'right' answers to online personality tests?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 8:27 pm

I think you want to be like a movie director and ask, what kind of employee do they want? And then act the role in pretty broad terms. Even have a little bit of fun with it and explore the role.

Obviously, things should not be this way, but for the time being it appears like they are.

=====

I got three retail jobs in 2009, 2010, and 2012 by taking the goody-two shoes approach on these tests.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 8:44 pm

But if you do get hired after lying on one of these tests, won't they figure it out eventually and get angry with you? If I put that I'm a social butterfly and they learn that I'm anything but, they would accuse me of lying on the test, and they'd be right. Also, lying on there could put you in a work position that you don't want. They might put me in a position where I have to interact with a lot of people if I put that answer, and if I said that wouldn't be a good job for me, they would once again accuse me of lying on the test. So it feels like lose-lose here.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 4:56 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
I mean, how to game the damn things and have some reasonable chance of getting the job.

For example, there's this question:

"Most people have stolen something from work at some time."

Strongly agree
Moderately agree
Neutral
Moderately disagree
Strongly disagree

I think this question is based on the naïve psychology that if you believe most other people cheat on their taxes, then you will be more likely to cheat on your own taxes. And therefore, the only correct answer is "Strongly disagree." That's my view.

But I'd be very interested in what you think about such tests, and how to handle them.

Those tests are done to "catch out" people who are trying to game the system. Basically they are playing a game to decide who to employ but will only employee people who play their game a certain way and don't employee people who play the game differently, because one type of game playing is better than another. Right?

If you answer "too bad" they won't hire you as you are a liability, if you answer "too good" they won't hire you as you are gaming the system. That automatically cuts out large sections of people wanting the job so it makes it easier to decide, that's all it is really for, not for finding the best candidate.

To answer that specific question I'd agree, as most people have stolen something from work, be it a pen, a notepad, a handful of chips if you work at a restaurant etc.