Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Mar 2016, 11:38 am

At this point, the dream is Clinton + leftie VP. Ideally one who still favours free trade, but I guess Sanders would excite the grassroots.

The Democrats don't need to worry about losing to Trump or Cruz and it's unlikely Kasich will get the nomination, so they can afford to pull to the left of the Obama/Clinton consensus a bit. I think Sanders has already successfully forced Clinton to pull to the left rather than just being the lesser of two evils.

Realistically, the best the Republicans can hope for is probably something like Trump + Paul. Trump's left-wing economics plus Paul's relative liberalism might be electable, but it's more likely we'd get Trump's authoritarianism and Paul's far-right economics.

Kasich could do with being balanced by an economic moderate. I don't really know of any in the Republican Party except for Romney and Trump, neither of whom would be VP candidates. There must be some Senators or Governors who could fill that role though. Cruz is screwed and should probably just nominate Santorum or Huckabee and really go for it.

I realise I'm overstating the role of the VP somewhat.

lordfakename
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Mar 2016, 11:45 am

Most likely will be Trump/Christie on the GOP ticket I think, assuming Trump can get past the convention, which is no sure thing

I don't know who Clinton will pick. Presumably somebody young, leftwing, obscure and unlikely to overshadow her at any point

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 12:17 pm

The_Walrus wrote:

I think you underestimate the malleability of the American public. The role of Vice President is twofold: to act as a vote gap-filler based on issues and to balance the presidential candidate's demographics.

Oh, and to take the President's place should they become incapacitated or die while in office, but I think that is a rather minor consideration in the political climate of the moment as it is far too...functional.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 5:57 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

I think you underestimate the malleability of the American public. The role of Vice President is twofold: to act as a vote gap-filler based on issues and to balance the presidential candidate's demographics.

Oh, and to take the President's place should they become incapacitated or die while in office, but I think that is a rather minor consideration in the political climate of the moment as it is far too...functional.

Palin's supporters were hoping that McCain would die in office, and that she would move into the White House. Then again, because the rest of us feared just that is why there was never a President McCain, let alone a Vice President Palin.

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Mar 2016, 6:15 pm

lordfakename wrote:
Most likely will be Trump/Christie on the GOP ticket

Dollars/Doughnuts 2016?

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 6:32 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Trump / Sanders would be a powerhouse

Two "anti-establishment" candidates with popular ideas of:
end NAFTA
tax the rich
curtail H1B

Except that Sanders wouldn't go near trump with a thousand foot pole.
And tax the rich? Do you honestly think trump would do anything that might hurt his self-interest/status ($$$$)? Even his campaign 'contributions' are loans.
And trump alreasy flipflopped on h1bs since he likes to use them in his business.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 6:37 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
At this point, the dream is Clinton + leftie VP. Ideally one who still favours free trade, but I guess Sanders would excite the grassroots.

The Democrats don't need to worry about losing to Trump or Cruz and it's unlikely Kasich will get the nomination, so they can afford to pull to the left of the Obama/Clinton consensus a bit. I think Sanders has already successfully forced Clinton to pull to the left rather than just being the lesser of two evils.

Realistically, the best the Republicans can hope for is probably something like Trump + Paul. Trump's left-wing economics plus Paul's relative liberalism might be electable, but it's more likely we'd get Trump's authoritarianism and Paul's far-right economics.

Kasich could do with being balanced by an economic moderate. I don't really know of any in the Republican Party except for Romney and Trump, neither of whom would be VP candidates. There must be some Senators or Governors who could fill that role though. Cruz is screwed and should probably just nominate Santorum or Huckabee and really go for it.

Paul would be an appeal, but i don't see him taking a role as vp with trump. Paul as the third party though... Or kasich/paul 3rd party..

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2016, 5:18 pm

Since I haven't been listening to Glenn Beck lately, I'm trying to catch up on some things and keep an open mind about Cruz. I just found out from Beck's program that was on last Wednesday that Trump has promised Ben Carson the VP seat - according to Beck's sources. Very interesting. Now Beck is tearing down both Trump and Carson. Beck was upset about a lie that came out from Trump about not seeing a certain video, but didn't Cruz lie about Carson leaving the race so Cruz could get Carson's votes? Why is that ok?

Also, yesterday, Beck said that Lindsey Graham endorsed Cruz. Beck kept saying how great this was even though his two friends Pat and Stu didn't like it and I don't like it. Lindsey Graham is a Progressive - a Rhino - who is in with the Democratic Party. Cruz is also being backed by the Bush's who are in with the Elites. I'm not getting Beck at all.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.