Page 2 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Apr 2007, 9:47 pm

Nellie wrote:
They like me at first but then when I don't continue to respond in the way they think I should they get very very nasty. Especially the women.

Exactly! I've been saying that since I was 6 years old. People liking me at first is hard on me - that's when they invite me to things that I dread.

lab_pet
Raven
Raven

24 Apr 2007, 10:47 pm

I don't know......no, wait, I don't care. Actually, I profoundly don't care.

Further, how can I know what any given NT thinks, in general? Why not bet race horses full time?

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 11:33 pm

NTs hate me.

RadiationHazard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 11:40 pm

I learned how to use their pleasantries and greetings and such. I learned like using them, because I like the mostly good reactions I get from it.
I'm a bit of a mimmick. I actually bluff my away through alot of stuff, which leaves me as somewhat of a decent communicator. People just see me was wierd.

Dr. Chase: I'm Australian.

Dr. House: You put the Queen on your money, you're British.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 11:47 pm

Wolfpup wrote:
I'm with Kosmonaut. I have no idea. I can't really tell (unless it's super obvious), so I tend to assume the worst, which prevents me from talking to anyone most of the time, and prevents anything from developing past polite conversation.

Actually...I'm editing this. I *THINK* I come across sometimes as cold (even though I'm not), and a little weird, but people seem to trust me and I think like me okay.

And like TellerStar, when I was growing up, I usually got on with older people better than people my own age (which worried my mom).
I've since read that that's common for people with AS.

Graelwyn wrote:
I don't know, but I seem to draw attention wherever I go, that is for sure. People seem to be drawn to stare at me naturally, even when I am dressed perfectly normally.

Well of course, you have those beautiful WINGS! :wink:

:D

dontwanttoknow
Raven
Raven

25 Apr 2007, 12:27 am

As a dumbass, probably. Or somebody without a life.

TellerStar
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2007, 3:34 pm

dontwanttoknow wrote:
Or somebody without a life.

That's probably most people's interpretation of me.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 3:43 pm

I think they perceive me with their sensory apparatus.

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 3:45 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
I think they perceive me with their sensory apparatus.

And its a complete bomb isn't it?
Especially them women or emotional men species.
The one's who believe they can reach the inner goodness of my core are also amusing.

TZ
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2007, 6:10 pm

I can't really tell how NTs perceive me, unless they are verbal about their perceptions (the mind reading thang), but I know that after about 6 weeks they generally decide they can't figure me out. At this point they tend to either start avoiding me or they accept me and we sort of get along together. About 80% of my peers take the avoidance route. My peers and bosses often don't pay attention to things I say, and frequently interrupt me. I attribute this to my AS/ADHD speech patterns and try to control them when I can (ritalin and/or caffeine help).

The interesting thing is that people who work for me tend like me. I think this is because I'm logical, quick to make decisions, eminently fair, hate long boring meetings and generally unbiased (someone once told me that I piss-off everyone equally and that makes me a good negotiator and arbitrator).

nb411
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 9:10 pm

Sometimes people find me intimidating because I ask them highly objective questions, usually bypassing the normal pleasantries.

People sometimes also mistake my quietness for shyness, when really I have no problem with confidence. I am just hanging back/ being reserved until I can build up a profile of the person before engaging them.

Although there are many definitions of shy:

2. easily frightened away; timid.
4. reluctant; wary.

I am definately more like number 4. (Taken from dictionary.com)

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 9:12 pm

they see me as a freak and weird, they want nothing to do with me and keep harassing me

nb411
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 9:14 pm

TZ wrote:
...I piss-off everyone equally...

Hehe. Excellent!

blacktext
Raven
Raven

29 Apr 2007, 10:34 pm

I'm not sure how other perceive me. At one time I prided myself in being totally aware of the motivations of others. Now I'm not as sure. People are very strange indeed.

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 10:50 pm

Like many here, I was bullied as a kid (even into my early college years), but I have learned to "adapt" and generally socialize pretty well.

I'm considered valuable at the college where I teach because the students like me (unlike many of my colleagues, I like the students as well, and they appreciate that fact). I'm also the computer "geek" of the English department, and people find that useful.

But, sometimes, I just say the "wrong" thing and cannot later understand what I "should have" said.

I was with my wife and children at a hotel with a buffet dining room this weekend. All that the "servers" have to do is to bring you soft drinks and coffee and pick up your dirty dishes so they don't clutter the table while you get more food. Usually they do this really well.

But Saturday evening, our server was a young man who wasn't picking up the dishes at all. They were just piling up. I asked him about it once and he picked up a few, but, then, didn't follow up. I mentioned it again, and he said, "Just let me know." I said that "I shouldn't have to." Normally, the servers very efficiently keep the tables clear for you.

Then, I said, "Look, brining out drinks and picking up the dishes is pretty much the whole job, isn't it?" After that, he became too good at it, going from table to table trying to take dishes that people were eating from.

I later told my wife what I said, and she told me that sometimes I really say things that are hurtful. I hadn't meant to be. I didn't know how else to explain the situation to him.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 11:06 pm

I don't do too much stuff like that...well, sometimes, but it's usually in more complex or new situations. I always kind of took it as a law whatever my mom said growing up, so if anything I'm kind of hyper vigilant about making sure nobody says something mean to a waiter or other person serving you. I get VERY uncomfortable if someone breaks that rule.