Autistic who likes to blast loud music?

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

thehandler
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Mar 2016, 2:36 am

Here's an example of some of the stuff this autistic likes to blast :mrgreen:

Also ZombieBrideXD it's cool you like BVB. I see people hating them for no reason, but I think they're a pretty great band. In The End is a great song.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 5:49 am

It's rare, but there are autistic individuals who are hyposensitive to certain forms of stimuli, rather than having the hypersensitivity more commonly associated with autism. I once lived with a friend whose older brother was very, very autistic, and while he once said that it felt like his mouth was on fire when he tried some of my jalapeno cheddar Doritos, he also had a habit of cranking his music so loud on his earbuds that I could easily hear it when he walked by. Not only does this demonstrate that autistic individuals can be hyposensitive, but also that a person on the spectrum can be hypersensitive to some stimuli, and hyposensitive to other stimuli.

Myself, for a long time I think my tastebuds were somewhat hyposensitive, as I was drawn to strongly flavored foods like raw onions (which my parents have a picture of me eating straight out of the bag as a toddler, no word of a lie) and hot peppers. My tastes have changed somewhat though over the last few years, partly thanks to my chronic acid reflux, and I'm not nearly as drawn to strong flavors as I used to be. Interestingly however, I've always been put off by harsh smells, even smells that other people don't notice. I think it's gotten somewhat worse as I've gotten older too.

Another thing, while I typically don't like loud sudden noises, and don't care for loud music outside of certain situations, I do listen to some pretty harsh, heavy music sometimes, including industrial music, harsh noise, death metal, weird electronic music, etc. I think it's because I get a bit of a thrill out of it.

This song is supposed to simulate what it's like to have high pitched tinnitus, and a lot of people find it hard to listen to. However, I think it's brilliant.

Though again, much like how my sensitivity for strongly flavored food has gone up, my sensitivity to harsh music has gone up as well, and I'm starting to appreciate music that's mellower and more melodic. Merzbow's infamous album "Venereology" was a favorite of mine when I was younger, and now I can barely stand listening to it. I don't think it's a bad album though, far from it, but it is a challenging listen.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 6:10 am

I have pretty touchy authority sensitivity. However at times I love to have metal blasting. It think it's my version of head banging (unintended pun). It makes my head feel like it's going to split open, which is somehow satisfactory.Lots of times it causes me to go into a sensory overload shutdown.