What things negatively remind you of your past?

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

aja675
Toucan
Toucan

28 May 2016, 10:52 am

Could you give any?

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2016, 11:16 am

Photos - I have actually gone through the photos of relatives and incrementally and systematically removed every photo of me above the age of about ten. I refuse to have any more photos taken of me.
Personal possessions - gradually destroyed everything I had from the past, from books and CDs to clothing and furniture.
Contacts - I only have five people in my life who even knew me before four years ago. No contact with anyone before that time.
Résumé - I am angling to retrain and never have to use my résumé again, as I do not want to be connected with any of the jobs, studies, or anything that ties me to who I tried to be, and gives people the wrong impression of what I am now.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2016, 1:46 pm

The verbal abuse someone in my family has given me from January until the end of last month. Anything fashion trends that remind me of the late 80s and very early 90s.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2016, 5:02 pm

Anything that reminds me of the city of Springville and the short time I spent living there. That was easily the worst few months of my life. This includes things like the TV show Futurama which I watched during that time, when I have to remember my drivers ed class which I took during that time, any songs I heard a lot during that time, and even some of the things that I learned in school during that time like how electron clouds work.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

aja675
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jun 2016, 2:11 am

I find that stereotypically low-class things remind me negatively of my past because they remind me of the people who made fun of me. (Strangely enough, they weren't poor, they were rich although they acted really ratchet.)

thewheel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jun 2016, 5:19 am

Tbh pretty much anything can trigger reliving a bad event in the past for me. It could be a simple object, a person, a particular set of events, but if it had some small association to the past event then back I go. For instance a business-style telephone will transport me back to one of my first jobs, one that was on the phone and as you can imagine was really sh***y.

Every day is full of stuff like that for me.

Mustangboss429
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jun 2016, 3:31 am

There's a few things but generally I don't like to think about the past too much. I prefer to focus on the future.

INTPnarwhal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jun 2016, 12:02 pm

Every time I see my younger sister at home. We still live together but don't talk anymore. She's a pathological narcissist who psychologically abised me for years.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 9:22 pm

Mustangboss429 wrote:
There's a few things but generally I don't like to think about the past too much. I prefer to focus on the future.

I agree.
Basically anything from before college. I changed SO MUCH and have a super hard time remembering anything but pain and unhappiness from before I turned 20.
I get anxious about going back to my home town (avoid it like the plague). I have slowly destroyed or am destroying/trashing all my photos/clothes/diaries/etc. from my childhood. Each time I do so- I feel a bit free-er and feel more agency in my life. It is very healing. The other day I tossed my HS yearbook- it was great. Don't miss it and don't care about all the signatures and such- it was all BS and I don't talk to anyone from that time anyway :mrgreen:
I was convinced I would miss the stuff... or even just think about it.... but I haven't cared at all! kind of interesting for me. :)

SpaceAgeBushRanger
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jun 2016, 7:18 am

Schools, Catholicism, anything to do with my manic episode.

Mustangboss429
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jun 2016, 8:13 am

Unfortunate_Aspie_ wrote:
Mustangboss429 wrote:

I agree.
Basically anything from before college. I changed SO MUCH and have a super hard time remembering anything but pain and unhappiness from before I turned 20.
I get anxious about going back to my home town (avoid it like the plague). I have slowly destroyed or am destroying/trashing all my photos/clothes/diaries/etc. from my childhood. Each time I do so- I feel a bit free-er and feel more agency in my life. It is very healing. The other day I tossed my HS yearbook- it was great. Don't miss it and don't care about all the signatures and such- it was all BS and I don't talk to anyone from that time anyway :mrgreen:
I was convinced I would miss the stuff... or even just think about it.... but I haven't cared at all! kind of interesting for me. :)

Yeah, here's the thing, no matter how much you dwell on the past you can't change it. Its better for sure to just forget about it and get rid of any reminders. You can make your life better if you concentrate on the future because you have the power to change it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 8:32 am

If somebody says "stop being defensive," it reminds me of bullies from my past."

"Stop being defensive"=your argument is totally invalid, no matter what evidence validates your argument.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 9:07 am

Right. I know that one.

germanium
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jun 2016, 8:43 am

Learning how to do math that I find difficult due to having been severely beaten when I made math mistakes at my foster home. I relive that emotionally whenever I try to do any of the more difficult math than very basic algebra which I learned in 8 th grade while in special classes. I did well there but in ninth grade algebra class while in regular classes I had some difficulty & was beaten when I got the wrong answer.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 9:08 am

Beaten for math mistakes!! !? Wow, it sounds like my poor granny around 1900!

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 9:09 am

I developed PTSD due to various events in my past so a LOT lol but I am also thankful as the person I am growing into from the darkness and sharp edges is ten times what I would've been if I had not had such a wilderness to unravel! A lot of colourful memories mixed in with bleak stretches, it just means I appreciate the path I am following a lot more and hope to fill however long I have left with a more meaningful and lighter substance of existence! University is a pretty bad topic for me cause my own foray into it went to crap but I try to be happy for other folk who have better experiences, it is hard for me to be reminded of it though, it was my ticket out and opportunity to discover myself, I guess I did but about fifteen years worth of self-analyzing and maturing rolled into a short time period is quite intense!