. I always end up saying stupid and arrogant s**t around my crush. I'm normally not an arrogant person.

Just sounds like you're trying to value yourself above this person because you fear they will reject you and in case that happens your ego needs a way of coping with it.

The downside is this is only going to make your crush reject you.
Don't do this sort of thing is all I can say. You know it's not nice, else you wouldn't be talking about it here in the way you are doing.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2018, 6:39 pm

Probably low self-esteem.