language delay vs language impairment?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2016, 2:30 pm

whats the difference?

does language impairment basically mean a learning disability?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2016, 2:54 pm

Good question. I had both but apparently they are both not the same. I think a language delay is something that is only briefly in the child's life. They take longer to speak but then they have normal language development after that but just talked a little late while mine lasted for years until about 6th grade. Just my guess about the two.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2016, 2:59 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Good question. I had both but apparently they are both not the same. I think a language delay is something that is only briefly in the child's life. They take longer to speak but then they have normal language development after that but just talked a little late while mine lasted for years until about 6th grade. Just my guess about the two.

im guessing im dyslexic then.

dyslexic is a type of language impairment right?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2016, 4:25 pm

Dyslexia is an impairment in the ability to understand WRITTEN language, for the most part.

Most people with dyslexia are neither language-delayed, nor (spoken) language impaired.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2016, 7:33 pm

Language delay, means that it takes a kid with autism a lot longer time to develop language skills.
I did not not know how to talk until I was 8 and did not know how to read until I was 10.

Language impairment means someone knows how to talk and or read, but can't or has a hard time with it.
Since I have dyslexia, I am a very slow reader and I also type slowly, otherwise letters get jumbled
Also because I have dyspraxia (a coordination problem) I have trouble moving my mouth the right way to talk properly.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2016, 2:07 am

I for one have a bit of language impairment but not any language delay. I learned to speak at a normal time but I did have a few speech problems (that have since been resolved) and I have to think longer and harder then most people about what to say.

In a nutshell, language delay is learning to speak later then normal kids and language impairment is being intrinsically worse at speaking and writing then normal people.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

sweeToxic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 May 2016, 9:07 am

That's a good question. I had language delays when I was younger, but I took speech therapy. I still have some minor issues with language, but they are barely noticeable. Most of my problems are due to a lack of verbal expression. I do have some signs of learning disabilities as well. I think it can be considered a learning disability if it's ongoing. If it's something that's gone away overtime, I would think it'd be considered a delay... but that's just my opinion. *shrug*

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2016, 9:57 am

I had a severe language delay.

However, once I learned to speak, I only had mild speech impairments. I cluttered and stuttered (still do, sometimes). I have trouble making certain sounds. When I'm rushed, I speak in simplified grammar, making me seem impaired.