Do/did people believe that you are mentaly ret*d?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2016, 6:24 am

In middle school although I had some special abilities my classmates believed that I was mentaly ret*d my english teacher said that I should go in special school and when I suceed in national exams some of them surprised does anyone have similar experience?

DayvanCowboy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Apr 2016, 6:39 am

When people assume I'm as such, I prove them wrong by burning them with scathing personal insults. You should see their smug faces drop. That's what lifes about ;)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 6:47 am

Yep...that happened to me...all the time.

I do like proving people wrong :D

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 6:58 am

Your old teacher is a prick, nuff said. Than again you prove em wrong, and they'll all shut their mouths at the end of the day.

spinelli
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2016, 8:23 am

Yes, in school. It sucked.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 8:54 am

Sometimes people can think that about me. When my speech deteriorates which is does when I am really stressed, or when I am in child mode. My emotional capacity is between 4 and 10 to 12 at the most and my mental capacity is about 14 even though my IQ is high and my intelligence corresponds to my chronological age. So when people see when all my walls are down, in my true authentic self, it's dominated by the emotional part of me so they see me understanding, processing and perceiving like a very young child and my speech and actions become very childlike as well. So people who might only see in that mode can very easily think that I am mentally ret*d. I don't mind though because I am emotionally ret*d. And most people who have ever seen the child mode know me well enough to know that I am intellectually not ret*d at all. I have nothing at all against people who are intellectually challenged but in my case, the retardation is emotional and mental in a way because of my diminished mental capacity.

Wreck It Ralph

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 9:08 am

My parents were told I'd be "challenged for life" when I was in nursery. I actually have a very high IQ and I am in university now. The nursery staff only saw my behaviours and my developmental delay, and not my abilities.

spinelli
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2016, 9:09 am

I probably would think you are a genuinely kind person and I think I'd be right. You seem good at accepting people as they are .

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 11:16 am

Yes they did.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2016, 1:09 pm

It's rarely stated outright, but some people have talked to me as if they thought I was.

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2016, 2:20 pm

Grahzmann wrote:
It's rarely stated outright, but some people have talked to me as if they thought I was.

Me too but some children takled this outright

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 7:33 pm

When I was in third grade, my teacher had me tested for the gifted program and I tested as mentally ret*d. Then again, autistic people don't do well on IQ tests. In middle school, kids called me a ret*d because of my voice. People that haven't really taken the time to get to know me think I'm ret*d. They end up shocked when they find out that I'm an honors student at a four year university.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Apr 2016, 7:41 pm

People thought I was a genius but when I failed to do something they'd blame me for laziness. I'm actually a combination of genius and ret*d. The thing is to disconnect from people's expectations.

Brittniejoy1983
Toucan
Toucan

29 Apr 2016, 12:17 am

People were just always disappointed in me because I test well, and my IQ was early determined to be high.

But then I almost failed high school, and dropped out of my first go around at college.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 Apr 2016, 12:40 am

Brittniejoy1983 wrote:
People were just always disappointed in me because I test well, and my IQ was early determined to be high.

But then I almost failed high school, and dropped out of my first go around at college.

Pretty much exactly the same, even dropped out of college first time too.

Both my younger brothers who are very close to me in age were leaning disabled(one could be described as mentally ret*d according to his IQ) so there was always a big contrast with me altho they did apparently want me to repeat 1st grade because they didn't think I could read but I was reading like Harry Potter the next year so shows how much they know. My mom just says I turned it on like a switch, honestly I don't remember even learning how to read or ever struggling with it ever and I started reading books because the books interested me. It's kind of sad I probably read more books as a child than I do now, but I spend all day reading on the internet!! Just not the same I guess.

I dominated those state tests, the school must of loved me since I pretty much aced them as a kid but I essentially dropped out of high school with no credits in my second year as a freshman when I stopped going but the school district "accommodated" by sending a teacher to my house twice a week which apparently was cheaper for them than paying to send me to the specialized school my therapist wanted me to go to. I graduated high school on time that way, I did probably like 1/10th the work everyone else did to graduate. Education in America everyone!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 1:23 am

All the time.
Overheard:
"Whats' wrong with that kid?"
"I think he's ret*d"
I honestly don't blame them in my case.
Of course, it's not always like that.
Sometimes I will overhear something more like "Look at the ret*d lol".

I have always been in special school for kids like me, so I never have had to deal with it there thankfully.