Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Benthedemon007
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Apr 2016, 2:33 pm

When I was 4, I was diagnosed with aspergers and adhd, and showed all the normal symptoms except for language loss (eg. hypersensitivity, awkwardness, eye contact, stimming, difficulty navigating social situations, mixed IQ [gifted verbally/a few other things, not-so-good processing speed, hyperactive, impulsive).
However, now, 10 years later, my symptoms have gotten a lot better. I am not hypersensitive to things/get meltdowns anymore, I know how to spot my awkwardness and turn it into a joke, I hardly ever cry, I might be awkward and am certainly not popular but don't seem to come across as "weak" or as a "looser" anymore, and I make fine eye contact most of the time (although it's nice to be able to listen to someone while simultaniously looking at something). I still sometimes don't know what to do in complicated social situations (more so than most of my friends) and do hyperfocus. I daydream hours a day and have a very good imagination. I'm an ambivert. I stimm a little bit, but more in an ADD kind of way (tapping, etc). I still have a mixed IQ. I do come off as a little different, as I like heavy metal and politics and love to research about space and the air force, and my personality is a little eccentric. Another thing that I never understood is, why do NTs get so angry over people disagreeing politically with them? Seriously. It makes no sense. Back to the point, even with these things considered, I come off as badly ADHD (I am very inattentive, impulsive, and procrastinate a lot) and most people would be pretty surprised to know I have any form of autism. I do still get picked on a little, but I know how to deal with jerks.

So my question is, with my aspergers being this mild, should I identify by it?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2016, 6:02 pm

I don't think most Aspies think of themselves as losers, nor are they losers.

In fact, many become winners because they use whatever abilities they possess---which can be considerable in many areas. And they don't think of themselves as losers because they are a little "weird."

I only "identify as an Aspie" when the situation calls for it.

At work, I don't; otherwise, they might think something different about me which might not let me keep the job.

Why not identify as Aspie? It's not like you're identifying yourself with something negative.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 1:37 pm

Only if you wish to do so.

Benthedemon007
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Apr 2016, 3:12 pm

Quote:
I don't think most Aspies think of themselves as losers, nor are they losers.

I wasn't trying to say that Aspies are losers, nor that they think of themselves that way, but rather that in social settings NTs often wrongfully think of aspies as "losers".

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 3:18 pm

Do what you think is best. Identifying myself as a person with autism is probably more useful for me to explain some things that I do which I cannot control. It's better that they know that I have autism rather than assume worse things. In certain situations, it's not good for others to know.

In the future, I may not have much to explain if I continue to work on things, so it may not be necessary to bring up the subject.

Gematron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Apr 2016, 5:42 pm

To me you sure do seem like an Aspie. You just learned how to better adapt to your environment. I'm the same way and I've really got a handle on things for the most part. But for the most part if I'm ever over whelmed by something or get burned out from being in an uncomfortable situation for too long all of my Aspie traits come out at full force and there's no really stopping it unless I get some rest. Like the people above me said it's really your call if you want to consider yourself an Aspie. I like to consider myself as one and I wouldn't have it any other way. Yeah it's not always great being an Aspie but it's who I am and I feel like I'm fortunate to be one as I see the world differently than the majority and IM GRATEFUL FOR THAT! Some of the stuff that NT's obsessive or deem important baffles the crap out of me and I don't think I will ever understand (nor do I want to haha).

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 4:31 pm

Benthedemon007 wrote:
When I was 4, I was diagnosed with aspergers and adhd, and showed all the normal symptoms except for language loss../

I'm confused. Language problems manifest in classic autism, but not in Aspies. That's what separates Asperger's Syndrome from Classic Autism.

As for whether you should identify as autistic or not, let me share with you a couple videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6-PwVuYy2Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1HQKB2txgY

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 9:10 pm

Benthedemon007 wrote:
When I was 4, I was diagnosed with aspergers and adhd, and showed all the normal symptoms except for language loss (eg. hypersensitivity, awkwardness, eye contact, stimming, difficulty navigating social situations, mixed IQ [gifted verbally/a few other things, not-so-good processing speed, hyperactive, impulsive).
However, now, 10 years later, my symptoms have gotten a lot better. I am not hypersensitive to things/get meltdowns anymore, I know how to spot my awkwardness and turn it into a joke, I hardly ever cry, I might be awkward and am certainly not popular but don't seem to come across as "weak" or as a "looser" anymore, and I make fine eye contact most of the time (although it's nice to be able to listen to someone while simultaniously looking at something). I still sometimes don't know what to do in complicated social situations (more so than most of my friends) and do hyperfocus. I daydream hours a day and have a very good imagination. I'm an ambivert. I stimm a little bit, but more in an ADD kind of way (tapping, etc). I still have a mixed IQ. I do come off as a little different, as I like heavy metal and politics and love to research about space and the air force, and my personality is a little eccentric. Another thing that I never understood is, why do NTs get so angry over people disagreeing politically with them? Seriously. It makes no sense. Back to the point, even with these things considered, I come off as badly ADHD (I am very inattentive, impulsive, and procrastinate a lot) and most people would be pretty surprised to know I have any form of autism. I do still get picked on a little, but I know how to deal with jerks.

I don't identify with most your post. I have never felt weak or like a loser. On the contrary, I get accused of the opposite frequently. And the crying thing? I think I have cried twice since leaving infancy.

I personally don't make a public identification to aspergers. Its really no ones business so I don't bring it up one way or the other. It probably comes up a few times a year, when someone else brings it up, and I reply "yes". I'm me. I have no reason to stick adjectives or descriptors around me.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2016, 9:05 am

Benthedemon007 wrote:

Yes, but it's weird aspies, normally are diagnossed around my age. Though it comes down to rather you'd want to be called a

Autistic

Autie

Aspie

Aspergian

Insert other name for one on the Spectrum Here

so, it's more your personal preverance, though feeling like a loser I've seen alot of people on these forums, say that. Though I don't.
Fore I'd rather be unique than normal.