Should I choose history?
Yes 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
No 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 7

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

10 Apr 2016, 1:06 pm

Hi. I am trying to find out what I should study. One of my choices is history. I wonder if I should choose history at the university. I like history and I remember things easily. The problem is that my interests in that subject is slightly limited, not a lot, but a little... I also need the teachers to be a little specific about what's coming on the test, but I'm not sure if It's that or if I just have to work harder. I'm also worried about not being able to get a job. Should I choose history or not?

Thank you for answering.

Pergerlady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2016, 2:44 pm

Personally, I wouldn't, at least not as a major, especially if you only want one degree. There are very few practical jobs in the market where a history degree would come in handy, unless you want to be a history teacher, and even then I'm pretty sure you would also need a teaching certificate. I am also in a situation where the one thing that I really want to do (to be a writer) is probably not going to be enough to pay the bills and keep me alive,so, although I intend to study creative writing and publish some literature, I'm first planning to join the Vet Tech program at my local community college and earn an Associate's in Science there (I'm into animals and medicine.) You can minor in history, or study it after you pursue a more practical degree in another area of interest for you.

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

10 Apr 2016, 3:06 pm

Thank you very much. I am seeing that there are less pros than cons. Studying something practical first sounds the best. Hope it goes well.

AspieChef
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Apr 2016, 3:11 pm

Yes, if you enjoy history and find it rewarding. The trick is to combine it with something else that's related and marketable. For instance, look into historic preservation or library archiving. Both have job opportunities that pay well and are often in the state or federal job arenas. Don't be discouraged!

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 4:12 pm

If you study history at college the professor's will just give you a list of books to buy and read, some professors have their book lists online , just buying a bunch of history books and not attending college will save you tens of thousands of dollars.

A degree in I.t. or engineering is going to actually make you some money to pay off those student loans.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 4:24 pm

Yeah, I concur with most posters here: do history in your spare time as a "special interest", but choose something more marketable for your actual degree.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 4:28 pm

History is a very good subject to study, whether you choose it as a formal major or not. As others have said, it's important to make a practical as well as an intellectual choice. If there are applied subjects that you also like, and that would be good job preparation, you can major in one of those and take lots of history electives. Alternatively, history is a very good background for a career in law, so if you've ever thought of being a lawyer then history can be a very "practical" major.

There Are Four Lights!

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 4:57 pm

If you are not very passionate about history, you shouldn't choose history, as job prospects are horrible for history graduates, and you should only go into it if you love it and are very good at it.

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 8:15 pm

The important thing to consider is what discipline you are most interested in. If that happens to the historical discipline, then be welcome to attempt it. I myself am a history major and do well in the subject. Though for you, you would decide whether or not it may work for you.
Having a somewhat limited range of history is not necessarily something that can prevent you from it. The historical discipline, especially as you move to latter years tends to open up more to focus on subareas of specialty within the discipline.
In regards to teacher and testing, you should consult what ever academic services your university may have. Furthermore, if you are interested in history, you could try to arrange a meeting with one of the history professors to get more information on the possibility.
Also, the possibilities of a history degree are not just limited to the possibility of being a history teacher. In case you may be worried about job options. The skills which are involved with history (researching, writing, critical thinking, and argumentation) are skills which can be useful and marketable to many types of jobs, so long as you know how to market them. Many who take undergraduate history degrees go on to law school.