Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

12 Mar 2016, 1:56 pm

Hey everyone, Sydney here with a friendly "get to know each other question". First things first, I don't post much on the forums because i'm scared that i would get a negative response to my stuff. BUT i'm starting to think it is silly to think that because i see your posts and answers to each other and see 100% helpful and harmful comments! Okay lets get started on the getting to know each other question! What are some hobbies that you like to do during your free time or anytime? I will answer mine soon after I get a few responses to check back later! :)

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 2:08 pm

I like to browse and post on forums. I also read, write, and make things up in my head. Don't be scared to post--most people here are very friendly!

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

12 Mar 2016, 2:12 pm

TheAP wrote:
I like to browse and post on forums. I also read, write, and make things up in my head. Don't be scared to post--most people here are very friendly!

I browse too, I like to read and write allot! :) Thank you for a response to my post

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 2:22 pm

What sorts of things do you like to read and write?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 2:51 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

12 Mar 2016, 7:13 pm

TheAP wrote:
What sorts of things do you like to read and write?

I like to read about travel,fantasy, and romance

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 8:03 pm

I quite enjoy hiking, which is convenient because I live a stone's throw from the Rocky Mountains. I am also of course way into my special interests which include space, engineering, computer science, and things of that sort.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

13 Mar 2016, 11:38 am

mikeman7918 wrote:
I quite enjoy hiking, which is convenient because I live a stone's throw from the Rocky Mountains. I am also of course way into my special interests which include space, engineering, computer science, and things of that sort.

Wow that is so cool, I am actually going hiking sometime this week (Spring break). Also computer science sounds awesome, What do you do in it?
:D

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2016, 2:49 pm

A while ago I read a book about the basics of computing which gives an in depth explenation of every wire and transistor in a basic 8 bit computer. Something I really want to do at some point soon is try to build a CPU, I would be lucky if I could get it to handle much more then flashing a few lights but it would still be awesome. Computer science uses information theory a lot for things like data compression, communication within and between machines, data storage, data recovery, and stuff like that. Lately I have been really interested in RAID 5 and 6 parity data generation which I want to try to figure out instead of looking it up because it's a really interesting mathematical probelem that seems quite fun to solve. I have also been interested in computer software that can use simulated "emotions" to alter it's behavior and adapt to complex situations. It's definitely some interesting stuff.

Deviant Art

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

13 Mar 2016, 5:52 pm

mikeman7918 wrote:
A while ago I read a book about the basics of computing which gives an in depth explenation of every wire and transistor in a basic 8 bit computer. Something I really want to do at some point soon is try to build a CPU, I would be lucky if I could get it to handle much more then flashing a few lights but it would still be awesome. Computer science uses information theory a lot for things like data compression, communication within and between machines, data storage, data recovery, and stuff like that. Lately I have been really interested in RAID 5 and 6 parity data generation which I want to try to figure out instead of looking it up because it's a really interesting mathematical probelem that seems quite fun to solve. I have also been interested in computer software that can use simulated "emotions" to alter it's behavior and adapt to complex situations. It's definitely some interesting stuff.

Wow that sounds so cool and interesting..I think i will look into that and consider doing it myself! :)

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2016, 6:47 pm

I personally enjoy singing, acting, writing (both songs and stories, occasionally poetry), watching movies, TV Shows, and YouTube videos (some of my favorites being Nostalgia Critic and Screen Junkies Movie Fights), reading, playing video games, calling up relatives and friends, hanging out at the mall, and shopping.

seaanemone17
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Mar 2016, 7:56 pm

I love to search for wild flowers. I have a collection of photos from all the different species I've found.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2016, 9:11 pm

Amateur radio, astronomy, baking, bicycling, camping, cooking, gardening, hiking ...

... a whole buncha stuff.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2016, 12:34 am

skiddlebugz wrote:
Wow that sounds so cool and interesting..I think i will look into that and consider doing it myself! :)

The book about the basics of computing is called "but how do it know" if you are interested in reading it.

Deviant Art

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2016, 12:45 am

I had read "Hobbies" as "Hobbits" by mistake! In case you were wondering, I don't do anything to hobbits. :lol:

I enjoy watching cartoons, playing games like Candy Crush Saga, and collecting makeup. I'm also kind of a science nerd. I absolutely love biology!

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2016, 1:32 am

mikeman7918 wrote:

Back in the early days, it wasn't uncommon for hobbyist to make their own 4-bit. They can't do much, but it is a wonderful start.
You might find this site interesting: http://www.homebrewcpu.com/
Not only for the info it contains, and the links, and the bibliography, but also a real, live *working* example of a 1990's style "webring" that still has working nodes (of other homebrew CPU builders, of course)!
http://www.ttlcpu.com/content/links is another linkfest to people who like to roll their own cpu's.

TTL/discrete logic computers were pretty common up until the z80 or so. It's weird though, the first time you see one; you're eye immediately starts looking for that one big chip and it's just not there. That's why modern FPGA homemade CPU's can be so inherently satisfying. :wink:

RAID is amazingly fun, productive & protective. Have fun!