Can't assume that universities are worse for sexual violence

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 7:49 pm

wilburforce wrote:
I just meant that if you aren't a student at university/college, how is the issue of sexual assault specifically on campuses relevant to you to the extent that you need to debate about it on the internet?

I suspect that 0ET, like many Aspies, doesn't care for lies, even if they're told in the service of a good cause, and there seems to be an awful lot of lying going on surrounding campus sexual assault rates, whipping up hysteria that is then used to push political interventions. Just like I care about preventing rape despite being unlikely to personally be at risk, I care about honesty in research, even if it may have no direct bearing on me personally, especially if it's being used to drive policy.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 7:52 pm

1% is the reports of completed rape, attempted rape, sexual assault or threat of sexual assault/rape in university population ages 18 to 25 between 1995-2013, it is actually less then 1% in fact. Yes it is likely to be higher than that for unreported and I made sure mention that in my opening post.

I was saying there is no reason to assume there is more rape/sexual assault in universities. Not that there isn't or I know for sure. The verifiable statics says that there is more rape/sexual assault outside of university. Not multiple time, but 1.2 times. So it is little safer in universities according to reported figures.

It could be that students are less likely to report, but we can't assume that that either. Hence my statement stands, we can't assume it, we must do more research.

One narrative has been a culture and epidemic of sexual violence specifically in universities. It doesn't mean I know the actual rate, I'm saying the best evidence we doesn't support an assumption that there is an epidemic in universities.

The 1/4 or 1/5 women experienced it in universities statistic used by some activists has not been substantiated with evidence beyond anecdotal. This is a massively high figure, which naturally draws attention for scrutiny.

For that to be true, either the offenders must be very efficient and prolific, or there are large number of offender in universities. Sorry but naturally I'm skeptical of such high numbers, becuase of the maths involved. You also have to look at the methodology involve in drawing those conclusion to see that there are problems there.

These sorts of statistic are often used to highlight an issue, however when they lack credibility it doesn't serve to help those most in need, as that information is not practically useful for anything.

wilburforce wrote:
I just meant that if you aren't a student at university/college, how is the issue of sexual assault specifically on campuses relevant to you to the extent that you need to debate about it on the internet? It seems like a lot of people who want to talk about sexual assault on the internet want to stop victims from talking about their experiences or discount victims and claim it's not as much of a problem as it is, and I don't see how that is productive or conducive to anything good. Sexual assault victims care about justice, too.

Anything should be open to debate. Whether I'm in university or not. I care about accurate research so victims can be helped. If perceptions get in the way of this, that is too bad.

Where have I said that sexual assault victims don't care about justice or that I'm trying to de-legitimaise or stop victims talking about their experiences?

I never want to stop anyone talking about their experiences, whatever they may be.

I'm pointing out that perceptions can be wrong, and we need to look at modus operandi empirically as possible without being tainted by perceptions and social theory. I think this is a fair point to make.

You are basically implying becuase I want to debate this, and not towing a line, then I should be pigeon holed. Nope, this discussion is encouraging open debate. You are doing it now with me, if you want to of course.

However you a lot focused on why I want to debate this. A good enough reason for debate is simply to be inquisitive and analytical and there is no other prerequisite require beyond that.

It is bad thing when a subject is too sensitive to discuss.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 8:00 pm

I'm going to bow out of this discussion, because I don't feel comfortable participating. Carry on without me.

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)