Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

23 Apr 2007, 5:31 am

Does anyone homeschool? Would you tell me what it's like.

Does anyone wish they could homeschool?

I would love to hear your experiences.

Smelena

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 5:38 am

I did Open Access College for awhile, but I wouldn't really call it homeschooling.

gili
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Apr 2007, 9:44 am

I homeschooled both my kids. My son graduated in 2001, my daughter with AS graduates this year. She was homeschooled her entire life with the exception of a semester in private school as a freshman and a semester in public school as junior. She wanted to try them and see what they were like. She kept great grades at both but didn't like them; they were quote "boring and dumb". She didn't have much use for most of the other kids but tolerated them.

She liked homeschool better because she could learn at her own pace and go as in-depth as she wanted into her favorite subjects. Must not have been too bad because she has several academic scholarships to a major university this fall. She had tons of mail from colleges all across the country so I know homeschooling doesn't bother the colleges.

There are all kinds of methods and curriculum that can be used. The laws vary depending on where you live.

Hope that helps with what you wanted to know. :)

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

24 Apr 2007, 2:15 am

Thanks.

My 7 year old is extremely stressed at school. We had an IEP meeting today and I'll see how he goes with those changes.

Part of the IEP plan is that he will stay home on Wednesdays.

If things don't improve a lot I will have to strongly consider homeschooling.

Smelena

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 2:45 am

Currently, I'm homeschooled after school at my school. Here's the thing. I was going to my school (completely mainstreamed, mind you) for full days. Then I went half days, and then I didn't go at all and the teachers came to my house to help me with the school work they brought with them to finish up the first semester. Now I am doing this program called The American School where you have all these tests in these books and when you're done, you send them to the headquarters in Illionois to get graded and when you complete the course, you get a credit. So right now I am going to homeschooling after school so I can still socialize and be with my friends and so the teachers don't have to drive all the way to my house on the edge of the county. A bus comes and picks me up and I take the activity bus home once I'm done. I typically go for two hours a day on Mondays and Wednesdays unless my teacher has a meeting or if it's a half day.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

24 Apr 2007, 6:19 am

Thanks Lightning88. Have you felt calmer/happier with this arrangement?

My 7 year old is so anxious and hating school right now.

DingoDv
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 6:56 am

poor guy :( - is there anything in paticular he's not liking? or just the general being there?

gili
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Apr 2007, 8:34 am

I don't know about Australia, but here we have what is refered to as Homeschool groups. These are groups of homeschool families that live in a general area that arrange activities together. There are are usually so many that you have to choose whcih ones you want to participate in. Things like science class, P.E., music or band. Our local group hosted things like science fairs, history fairs, ect.

That way our kids still had socialization. When my kids were that young they loved to do unit studies. I didn't know it at the time but that just fit right in with thier current obsession. Actually it worked well for all of us. Unit studies are where you fit all subjects around one topic. They can be lots of fun, plus for a kid with AS it can make studing so much more appealing.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and I hope things work out well. I have no idea what laws there are about homeschooling in Australia. If you are interested and want more information you might try hslda it is a legal group that helps protect homeschoolers and provides them with legal information and guidance.

Airbrush
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2007, 10:17 am

I`m anxious at school too and i have meltdown`s when we`re going on school trip`s or before PE class for an example..

I actully don`t know the reason for why i get anxious, it`s probably how my brain is and that i just hate it from nature..
I actully get sick when i get anxious and stress`d, i get a headache wich is really bad and my stomach get`s ill..

I would really like too be homeschool`d, too avoid all the stress and such.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

25 Apr 2007, 5:00 am

DingoDv wrote:
poor guy :( - is there anything in paticular he's not liking? or just the general being there?

He hates school for many reasons:
- the kids are too noisy
- he knows he's different and that upsets him
- his social skills are poor and he doesn't know what to say
- the school work is boring (he's very bright)
- he hates sitting on the floor (it makes him very tired)
- the playground is too dusty
- he hates P.E.

We had an IEP meeting yesterday to address these concerns.

Daniel is an absolute maths whizz so the teacher is going to set him harder maths work. I told Daniel and he is very excited by this but wanted to know - 'what are the stupid kids going to do?' :lol:

Smelena

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 5:01 am

Who doesn't hate P.E? :wink:

DingoDv
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 10:36 am

'what are the stupid kids going to do?'

Carry on being stupid - saying that, I was never allowed to call people stupid - just think it,

I think my only concern would be, if homeschooling didn't work out, it would most likely be alot harder to get him back into school - he definitely wouldn't want to start again.

Airbrush
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2007, 12:05 pm

Smelena wrote:
DingoDv wrote:

He hates school for many reasons:
- the kids are too noisy
- he knows he's different and that upsets him
- his social skills are poor and he doesn't know what to say
- the school work is boring (he's very bright)
- he hates sitting on the floor (it makes him very tired)
- the playground is too dusty
- he hates P.E.

We had an IEP meeting yesterday to address these concerns.

Daniel is an absolute maths whizz so the teacher is going to set him harder maths work. I told Daniel and he is very excited by this but wanted to know - 'what are the stupid kids going to do?' :lol:

Smelena

Dang

I`m just like that!
And the weird part is that my name is Daniel too!8O

I hope thing`s wil work out for you and your son

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 11:29 pm

Smelena wrote:
Thanks Lightning88. Have you felt calmer/happier with this arrangement?

My 7 year old is so anxious and hating school right now.

Yeah, I'd say things have been much better since I started. I'm able to catch up on more sleep, I don't feel over-worked anymore, I have more time to do stuff I like, I can still do after-school activities and hang out with my friends, and I basically don't have to deal with any of the disadvantages of school anymore. I'm lucky to have such an excellent principal to let me do all of this there! The best part is, I'm still learning as much as before but I'm able to get through my credits much faster. After I finish up this course, I only have one left- interior design. I love getting to de electives! I'd honestly reccomend this program for anybody who's willing to find out about it. At my last school, we did this program at my house and the county hired a private tutor to come over to school me. I also have the choice of doing the work on my own as well. Honestly, I think that The American School is the best way to have school. :)

Dadof3
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 May 2007, 8:54 pm

My 13 yr old AS hated school and we began homeschooling two years ago. Lots of great books out there on the subject, the best one is "Homeschooling the child with Aspergers Syndrome" by Lise Pyles. You can find in on Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble.

This book made us feel much better about making the jump from school to homeschool. Its one of the best things we have done for our daughter, and we wish we would have started sooner.

Good luck.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 9:12 pm

I homeschooled since I was an eighth-grader. I enjoyed it alot more than the private school I went to. I'm going to college soon.

-SpaceCase