Everbody is a little bit autistic genetically

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 11:15 pm

Autism genes are in all of us, new research reveals

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2016, 1:49 am

It's almost like they're saying they've identified the countless genes that correlate with being autistic, except for the little detail of actually knowing what those genes are because there are so many of them...which indicates they are common to everyone & it's only a matter of degree that determines if someone crosses the threshold for diagnosis?

Isn't that why it's called the autistic spectrum in the first place?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2016, 8:12 pm

Explains why autism has always been present with the human species from the beginning, and how it might appear unexpectedly in one's children.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2016, 8:50 pm

Doesn't it also make a bit of difference if the genes are dominant or recessive, autosomal or allosomal, etc.? Everybody has genes for albinism too but that doesn't make everybody a little bit albino genetically. :|

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 7:55 am

LyraLuthTinu wrote:
Doesn't it also make a bit of difference if the genes are dominant or recessive, autosomal or allosomal, etc.? Everybody has genes for albinism too but that doesn't make everybody a little bit albino genetically. :|

I think this is correct, though the actual mechanisms are even more complicated because the phenotype emerges from the interaction of many systems when the variations in those systems alone may be part of a normal range.

Saying "everybody is a little bit autistic" because the genetic variations that contribute to autism are widespread is like saying we are a little bit of a thermonuclear bombs because we all contain hydrogen. The details make a difference.

What defines autism is behavior. People who don't exhibit the behavioral criteria are not "a little bit autistic."

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 12:33 pm

Adamantium wrote:
LyraLuthTinu wrote:

I think this is correct, though the actual mechanisms are even more complicated because the phenotype emerges from the interaction of many systems when the variations in those systems alone may be part of a normal range.

Saying "everybody is a little bit autistic" because the genetic variations that contribute to autism are widespread is like saying we are a little bit of a thermonuclear bombs because we all contain hydrogen. The details make a difference.

What defines autism is behavior. People who don't exhibit the behavioral criteria are not "a little bit autistic."

Saying most people have one or a few autistic traits is more accurate then saying everybody is a little bit autistic.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 2:00 am

And everyone is a little bit "albino", since we all carry the genes for it. Point being?

Carrying genes for something != having a genetic condition.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2016, 9:37 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Saying most people have one or a few autistic traits is more accurate then saying everybody is a little bit autistic.

I think it's true to say that autistic traits are common in the general population. People who have enough traits to the degree specified in the criteria are autistic. People who have many of the traits but too a lesser degree can be considered in the broader autistic phenotype.

There are plenty of people who don't have autistic traits at all. Saying "everyone is a little bit autistic" makes the term autism meaningless. Understanding of genetics is not sufficiently developed in the general population that ""everyone is a little bit autistic genetically" doesn't communicate much.

danum
Raven
Raven

28 Mar 2016, 10:05 am

Everyone might be a little bit autistic, or have a few autistic traits, but it doesn't cause them any problems. Some of us with autism are totally excluded from society...and that is a major problem for us.