Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

k9writer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Apr 2016, 9:13 am

I ran a quick search and found a bunch of old threads on autism service dogs, but I'd like to add this one to the mix. I am in the process of getting a service dog to mitigate some of my more severe symptoms so I can safely live and function on my own, as well as symptoms from various other psychiatric disorders. I made a google survey for any of you who have considered an autism service dog, have one, or have owned one in the past. I'd really appreciate it if you could take the time to fill it out. Thank you!

http://goo.gl/forms/O4Nm0dBcle

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 11:43 am

I'd like a service dog but have no idea how to train one. When I got my Lab puppy I was thinking maybe I could figure out on my own how to train her to be a service dog, but she's turned out as just a pet instead. There's a group in my area that train autism dogs but only for MFA/LFA kids, and they refused to even give me any advice on how to train my own dog.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 12:40 pm

I don't have a service dog, but I am in the process of looking into getting one. I probably would adopt my own dog and then train him or her to be a service dog. I heard there is a long waiting list to get a pre-trained one, but I'm not sure if that is true or not.