Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 1:34 am

Thanks to Wikipedia, I know of a few "degrees of separation" games:

Bacon number (defined for those who, like Kevin Bacon, have worked in the TV or film industries)
Erdős number (collaborations on academic papers with Paul Erdős)
Morphy Number (connections via chess games to Paul Morphy)
Sabbath number (connecting musicians to the band Black Sabbath)
Shusaku number (equivalence in the Go-playing community, with Honinbo Shusaku)

What do you people think of these so-called "separation numbers"? Can anyone else think of other ways people can be connected?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 3:32 am

i read on 4chan about connecting back to a stupidly high ranked steam user. dunno what the name was.

i was with my father opening a new bank account on tuesday, the banker knew my cousin, his ex and my dads coworker.

a small world indeed.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 11:56 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
i read on 4chan about connecting back to a stupidly high ranked steam user. dunno what the name was.

^I think that's the PalmDesert Test.

Also, other "collaboration distances" include...
Chomsky number (named after Noam Chomsky; it's like the Erdős number, but with linguistics instead of math)
Einstein number (named after Albert Einstein; it's like the Erdős number, but with physics instead of math)
Sillinger number (named after Mike Sillinger; it's like the Morphy number, but with hockey instead of chess)
Stiglitz number (named after Joseph Stiglitz; it's like the Erdős number, but with economics instead of math)
Vanderbilt number (named after Harold Vanderbilt; it's like the Morphy number, but with contract bridge instead of chess)