Aspie Childhood was hell, can anyone relate?/Going to first

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

25 Apr 2007, 11:41 am

I didn't talk when I was a toddler and it was real frustrating for me because I couldn't say what I wanted and only my parents understood my body language and my words. I also couldn't tell how I felt. My parents were told I'd be in an institution by the time I'm ten and I will never learn to talk and will always need to be taken care of.
I was placed in a school for kids with development delays when I was 3-5 years old and it was a great school. It was like a regular school except it was a few hours long.
When I was sixth I was placed in a class at an elementary school with ret*d kids and some were also autistic. When I look back I know only one of them was but I don’t know about the others but I remember there were also kids in there who didn’t belong in there either. The class held me back for two years because I never got the same education the normal kids were getting and when I was finally taken out of that class and placed in a another school in a class with normal kids, I had to do special ed and do first grade work to catch up in my education. I struggled with math in my class and I caught up finally after doing other steps of math for first grade and I finally understood the concept of carrying and borrowing.
I remember getting picked on by other kids throughout my life and I remember getting into fights with them. I’d hit them and spit at them and the outbursts didn’t start till sixth grade when things got really bad and my anxiety. I started throwing things and screaming and getting withdrawn and not doing my school work and my parents took me out of school for a while and I did school work at home.
I was taken advantage of a lot in elementary school and it left me with hard to trust kids and I was afraid to even go out with anyone because I wanted to protect myself from getting in trouble with the law in case my peers do something illegal like shoplifting.
I started to have troubles with friends when I was in 4th grade and by the time I was in 6th grade I had none. Their interests had all changed and they never wanted to do anything but chit chat and that was always hard for me and boring. I preferred games.
I had a real hard life and kids thought I was ret*d until I moved to Montana, kids said I was very smart. I mainstreamed special ed. because of my learning disability. Work started to get hard in 5th grade and it got worse and worse.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 12:08 pm

Like many of you, I was considered normal or above normal for intelligence for most of school, but had a horrible time socially. It started out okay, but got worse and worse, and totally tanked after we moved after 6th grade. Up until that point I had had the same friends at least.

The only time I got stuck in a special-ed like class was in high school there was a point where I just couldn't take it anymore, and basically skipped going to school for a whole year (my mom didn't know for weeks or months at first). I just couldn't deal with the stress of all the people and how they treated me. My mom got help from an Equip for Equality lawyer (thank GOD for people like that who donate their time for others!). Otherwise the school probably wouldn't let me back in, but instead had to.

Because of that though they tested me, and assumed I was...well, I don't really know what they thought, because my mom never told me, nor did anyone else. But they had me do an IQ test, and stuck me in a special-ed type class for one of my classes. When I came back with a 147 IQ, they had one of the teachers tuter me separately for a semester to get me caught up instead. I still had some teachers treat me kind of weirdly though-not bad, but just like they were expecting me to not be able to understand stuff that I could, when really my problems were pretty much all social.

Soooooo I guess I'm just rambling about nothing.

But I need to find an Asperger's group! I wonder if there is one around here...

natty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Apr 2007, 1:29 pm

I hated school , probably from the first day and right through to the last . I rarely had anyone to speak to during lessons , so if i got confused about something i would just sit there , sometimes i would try sometimes i just gave up and cried through sheer frustration . It has always seemed as though i need to ask more questions and recieve more clarification on what is expected of me in any given task , it is still a huge problem for me now .

I have always enjoyed reading and i was interested in many of the lessons we had , i just seemed unable despite my best efforts to ever hand in a piece of work that got a decent grade . I remember handing in my final assignment for my GCSE english course work , i got an A , the only A i ever got . The teacher was standing at the front of the class she looked at it , sighed then exploded into a full bown rant and yelled at me demanding to know how the hell i had managed to do that standard of work on the very last assignment and yet every other had been in the range between mediocre and average . I scraped a C in that subject , again the only C i ever got .

I had 3 attempts at maths but never achieved higher than an E , every other subject earned me a D, twice as i did resits of every Exam in a desperate attempt to get a C . I was destroyed . All through my childhood my father insisted that i was intelligent and clever , there was never any evidence to support his claim , but he continued to demand reasons as to why my work never earned the grades that he decided i was intelligent enough to achieve.

I never recieved any extra tuition for anything other than maths where for several years my parents paid for an after school tutor to help me .
I was never any good at art , but it didnt matter because there seemed to be no required standard for any work done. PE was hopeless i had no balance or coordination and nobody wanted me in their team for team sports , cant say i blame them .

Playtimes were no better, i was either alone stood in a corner or id been spotted by the bullies and was being poked, pestered and insulted and having my lunch money taken from me.

so in short yes school was hell and im very glad it's over and I never have to go back.

bb natty

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 9:12 am

From early times as a small child up to the point I was in High School never was I fond of such points in my life for, the very fact I often had to deal with various bullies as well, being treated like I was some lazy,idle person when it came to my academic actions.Still, I'm not going to say all of my childhood was a negative experience for, there was soom good areas just, those were not as frequent nor lasting in duration. Anyways, I've learned not to become so bothered by what happened so long ago and focus on what is now.

ProfessorX

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 9:35 am

Stereokid wrote:
SteveK wrote:
I was working with electronics, etc... I guess I should thank my mother for watching TV I HATE, and having parties I HATED. And the parties kept me awake ALSO!

Steve

What kinds of electronics did you work with?

All kinds. I built receivers, timers, osscilators,amps, etc... I drew schematics of controllers, etc.... In the end though, so much became so obsolete.(Not the CONCEPTS(which I should have patented. 8-(, but the method.) I mean 565s, 555s, 741s, etc.... Even with computers, address/refresh circuitry is greatly simplified. HEY, I started in the 60s! A lot of stuff was still CHASSIS then! TODAY, you have MULTI LAYER PC boards.

The projects ranged from fixing lights, to making a wirewrapped computer(Z80)! For the computer, though, I gave up because I couldn't find any inexpensive way to program the EPROM. 8-( I had everything else DONE though! Just as well, it would have taken me a while to boot up to a keboard system capable of running CP/M. I eventually just got an Apple II+. Even with the Apple II+, in 1980, I designed a simple stepper motor controller board for a DNC machine. The customer wanted to use a particular up and coming chip though, so I interfaced with that.

Why do you ask?

Steve