Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

extrapulp
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Mar 2016, 6:54 pm

i began speaking at a normal age, but i'm told by my mother that i was an extremely quiet baby; i never cried or yelled, and she had a difficult time determining what i wanted or needed. what were you all like as babies/toddlers? were you quiet or loud? if you started speaking later than average (or earlier), what was your future speech/expression like?

also, what were your first words? mine was "yellow." i've done some super, super light research on autistic folks' first words but didn't find anything that satiated my curiosity.. :?:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 6:57 pm

I started speaking at age 5 1/2

My first word was "pig." Probably because the "p" phoneme is voiceless and easier to pronounce than the "b" phoneme, which is voiced.

Within six months or so, I was talking like a "normal" 6-year-old.

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2016, 7:07 pm

extrapulp wrote:
i'm told by my mother that i was an extremely quiet baby; i never cried or yelled

I was like that too. I cried only when I was very sick.
I learned to speak very early, before 18 months I made sentences. I didn't really go through the babbling and isolated words stages.
In comparison, I learned to walk much later. I had a very heterogeneous development.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 1:25 am

My babyhood development was normal from birth. I learned to walk earlier than average, and was potty-trained before I was 2, but all other development was average.

As a tiny baby I did cry like normal babies.

I said my first word at 14 months, which was "teddy", because I had a huge attachment to my teddy bear (still do :) ), but I said words like "mummy/mama" and "daddy" a lot. I was just average with babbling and talking.

When I was a toddler I was rather good, but I sometimes had tantrums over things like wanting something I couldn't have, my mum leaving my sight (like in a shop), and attention.
Unfortunately I continued having temper tantrums up until just before my teens, which then turned to rage outbursts. But when I was aged between 6 and 9 I used to have fits of crying excessively if things didn't go my way, because I was waiting for my mum to give into me. I only behaved like this sometimes though, not every time.

I remember having a temper tantrum when I was 11 once. I was on holiday with my family and we stayed in a caravan. There was 3 bedrooms in ours, so me and my brother could have one each. But I wanted to share a bedroom with my brother, and when he insisted that he was sleeping on his own, I threw a tantrum, hoping that it would change his mind, but it didn't. I soon tired myself out, and went to sleep.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 3:54 am

I'm told I usually only cried when I was hungry. But I made noises when something was bothering me. Like if it was too bright. I did not start talking until after I was 8 years old. First word was "no". Also "juice" "da" (for dad) and "Leem" (for my cousin Liam).

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 5:34 am

I was very early for all milestones. Sitting up at four months, crawling at six months, first steps at 8 months, potty trained at 18 months. My first word was a complicated one compared to what I've seen, and I believe it occurred around 1 year of age. I was speaking full sentences by two, with good grammar and articulation. Very advanced vocabulary as well. At three years of age, I sounded more like a seven or eight year old. My fine motor skills were also advanced.

From what I know, this was not typical development.

As a baby I was very fussy, perhaps due to sensory issues. I had trouble sleeping and cried often.

As a toddler my sensory issues manifested in a dislike of the feeling of clothing, shoes and socks, and very picky eating. I also disliked being touched, except for close family members. I don't remember having other sensory issues at the time.

I kept to myself as a toddler, until kindergarten I'd say. I played alone for hours, and didn't show much interest in other children. I had no trouble entertaining myself and seemed to prefer to be alone much of the time.

I'm not sure what all of it means. From what I've read, most people with ASD reach milestones later, not earlier as I did :?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 3:06 pm

Yigeren wrote:
I was very early for all milestones. Sitting up at four months, crawling at six months, first steps at 8 months, potty trained at 18 months. My first word was a complicated one compared to what I've seen, and I believe it occurred around 1 year of age. I was speaking full sentences by two, with good grammar and articulation. Very advanced vocabulary as well. At three years of age, I sounded more like a seven or eight year old. My fine motor skills were also advanced.

From what I know, this was not typical development.

As a baby I was very fussy, perhaps due to sensory issues. I had trouble sleeping and cried often.

As a toddler my sensory issues manifested in a dislike of the feeling of clothing, shoes and socks, and very picky eating. I also disliked being touched, except for close family members. I don't remember having other sensory issues at the time.

I kept to myself as a toddler, until kindergarten I'd say. I played alone for hours, and didn't show much interest in other children. I had no trouble entertaining myself and seemed to prefer to be alone much of the time.

I'm not sure what all of it means. From what I've read, most people with ASD reach milestones later, not earlier as I did :?

Gifted children may reach milestones earlier.
What you described in first paragraph seems like developmental milestones of gifted child.
But then there are also some gifted children who reach language milestones atypically late.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 3:41 pm

I suppose it's possibly from being gifted. I'm only barely gifted, though. I'm not a genius. Although I do have anxiety when taking IQ tests, am easily distracted for the duration of the test, and then I become bored and want it over with. Those things could have reduced the scores by a few points, but probably not by much.

Who knows? Maybe I'm just an unusual person.