Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 12:09 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I like handshaking better than that "bump and hug" modern people have come up with.

I don't like the "fist pump" that much....though I understand the hygienic reason for it.

That's the same with me.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 12:29 pm

zkydz wrote:
Edenthiel wrote:
zkydz wrote:
Try to do anything social with the left hand in many Middle Eastern cultures. That would be a big no-no.

I think it's a Muslim tradition, as well.
Considering that most of those laws were developed in the Middle east, it would not surprise me. Many of those laws have a great validity on them as a way to curb disease (Dietary and hygiene), proper procreation (no incest, stds), settle differences with fewer distrusts (common customs dictated) etc.

A Pakistani I used to work with educated me on this and it dates back to long ago days before modern amenities, keeping hands clean, diet and social interactions. The left hand is for hygienic reasons only. It's the dirty hand. The right hand is for eating and social interactions as it will always be clean. He said it also had to do with conservation of water and not contaminating water supplies in areas that had very little water.

While that sounds quite noble and undoubtedly practical in those environments, modern toilet paper is more hygienic, and does not punish people for being left handed. It'd be really cool if religious-cultural traditions could adapt instead of staying so static.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 2:43 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
zkydz wrote:
Edenthiel wrote:
zkydz wrote:
Try to do anything social with the left hand in many Middle Eastern cultures. That would be a big no-no.

Considering that most of those laws were developed in the Middle east, it would not surprise me. Many of those laws have a great validity on them as a way to curb disease (Dietary and hygiene), proper procreation (no incest, stds), settle differences with fewer distrusts (common customs dictated) etc.

A Pakistani I used to work with educated me on this and it dates back to long ago days before modern amenities, keeping hands clean, diet and social interactions. The left hand is for hygienic reasons only. It's the dirty hand. The right hand is for eating and social interactions as it will always be clean. He said it also had to do with conservation of water and not contaminating water supplies in areas that had very little water.

While that sounds quite noble and undoubtedly practical in those environments, modern toilet paper is more hygienic, and does not punish people for being left handed. It'd be really cool if religious-cultural traditions could adapt instead of staying so static.
Many of them are. You're also seeing a lot of new non-denominational organizations pop up now for that very reason. People of faith, not dogma.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2016, 5:16 pm

I will accept a handshake if offered, only because the awkwardness that refusing creates is worse than the germs I have to suffer until I can wash my hands. I never initiate handshakes except in instances where I have to impress someone with my social skills, like during a job interview. I always feel awkward doing it though, because I'm always afraid the other person won't notice my attempt or will otherwise ignore it, so I never extend my hand fully; my elbow always stays parallel with my body. It's not deliberate, I can just never remember that I need to be more deliberate about the gesture until after the fact. I wish it weren't a thing though, I hate people touching me. I can accept hugs from friends and family, but not strangers, and even people I know can't touch my head or shoulders, or otherwise bump me lightly without me freaking out or getting angry.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2016, 10:21 pm

zkydz wrote:
Edenthiel wrote:
zkydz wrote:
Edenthiel wrote:
zkydz wrote:

Many of them are. You're also seeing a lot of new non-denominational organizations pop up now for that very reason. People of faith, not dogma.

Thank you - sometimes I may bet a weeee bit cynical. :roll:

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2016, 10:41 pm

I do not struggle with them at all. I know how long to do it, which hand, and, according to what others have said, I do have a 'good firm handshake'.

I also offer to give/recieve handshakes at a 50/50 rate.

There are a few issues I have with it though:

1. Hygiene. I am very clean and hygienic, but don't consider myself a neat-freak. However, someone who is clearly not very clean or hygienic at all, I feel very uncomfortable shaking their hand, for obvious reasons. It's disgusting not knowing where their hand has been.

A lot of the male members in my family especially, do not use soap. Yes, they wash their hands and shower and such, but not using soap after you take a poop disgusts me.

2. When another male tries to have a 'firm handshake' back. I've noticed this issue mostly with young males around the same age; shaking hands becomes some kind of one-man-up-manship d*ck size contest for who can squeeze the hardest.

I've gotten my hand squeezed very hard because of these trying-too hard types.

I think as one gets older, they learn learn what intensity to squeeze the other person's hand.

I already know my handshake is firm but not too hard - I don't absolutely squish their hand.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 5:43 am

Edenthiel wrote:
zkydz wrote:
Edenthiel wrote:
zkydz wrote:
Edenthiel wrote:
zkydz wrote:

Thank you - sometimes I may bet a weeee bit cynical. :roll:

Not a fan of dogma myself, I didn't realize this was happening until I saw four different non-denominational churches in a very small Georgia town when I visited my parents at Christmas.

So, if the Southern, Bible Belt, strongest bastion of deep, long held religious and dubious beliefs is seeing a bit of rebellion against the dogma, then I wonder how strong it has to be and really not noticed unless you see it directly.

Now, the question is this: If they are rebelling against dogma, what are they still hanging onto? I am heartened to see such rebellion. Critical thought is always good. But, what other things still linger?

See? I too am cynical. I just happened to see those things popping up and it's made me think.

But, my basic faith in people remains the same.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 8:54 am

How did we get onto the topic of religion and dogma in a thread about handshakes? 8O

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 9:07 am

Kuraudo777 wrote:
How did we get onto the topic of religion and dogma in a thread about handshakes? 8O

How old religious traditions that made sense in a long ago era are still being applied, many times viciously, to segments of populations.
Edenthiel had mentioned them punishing people for being left handed.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 9:09 am

^"There's no such thing as a left-handed samurai." I'm sort of left handed, so I often use boken [training swords] with my left. :lol:

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 2:12 pm

zkydz wrote:
Kuraudo777 wrote:

How old religious traditions that made sense in a long ago era are still being applied, many times viciously, to segments of populations.

Oh sure, blame me for the mess. Just to clarify, they weren't punishing people for being left handed, they were punishing them for being evil. Their handedness was a sign of the devil, much like a pagan woman floating when she'd been dunked in water, someone having a birthmark or many of the signs of autism. ;-)

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 3:06 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
zkydz wrote:
Kuraudo777 wrote:

Oh sure, blame me for the mess. Just to clarify, they weren't punishing people for being left handed, they were punishing them for being evil. Their handedness was a sign of the devil, much like a pagan woman floating when she'd been dunked in water, someone having a birthmark or many of the signs of autism. ;-)
Did not mean to blame you. But, your following examples are an excellent example of how something that made sense ages ago gets twisted to serve some other person or group's needs. It would seem your examples would be an extreme case of polarization which we are seeing happen in greater and greater numbers.

And, by the way...My birthmark was an actual bar code, when scanned, said "doofus". They wouldn't listen when I told them it was just a 999.

Idiots.....

Yeah, hyperbole.....although many would think I am the spawn of Satan incarnate.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 3:23 pm

I have a huge birthmark. Is there any reason why some birthmarks look the way they do? I read somewhere that birthmarks are from previous events/injuries in past lives. So...did something happen to my left leg in a previous life? 8)
Sorry to get totally off topic. :oops:

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 7:37 pm

I don't like hand shaking or anything of the sort, even hugs (only my mom can hug me).

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 10:42 pm

I read that in some cultures using your left hand socially is wrong because that's the hand most people (who are right-handed, naturally), use for cleaning themselves. Gross.