Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2005, 2:19 am

It's one of those things you can't help but watch each year. After all it's only once a year. To see cars run around a track at 200+ mph is something to behold, even if it is borning 99.98% of the time.

Although indy has sucked after the IRL split and all the big names are no longer their.

My mind can be very eidetic about things. Indy 500 is one of them.

1987 - Al Unser wins his fourth indy 500. I don't remember much about the race except I watched it on TV.

1989 - Late in the race I was rooting for Al Unser Jr. He was in a dead heat with Emmerson Fitipaldi, But Al Unser Jr was running out of fuel and the announcers were wondering if he could make it. On the second to last lap going into turn three, the two touched wheels and Unser went into the wall and fitipaldi went on to win. I was PISSED!

1990 - Arie Luyendyk wins the fastest Indy of record. It was also horribly hot out for late may. I spent the afternoon with parents at some kind of party at the local chiefs clubhouse. Another kid was bugging me to do something with him and I was using the race as an excuse not to. Finally my parents yelled at me to go keep the kid company.

1991 - Rick Mears wins his fourth Indy. I watched the race from the comfort of home. The weather was stormy that afternoon. The TV ran a weather crawl about bad storms moving in. I took a respit from the race to watch the storms moving in and pass over the house. Later after the race I tried to make an oriole feeder, but couldn't becasue I simply couldn't manage the simple task of pounding a nail into a board.

1992 - Al Unser Jr wins in a photo finish. It was cold out that year and made for a crash-filled race as tires had trouble sticking to the asphalt

1993 - Emerson Fitipaldi wins his second and upsets indy purists by taking a swig or orange juice instead of the traditional swig of milk. It was rainy out and I was in my room listening to the race on the radio while I trying to catch up on a semesters worth of english home work. (I ended up failing that class anyways)

1994 - Al Unser Jr wins his second. First year with out turbo chargers

1995 - Scott Goodyear get's black flaged for blowing by the pace car on a restart and ends up loosing the race. Bad crash right at the start.

1996 - Buddy Lazier wins it. Bad crash right at the finish. It happened in front of a track side camera ABC had set up and the footage from that is used often in the open of "wide world of sports".

1997- The race is delayed a few days due to bad weather. I ended up watching the end of the race in my sixth hour electronics class. Scott Goodyear has a radio problem and looses again becasue this time he missed a restart.

You get the idea.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2005, 4:46 am

I don't have any trouble missing it because it's not NASCAR! :P
NHRA drag racing is cool too because it's the ultimate ADD motorsport.

monastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2005, 8:22 am

Scoots5012,

It's nice to hear that others get as excited about the Indy 500 as we do here in Indiana :)

Scoots, you have just got to make it to an Indy 500 race or at least for a Qualification Day - it is an experience like no other.

The Brickyard 400 is another event that is fast becoming as exciting as the 500 and of course, all of Indiana is as enthusiastic.

Of course, Indiana Basketball will always be my passion. This year though, the two will (somewhat) merge as Reggie Miller will be the one to wave the Green Flag for the Race to begin! How kewl is that?!

Gentlemen (...and Woman) Start Your Engines!! !

dragon2fire
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 May 2005, 8:31 am

amen monastic

you know i dont watch a sinlge other indy car race but man the 500 is awsome ...i am form indiana aswell :) and one last time seeing reggie that will be great wish i could be down there just for that.

monastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2005, 11:22 am

dragon2fire, do you not live in Indiana anymore?

I think I will always live here. I would miss the Fall in Indiana not to mention the covered bridges which presently, we now have one less of because of a lousy arsonist :x :evil: :( (sigh)

But, back to the original post....

The 500 Race! Zoom, Zoom, Zoom!

dragon2fire
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 May 2005, 8:27 pm

i still live here...but i am way up in fort wayne and transportation is a big issue as is money.

pizzaboss
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2005, 6:06 pm

I enjoy watching the Indy 500 on TV.