No one will hire. Completely unemployable?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

KusanagiShiro
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 May 2016, 2:33 pm

I can't even find a job anymore. Last year I was fired as a courtesy clerk at Safeway due to the manager calling my rigid belief of "no man should ever enter a ladies' restroom. If he does he's a pervert" as "absolute insubordination." I was always taught to obey every social rule and could not reconcile it.

Situation went like this: I was asked by manager to clean women's room. My train of thought was I would be a pervert or sex offender because I was always taught from 1yr old women and men must never go in the other restroom other than their gender.

Now I rigidly obey EVERY rule no matter whose it is. If the rules conflict I freeze completely and cannot execute any action due to breaking one rule following another and being unable to reconcile the conflict.

Manager cited that as specific and deliberate insubordination. My freezing and being unable to see gray area is apparently being insubordinate.

Back to the present: I live in affluent Marin County and am rather poor. I have applied to all major chains here. No one is even interested.

Applied to: Best Buy, Toys R Us, Nordstrom, Macy's, TJ Maxx, Kohl's, Sears, Cinemark Theatres, Applebee's, BJ's Brewhouse, Taco Bell, KFC, Costco, Starbucks, CVS, Michael's, Walgreen's, Lucky Supermarkets, Grocery Outlet, 7-Eleven, Peet's Coffee, Subway, GameStop, Chipotle (was already let go from one location), Rite-Aid, Target, Panda Express, A&W, Home Depot, Sprouts, Whole Foods, Shell, Chevron, Valero, 76, Burger King, Round Table Pizza, AT&T, Apple, Microsoft, Verizon, Metro PCS, T-Mobile, Gap, and McDonald's.

All have either ignored my application, or given me one interview then sent a generic rejection mail.

Add to that the fact I can't drive (lazy eye in left eye as baby, corrected still falls below legal limit), and transportation here is not reliable for out of county jobs (I.e. Nearest Walmart is either across the bay OR 30 miles north), and I face a severe dilemma.

Since out of county commute is not an option, I ask this: Has my firing from Safeway led to me being blackballed from all retail or food service, which are literally the only two industries I Can apply to due to my lack of job experience?

KusanagiShiro
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 May 2016, 10:08 pm

I will take the lack of reply as a yes. Topic closed...

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2016, 10:23 pm

I hope you weren't blackballed, I don't think it's possible to lock someone out of that many different companies....or is it?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2016, 11:21 pm

There is no central retail hub for informa5ion on employees. Just don't mention the place you were fired from on subsequent applications.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

lordfakename
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 May 2016, 1:36 pm

Have you looked at jobs outside of retail? It often seems like complete luck whether one gets a job in a chain. If you are stuck on rule-following maybe working in a non-customer-facing position would be better for you.

Also, perhaps you can add a caveat to the rule: "You can enter the women's bathroom when you are working and have a legitimate job-related reason to go in"

el_punto
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 May 2016, 7:34 pm

I don't know what the laws are like in the US, but here in the UK I don't believe so for msot industries. Employers here legally aren't allowed to disclose why you left the job, only the day you left and whether they'd hire you again.

As for your area, I'm not too sure what to suggest. Your manager sounds rather ignorant of your autism, so going back there probably won't be a good idea. A different sector of work could be considered though, or maybe going to adult education to gain more qualifications? Of course, that's only if you want to/can handle it. You know your circumstances best.

I hope it works out for you ^^

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 9:49 pm

Legally, employees can only give start date, and termination date in the United States.

However, that doesn't mean that if the potential employer can't und out by other means. Just something as simple as a credit check can cause a prospective employer to not hire you. Ditto for a criminal background check.

KusanagiShiro
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2016, 3:29 pm

I've tried applying to temp jobs. They say to me that I'm not qualified enough.

Also I have no credit. I've never had a loan, a credit card, a debit card or an ATM card. Ever.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2016, 4:37 pm

KusanagiShiro wrote:
I've tried applying to temp jobs. They say to me that I'm not qualified enough.

Also I have no credit. I've never had a loan, a credit card, a debit card or an ATM card. Ever.

Have you tried using California Vicational Rehab., or are they as useless as PA Vocational Rehab?

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2016, 4:49 pm

Sometimes you are forced to create/invent your own job in an economy where the financial-system has collapsed. Even over in some country in Europe, recently, only 500 people got hired out of over 178000 job-seekers. Put down your qualifications here or post something to us that looks like a résumé so we can see what you have been putting onto your applications and also relay to us how you have been answering your interview-questions (I assume that you should be able to remember at least a majority of what those questions are what with your amount of experience receiving rejection-letters). Only asking you to do this as it may give us a better clue as to what types of jobs might better for you to pursue.