Yes 82%  82%  [ 50 ]
I researched but it wasn't obsessive. 15%  15%  [ 9 ]
No 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 61

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2016, 8:56 pm

After being diagnosed, as much as I hate to admit it I became pretty obsessed with autism and the disorder, almost as much as sonic. So I wanna know, diagnosed or not. When you heard of autism did you become sort of obsessed, like researching for hours on end, watching every documentary you can, talking to other people about it, etc.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2016, 8:58 pm

I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with autism, but it's definitely one of my main special interests. I want to read every book on autism I can get my hands on.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2016, 8:59 pm

Yup. I researched it obsessively and made all sorts of charts and graphs and calculations about it. Then I saved it all to my phone so that I could reread it over and over when bored.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2016, 9:02 pm

My own research about autism and myself over 19 months caused my diagnosticians to offer a refund of a part of my fee because I had "done so much of the work" for them, and quite accurately. Hehe! So, obsessing about autism is sometimes more than just an interest.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2016, 9:25 pm

I was nearly obsessed with autism, but it is a restrictive interest of mine. For whatever reason, it keeps going through my mind wondering (possibly un-importantly) how severely I'm affected.

Last edited by Lumi on 22 May 2016, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cgblittlezero
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 May 2016, 9:27 pm

I definitely am.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
AQ:42
Alexithymia Quiz = 144 (High)
PDD Assesment = 155 (Severe PDD)

alk123

22 May 2016, 9:29 pm

Most recently yes. Realizing I'm an adult, but mentally feel much younger, has motivated me to research the subject extensively.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2016, 9:45 pm

I've kind of been obsessed with autism on and off for about 8 years. I would think about the different symptoms of autism and how they affect people. I sometimes look for those symptoms in other people and I also think it's interesting to look up different famous people that are diagnosed with autism or might possibly have it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2016, 10:17 pm

I became obsessed with autism soon after I found out that I'm on the spectrum three days after my 15th birthday. I still am. I've also fallen in love with a few characters that show autistic mindsets.

GreenPandaLord
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 May 2016, 10:32 pm

Yes I am definitely obsessed with Autism.

Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2016, 11:20 pm

Yes, which is what brought me here.

Wewnaw

23 May 2016, 12:23 am

Yes, for many months it's all I could think about. I've read dozens of books, websites, blogs, forums and made notes. This is by far the best forum I've come across and the only one I've joined.

RAADS-R score: 189.0
Seeking diagnosis

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 12:47 am

Yeah, I'm definitely obsessed with autism. I have been obsessing over it since about February, before that I hardly knew anything about it and I was largely in denial that I was that different.

Then again, this isn't exactly the most unbiased group to ask. When I told my autistic friend about my obsession with autism he thought it was quite strange that I would be obsessing over that of all things.

It has been a useful obsession to me for a number of reasons. Of course I am learning more about my condition and how it effects me is useful, but also when I get really anxious my autistic behavior starts showing through more and lately I have been analyzing that and since it's an obsession of mine it makes me more calm.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

23 May 2016, 5:06 am

I am very interested in learning more about my autism and how it affects other people as well. I often find myself reading blogs written by parents of autistic children, and watching autism documentaries.
I'm particularly interested in how other girls are affected because I'm a girl and I would like to know how other girls are affected in comparison to boys, and how come girls are diagnosed less; whether it's because their symptoms are more subtle or it actually does occur less often.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 5:37 am

I would say it's an interest of mine, but not an obsession.

I wish it was an obsession; then I would have been more inclined to seek a Master's in something pertaining to research.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 6:26 am

I definitely did when I first realised that I thought I had it.

That was useful - it helped me to find out more about why I thought I did, to look into the reasons why I might not, to build up a folder that I ended up taking with me when I asked for a diagnosis, to learn more about myself, to find out how I could improve things for myself.

I obsessed about it for months. Read everything I could get my hands on, watched documentaries and TV shows about it, was constantly doing tests and browsing every thread on relevant forums to gain a better understanding.

It's now been a month since I went to the GP to ask for a diagnosis, and I've definitely calmed from 'obsession' to 'interest'. I feel like if I keep obsessing, the wait to hear about my next step will be torture. I also feel that I've gone through a lot of the 'less dramatic' things that I could be reading or viewing, and what's left is the more extreme representations of autism. If I view enough of those, I might once again start to convince myself that I'm not autistic because I'm 'not like them', and that could be harmful by making me stop seeking a diagnosis or convincing myself that I've been wrong.