Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2016, 5:24 pm

For decades, my dad been promising me that he will buy me a condo, but that will never happen, he lost almost everything around 2007.

I still want to live in a condo or a small house, but it will be MORE RESPONSIBLE to take care of a house.

Do you ever wish that you can own a house?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2016, 5:36 pm

I own a house.
Someone I loved dearly died and left it to me.

Be careful what you wish for.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 3:39 pm

took me 47 years to get my own place.

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 7:01 pm

I'd rather like small condo - it's much easier to take care about it, and I'm not that person who cares much about material possession and making house to look like kind of "family nest".

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 7:03 pm

I was determined to one day own my own little plot of land with a little tin can on it, away from people.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 7:48 pm

Do you live on little house on the prairie?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 9:06 pm

We own ours outright, no mortgage payments - just taxes and insurance - and while it is more secure and permenant than renting, it is a much bigger headache than you think it will be.

Before we got our house I never thought it would be so stressful, worrying about everything and trying to get this or that fiixed and trying to do preventative things too.

I wouldn't go back to renting for anything but I do miss the time when out big stress about our home was whether we could svrape up the rent money.

Both are stressful but I remember that when you're renting you can actually just rent a truck and pack it and leave with everything you own in a weekend. There is definitely more freedom in renting. But I like knowing that the only way I'm going to get thrown out of here and made to leave is if we don't pay the yearly taxes or if we let it go so bad it's condemned. And I guarantee you I'm on top of both of those possibilities all the time to make sure it could never happen. Hence the stress.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 9:19 pm

Yes that's one of those adult things that I have.

Yes one room is a toy room.
My wife will ask me every once and awhile to move them from the kitchen table. 8)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Apr 2016, 12:58 am

Me & my girlfriend wish we had our own home. We live in a townhouse apartment with neighbors on both sides & the walls have no insulation. Both sides yell a lot, one side bangs things around, kid on the other side cries loudly & her dad or whatever yells at her "Shut up you f#cking little b!tch" which just makes her cry more. Also we think a neighbor is smoking in their basement & setting off our smoke alarm. It went off today for no reason we could find & around the same time a couple days ago.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 4:25 pm

OY

We have had the "joy"? of living in 4 plex

Pluses no lawn to mow.

I actually like doing the lawn
except the use of the trimmer to do edge work.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 4:45 am

I have a mortgage over a small 2br townhouse but it's more of a terrace really. The complex was built in the early 2000's and its a little unkempt. Most of my neighbours are renters and the rent is fairly cheap compared to other properties of the same type so they attract some poor quality tenants. My place itself is ok. Needs a few repairs and replacements but it's liveable.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 8:33 am

i own my own home with nothing owing, and it is definitely a very integral part of my sense of long term security.

but the novelty of owning a house (with nothing owing) does wear off, and new anxieties can take the place of the old "what happens if i wind up broke on the streets" anxiety.

at the moment, i am suffering health anxieties (formerly called hypochondria) and my mind fixates on any slight sensation in my body that i have never been aware of before. when i go to bed, it is with the anxiety that if i am suffering from a terminal condition, the house will not save me.

if i did not own a house, then that anxiety would displace my health anxiety, and it is hard to determine which anxiety is worse. all anxieties feel bad and they make you forget the severity of the anxieties they displaced.

at the moment, i am satisfied that i am ok physically, so i am glad i have the house.
here is my peaceful back yard

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2016, 8:06 am

I am working on finding a family home now. If I lived in the USA I could easily afford it just on my salary but here in Canada the prices are nothing short of insane at the moment. On the plus side there is a ton of selection (since nobody can afford them) but the asking prices for houses are approaching half a million where I live, where most people I know live paycheque to paycheque. I'm so sick of renting, of moving (three moves in a year) and of not being able to fully relax when I get home.

I've been gunning for a promotion for years but might pull the trigger before I actually get it. The average age of people in my department's management is over 60 so eventually people will have to start retiring.

MarbleRye
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Apr 2016, 1:16 am

I wouldn't want to own a house by myself, but a condo/townhouse is fine (which is good because I own a condo).

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 2:16 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
I am working on finding a family home now. If I lived in the USA I could easily afford it just on my salary but here in Canada the prices are nothing short of insane at the moment. On the plus side there is a ton of selection (since nobody can afford them) but the asking prices for houses are approaching half a million where I live, where most people I know live paycheque to paycheque. I'm so sick of renting, of moving (three moves in a year) and of not being able to fully relax when I get home.

I've been gunning for a promotion for years but might pull the trigger before I actually get it. The average age of people in my department's management is over 60 so eventually people will have to start retiring.

Yeah, this... except half a million dollars for a house is considered very cheap here and can only be found about a 2 hour or so drive away from the city - maybe further to be under $500k for a detached home. Houses in the city now average $1.78M & almost no one working here makes the kind of money it takes to buy a place of that value.

It's still possible for working class people to buy condos in the suburbs.. but even then many live very paycheque to paycheque.

I've evolved to become rather indifferent about home ownership. If I happen to "make it" and can easily afford my own home of some sort, then maybe I'll buy one somewhere around here someday. Otherwise when I move next I'll likely rent a place that's bigger than I need and then sublet to roommates or tenants. It'll also be easier to afford to buy a home somewhere else (maybe out of province even) and rent it out while I rent a place to live here.