Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

TRUE
Toucan
Toucan

25 Apr 2007, 4:13 am

I've been playing this version of solitaire for a week or two and I really like it.

http://www.solitairenetwork.com/solitai ... -game.html

It took me awhile to get the hang of it. But so much is chance, along with skill, that it makes it more challenging than a lot of the solitaire games I've played.

My best score is 684. I guess we can't upload an image from our computer, right? Otherwise I'd put in the picture of the high score and playing field.

I don't know if people play solitaire much here. I like online games. Although I'm on dial-up, so I am limited. Give this game a try and post your best score.

There are several other kinds to play at that site. All free, no registration.

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 6:35 am

You should get 123 Free Solitare. My family loves it!

willem
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 9:34 am

Seems fun, but I don't get it... What constitutes a "set of 3 same-ranked cards"? I was lining up 3 10's in a row, 3 9's in a row, etc., but the game didn't recognize these as sets of 3. Do I need to make vertical sets?

TRUE
Toucan
Toucan

25 Apr 2007, 6:36 pm

Willem, yup, it's vertical. I didn't think the rules were that clear. I didn't even know what they were talking about. It's one of those things that you just start playing and see what happens.

You have the arrows down pat, you can put a card at either end of a row and it moves the row in the direction of the arrow on which you placed a card.

Lining up three of any card (twos, threes, kings) will have them removed from the playing field and you get points.

You can then place cards from the stock (the bottom bunch of cards in which the top one is visible and useable/playable) in any of those blank/open spots or again use the arrow on either side of the playing field.

If there is more than one of the same cards in a row (horizontal), and one is on the edge, so that it is: 2 A 8 9 2 J and you add a card, an Ace, to the right side, it will push the 2 off the field, BUT it is recycled into the stock at the bottom. Now your lineup look like this: A 8 9 2 J A

Now, whatever card you get next, you could add to either end, pushing one of the Aces off, and either way, that Ace is recycled too.

I do a lot of recycling of cards in the beginning, to get an idea where all the card ARE. I don't want to give up cards too early in the game.

Then there's the scoring, so that you'd want to set up groups of three in numerical order so that your group of Aces (low) are the first ones off. And your group of Kings are the last ones off.

That's not something I strive for, but it makes the game even more challenging if someone gets really good at setting up the groups of three.

You can kind of "cheat" a bit, and keep hitting "Replay" to bring up a new arrangement of cards, until you get one layout that has a horizontal group of three already there and they will be removed immediately. That will give you more space to play around with so you don't lose as many cards.

You can lose one of each of the ranks, and once the rank group is removed, that last card is "dead". It's only good for moving things around, and if you have a choice and HAVE to lose a card, that's the one(s) to bump off.

Have I made it more confusing? Or better? If one tip helps the most, it's probably the one to keep hitting Replay until you have a pre-made set that comes off the field right away.

sunnycat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 7:46 pm

It's fun...I love solitaires...:)

TRUE
Toucan
Toucan

25 Apr 2007, 11:43 pm

SunnyCat: Good! I'm glad you like it. I like solitaire games too. And that one is so unusual, that I wanted to pass it on.

It's not "winning", it's scoring. I suppose the only "win" that is possible with that game would be to make the 13 sets of cards in order from Ace to King. And that would yield the maximum score.

Otherwise, it's just playing to play and see what happens via chance, and work with that chance by using some skill (which also depends on chance).

I also like the "rewards". It will say "Done" if you score below 300. It will say "Well Done" if you score better. And it will say "Great" if scores are higher. And there is a round of applause too.

I'm easy. Just a verbal reward and a round of applause encourages me to try again.

willem
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 9:55 pm

Thanks for that, True! This is a very nice way to relax. I had about 470 points on my 2nd try, which is not so bad. How do you make it so that you save the "well paying" cards (10's thru Kings) for later, so that they pay more, without risking you'll be finished before you ever got them lined up?

TRUE
Toucan
Toucan

27 Apr 2007, 12:05 am

Willem: I'm not really sure. If I HAVE to lose a card, I lose the lowest one possible.

Secondly, you KNOW you'll lose one of EVERY card, so don't fret if you have to lose a high card.

If you CAN, push off the high card on one end with another one of it's rank. It will go back into your pile to be used again.

I haven't even been pushing on getting them in numerical order. My high score game (684) had the following groups in this order:
A
J
Q
2 and K

You CAN get more than one group of three off at a time. I've had three groups of three that came off at the same time.

By the way, sometimes it doesn't take off a group of three. If that happens to you, just click on the UNDO link, and redo your move. Several times if necessary to get it to remove your group. It may vary by browser.

I like the way the letters form other words at the beginning. I have never been good at unscrambling words. Or making new ones. It's like the beginning of Boogaloopers. Anyone else ever played that game? It's by Stickman Games. The letters in that game at the beginning move around.

Oh, and for people that like those letter jumbles and making new words from old ones, here's a neat site:
http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 12:33 am

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 12:33 am