Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

foxman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2007, 3:00 am

Last year I was shocked when a friend described me as "soft spoken." When I started thinking about it, I realized that all of my prof's have asked me to speak more loudly in class...then I thought, maybe all those times I thought people were ignoring me...they just couldn't hear me?

Anyone else have this problem? (I'm not really sure it's a "problem," per se, I deeply dislike people that speak too loudly...but you know what I mean...)

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 3:02 am

Sorry, you'll have to type louder. ;)

Actually, yes, I do have this problem, and it's only gotten worse since adolescence.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

22 Apr 2007, 3:05 am

I've often had to talk more loudly. But I also have a problem with talking too loudly. :?

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 3:07 am

KBABZ wrote:
I've often had to talk more loudly. But I also have a problem with talking too loudly. :?

I think I more often talk too loudly, especially when I'm with family or something and comfortable.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 3:10 am

Yes…I’m “‘…soft spoken and with a gentle demeanour.’”

My whole life I’ve always thought people could see externally how much pain I felt internally; obviously not. Then I was diagnosed.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 3:12 am

I am either too soft or too loud. I cannot win with my mother, who would either tell me to 'stop mumbling' or ask 'why do you have to talk so loudly?'

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 3:57 am

I tend to speak quietly, which is only a problem when whoever I'm talking to doesn't listen properly! :evil:

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 4:08 am

People can never hear me when I talk.

Butcher
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Apr 2007, 4:47 am

I have that trouble as well, foxman. I do speak more softly than most but I certainly do not mumble. I get "huh" "what" or "say again" often at work. Last time I had surgery, the anesthesiologist had to put the tube down my throat for the anesthetic rather than just the mask, one of the reasons being because I have such a small mouth.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 4:52 am

I have a tremendous capability to project.
Nonetheless, I often throw things away.
Plus, if I feel shy or uncertain, I speak more
softly.

foxman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2007, 5:21 am

I know that I definately get quieter when I'm nervous...I'm taking a conducting class right now, and there's been a fair amount of class time devoted to me, on the podium, trying to speak loudly enough for the prof. I realize that, were I conducting, no one in the back of the orch would hear what I was saying...but it just feels like I'm yelling...

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 6:00 am

Yeah, we talked about this before. It is a known and documented ASPIE trait. And YEP, I have it.

Steve

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 7:27 am

I can speak too softly - or, alternatively, I can speak too quickly. Either way I can often make people have to ask me to repeat myself. When I do both, it's even worse...

When I used to drink alcohol, though, I used to go in completely the opposite direction and speak far too loudly.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 7:50 am

Normally I speak too softly and get told about it. I can also be too loud as well. I don't seem to have good voice modulation. It doesn't help that I sound like a child.

beer
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Apr 2007, 7:55 am

I defnitively have this problem as well. I tend to talk too softly, and to make matters worse, I don't pronounce my words very well, making it even more diffilcult for other people to understand me. The more exited I get, the worse it becomes!

Cheers,

Hannes

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 8:01 am

I'm slightly confused about this because I don't think I'm softly spoken. yet I get asked to repeat myself a lot. But more often they just turn away mid sentence. I think this is really rude. Maybe the can't hear be but I feel they don't like what I'm talking about.