Post your unpopular music-related opinions here

Page 1 of 28 [ 415 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2013
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,746
Location: Alberta, Canada

07 Mar 2016, 2:23 pm

There was a thread about unpopular political opinions, so I figured "why not do one about music? I have plenty of unpopular opinions on that."

Anyway, to kick things off, I must be one of the only people on Earth who like the production on Metallica's seminal album "...And Justice For All". Yes, there's virtually no bass guitar on it, yes it's quite cold and compressed sounding, and yes, the drums are probably a bit louder than they should be. However, the overall audio quality is actually quite crisp and clear to my ears, and the cold, clinical sound they gave it suits the bleak subject matter well. This isn't an album about banging your head or partying all night. No, it's about political corruption, the horror of war, nuclear winter, loss, and childhood trauma. It is a very dark album that touches on a number of sad things. A lot of people don't care for this kind of music, but I do. Why? Because it's real. If more people listened to this and took its subject matter to heart, maybe we would work harder at making the world a better place, and not making the same mistakes as our forefathers.

Just listen to this and tell me it's not beautiful.


_________________
Every day is exactly the same...


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,877
Location: Long Island, New York

07 Mar 2016, 2:54 pm

I think the American 1980's synthpop band Berlin was as, if not better then thier British and European synthpop peers.

OMD's "If you Leave Me" is utter sludge.

"The Dreaming" is Kate Bush's best album

Fleetwood Mack's "Rumours" album is crap. Boring soft pop about thier failed hippie relationships. How dare they call it Classic Rock.

A lot of Billy Joel's 1970's era lyrics are quite punk.

Lily Allen is quite good


_________________
You think you've got a hold of it all
You haven't got a hold at all - Depeche Mode “Get the Balance Right”

Recovering from tongue cancer, somewhat verbal.
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity


TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Dec 2014
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Posts: 19,541
Location: Canada

07 Mar 2016, 3:32 pm

I believe that there is no objectively good or bad music, just personal taste. I prefer music with lyrics to instrumental music. I like songs with a catchy chorus and/or meaningful, relatable lyrics. Guitar solos and repetitive choruses bore me. I like pop such as One Direction and old-fashioned folk. I like some sentimentality in music.


_________________
"Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it." - Stephen Colbert


AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,000
Location: Portland, Oregon

07 Mar 2016, 4:45 pm

Taylor Swift should have kept herself to the country music genre.


_________________
Silly NTs, I have Aspergers, and having Aspergers is gr-r-reat!


beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,788
Location: nj

07 Mar 2016, 7:08 pm

Music prior to 1990 sucked. I know influences all had to come from somewhere, but outside of that I hate all of it.



mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2013
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,746
Location: Alberta, Canada

08 Mar 2016, 8:34 am

TheAP wrote:
I believe that there is no objectively good or bad music, just personal taste.

I actually agree with this. I listen to a lot of stuff that other people would consider garbage, and a lot of people listen to stuff that I consider garbage. Musical taste is a highly subjective thing.

beakybird wrote:
Music prior to 1990 sucked. I know influences all had to come from somewhere, but outside of that I hate all of it.

What changed in 1990?

Another unpopular opinion I have, is that I actually like a lot of 90s and early 2000s nu/alternative metal, stuff like KoRn, System of a Down, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Deftones, Rammstein, Slipknot, and Tool. Not really big on Disturbed or Avenged Sevenfold though, even though they both have a few OK songs.


_________________
Every day is exactly the same...


beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,788
Location: nj

08 Mar 2016, 6:35 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
TheAP wrote:
I believe that there is no objectively good or bad music, just personal taste.

I actually agree with this. I listen to a lot of stuff that other people would consider garbage, and a lot of people listen to stuff that I consider garbage. Musical taste is a highly subjective thing.

beakybird wrote:
Music prior to 1990 sucked. I know influences all had to come from somewhere, but outside of that I hate all of it.

What changed in 1990?

Another unpopular opinion I have, is that I actually like a lot of 90s and early 2000s nu/alternative metal, stuff like KoRn, System of a Down, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Deftones, Rammstein, Slipknot, and Tool. Not really big on Disturbed or Avenged Sevenfold though, even though they both have a few OK songs.


Nothing changed. It's just a arbitrary cutoff time, being the beginning of a decade, that prior to which I do not like any music that was made. Technically, Pretty Hate Machine was 1989 as was Faith No More's "The Real Thing" and Nirvana's "Bleach", but other that those two there's nothing I'd listen to prior. Just really hate classic rock and nothing I liked as a little kid in the 80's stood the test of time for me.

"Nu Metal" has a ton of good stuff. Of the bands you listed, Tool clearly is not Nu Metal. But Korn, Deftones and Slipknot are still excellent bands releasing good material. I do, as hard as it is to admit, like Hybrid Theory. Nothingface, Ultraspank, and Mudvayne typically get classified as Nu Metal and were also very good. Especially Mudvayne. LD 50 was a classic album. So good.



mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2013
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,746
Location: Alberta, Canada

09 Mar 2016, 12:40 pm

I wouldn't really consider Tool to be nu-metal either tbh, but they're often lumped in with the nu-metal scene for some obscure reason. I just wish they would get back together and release another album.

Speaking of Maynard James Keenan, what would be REALLY cool is if Tapeworm reformed and actually released some material, even just some demos or a single or something. The closest we ever got to a Tapeworm release was Puscifer's version of "Potions", which may or may not be a remake. There's some controversy surrounding this because supposedly Trent Reznor had a hand in creating it, but nobody really knows other than Maynard if the version that was released was a solo effort by Maynard (and therefore Puscifer, his personal project), or if it was done by Tapeworm, which means Trent Reznor would've worked on it too. It certainly has some Reznor-esque production on it though, that's for sure.


Anyway, I'll have to give LD 50 another listen some time. The last time I listened to it I didn't really care for it because it had way too many tracks and I didn't like the production either, but I was also listening to the 2010 remaster. I might like the original 2000 version better, I'll just have to track down a copy.


_________________
Every day is exactly the same...


beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,788
Location: nj

10 Mar 2016, 7:51 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I wouldn't really consider Tool to be nu-metal either tbh, but they're often lumped in with the nu-metal scene for some obscure reason. I just wish they would get back together and release another album.

Speaking of Maynard James Keenan, what would be REALLY cool is if Tapeworm reformed and actually released some material, even just some demos or a single or something. The closest we ever got to a Tapeworm release was Puscifer's version of "Potions", which may or may not be a remake. There's some controversy surrounding this because supposedly Trent Reznor had a hand in creating it, but nobody really knows other than Maynard if the version that was released was a solo effort by Maynard (and therefore Puscifer, his personal project), or if it was done by Tapeworm, which means Trent Reznor would've worked on it too. It certainly has some Reznor-esque production on it though, that's for sure.


Anyway, I'll have to give LD 50 another listen some time. The last time I listened to it I didn't really care for it because it had way too many tracks and I didn't like the production either, but I was also listening to the 2010 remaster. I might like the original 2000 version better, I'll just have to track down a copy.


I mean, Tool is allegedly working on a new album, and to my knowledge never weren't together. They've been stuck in some serious, big time legal battle with one of their prior labels. And I think a few of the guys have gone on to have families since 10,000 days (which sucked balls IMO- unlistenable). I think they get grouped in as Nu Metal because of the times period they came out in, and Sober was a huge radio hit played along side all the Nu Metal staples. I could maybe see where someone could throw Undertow into that pile, but I'd disagree.

I heard Tapeworm never was even really a thing and was made up mostly on the internet. I remember the rumors were swirling in like 2000, 2001. And then NIN and APC toured together (which I went to- really amazing show I gotta say) which kinda fueled the speculation.

I think Puscifer is friggin awful.

Yeah you know me with the production, I don't pay alot of attention. Mudvayne's second album, The End of All Things to Come, was also quite good, but not as raw as LD 50. It was produced by Sylvia Massey- the same producer of Undertow and Aenima.



arabian1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 8 Mar 2016
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 66
Location: california

10 Mar 2016, 11:53 pm

I can't stand the Beatles the doors or a majority of 60s rock.
I can't stand grunge. I thinks it poor mans heavy metal.



mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2013
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,746
Location: Alberta, Canada

11 Mar 2016, 4:45 pm

arabian1 wrote:
I can't stand the Beatles the doors or a majority of 60s rock.
I can't stand grunge. I thinks it poor mans heavy metal.

I take it you must really dislike Nirvana then, since they were a grunge band with a fair amount of Beatles influence, and they helped kill the glam metal scene in the early 90s. :P That said, Alice in Chains were both grunge AND metal, and they even started out as a hair band. AiC and Nirvana are both great bands in my opinion, even though they're actually quite different, with AiC being more metal, and Nirvana being more pop-punk.

Another unpopular opinion I have? Modern pop music is generally terrible, but I like a lot of late 70s and 80s synthpop such as Depeche Mode, Soft Cell, Tears for Fears, Kraftwerk, early Ministry, etc.


_________________
Every day is exactly the same...


beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,788
Location: nj

11 Mar 2016, 4:51 pm

arabian1 wrote:
I can't stand the Beatles the doors or a majority of 60s rock.
I can't stand grunge. I thinks it poor mans heavy metal.


Im with ya man. Except the grunge part. Don't love it, and bands like Pearl jam were total s**t IMO, Nirvana was pretty awesome considering what was happening at the time. I could totally see why someone who wasn't old enough to remember that time would think so. They weren't spectacular musicians by any stretch.

And if anything grunge is a rich man's heavy metal, since all those guys made more than most metal bands do.



gleam
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
Location: Sweden

11 Mar 2016, 5:01 pm

Oh, I remember listening to To Live is to Die, 11 years old, feeling vaguely suicidal. It's easily one of their better songs in my opinion. Still like it, though I haven't been a fan of Metallica since age 12 or 13.

I have lots of unpopular opinions on music, but most probably pertain to how much of what I like is awful in most people's ears.
I love this, for example:


_________________
My soul is from elsewhere, I’m sure of that,
and I intend to end up there.


beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,788
Location: nj

11 Mar 2016, 5:29 pm

gleam wrote:
Oh, I remember listening to To Live is to Die, 11 years old, feeling vaguely suicidal. It's easily one of their better songs in my opinion. Still like it, though I haven't been a fan of Metallica since age 12 or 13.

I have lots of unpopular opinions on music, but most probably pertain to how much of what I like is awful in most people's ears.
I love this, for example:


Wow! You may be the only person on here who likes more abrasive noise than I do! Good job! Don't like that at all, but good for you... I totally relate to the noise to everyone else thing however:



gleam
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
Location: Sweden

11 Mar 2016, 5:51 pm

beakybird wrote:
Wow! You may be the only person on here who likes more abrasive noise than I do! Good job! Don't like that at all, but good for you... I totally relate to the noise to everyone else thing however


That's too bad but I guess it's to be expected. I don't consider Min & Klina-Men very abrasive though.
I mean I listen to actual noise too, the stuff that goes by the genre name 'noise' and 'harsh noise', some of which is 0% music.
Not a fan of the metalcore stuff you linked, but I really like some chaotic hardcore, to name something at least somewhat tangential.
I prefer powerviolence (silly name, yes but it's the kind of term that started as a joke) and crasher crust though, when it comes to the harshest forms of 'rock-oriented' music.
From negative crasher crust https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMyFeSgQmJo
To positive powerviolence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GACQHCl1rh0 :D

I just wanna add though that I listen to so much music, this is in no way representative of the whole of my taste. :wink:


_________________
My soul is from elsewhere, I’m sure of that,
and I intend to end up there.