Free Speech on Trial: What Message Is Being Sent?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2016, 1:32 pm

Quote:
Free Speech on Trial: What Message Is Being Sent?

• This miscarriage of justice being orchestrated against Geert Wilders is merely one aspect of the many prosecutions being carried out under laws less about prevention and punishment of actual crimes, and more about criminalizing dissent against the demographic transformation of Europe.
  • After terror outrages in the name of Islam, its apologists perform defensive operations that try to render Islamic doctrine immune from scrutiny.
  • The eagerness with which social media giants, such as Facebook and Twitter, have imposed a policy of enforced silence -- in concert with Europe's leaders -- is a further irony that will not be lost on future historians.
  • If the criminal justice systems of European nations continue to pursue charges against whoever questions or criticizes Islam, what hope is there then for the silent members of the Muslim community who might wish to speak out?

The spread of jihad is irreparably undermining Europe's post-War reputation as a continent of security and peace.

In addition, free speech seems increasingly regarded by mainstream politicians as dangerous and archaic. Diversity of opinion often appears seen as an obstacle to multiculturalism, the objective of which, ironically, is diversity.

These dual trends are set to come to a head in the Netherlands next year, in elections set to follow the conclusion of the trial of Dutch MP Geert Wilders this November. Wilders is the leader the Netherlands' Party for Freedom (Partij voor de Vrijheid, or PVV), which currently tops the country's polls. He faces imprisonment on a charge of hate speech, for saying that the Netherlands could use "fewer Moroccans."

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2016, 10:30 pm

There is no such thing as Hate Speech. There is speech I love and speech I hate but that is just opinion. The only speech or publication that should be restricted is incitement to riot, form a lynch mob, foment panic and disorder or constructive conspiracy to commit a felony. Opinions, and petitions for redress of grievance should never be restricted.

If one wishes to be nasty, hateful and insensitive, that one must be be free to do so, and suffer the social and economic consequences of doing so.

I am proud to be 'Merkin. We 'Merkins do not have to give a flying f**k about hurting other people's feelings. If the sensitive folks don't like it, let them grow thicker skin.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2016, 11:01 pm

BaalChatzaf wrote:
There is no such thing as Hate Speech. There is speech I love and speech I hate but that is just opinion. The only speech or publication that should be restricted is incitement to riot, form a lynch mob, foment panic and disorder or constructive conspiracy to commit a felony. Opinions, and petitions for redress of grievance should never be restricted.

How about slander?

Now the funny thing is that Wilders was actually cleared of charges in the previous trial. And the state prosecutor did not want to charge him to begin with.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 12:13 am

BaalChatzaf wrote:
There is no such thing as Hate Speech. There is speech I love and speech I hate but that is just opinion. The only speech or publication that should be restricted is incitement to riot, form a lynch mob, foment panic and disorder or constructive conspiracy to commit a felony. Opinions, and petitions for redress of grievance should never be restricted. If one wishes to be nasty, hateful and insensitive, that one must be be free to do so, and suffer the social and economic consequences of doing so. I am proud to be 'Merkin. We 'Merkins do not have to give a flying f**k about hurting other people's feelings. If the sensitive folks don't like it, let them grow thicker skin.

Amen. :!: One of the most odious notions that's been gaining traction is that people shouldn't be allowed to criticize other people's religion. (In practice, what this means is you shouldn't be allowed to criticize Islam.) In fact, freedom to criticize religion is as vital as freedom to criticize politics.

There Are Four Lights!

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2016, 12:37 pm

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2016, 12:46 pm

"Political Correctness" means not saying anything that could upset anyone else. Even pointing out the erroneous data and flawed reasoning of a false authority figure can incite the "PC Police" into action.

"Hate Speech" and "Hate Crimes" are misnomers. They are used to identify and criminalize a person's thoughts and opinions regarding a different culture, gender, religion, or skin color - a clear application of the concept of "Thought Police".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.