Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2016, 4:58 pm

There is a brewing constitutional crisis in Louisiana as criminal defendants sit in jail, often for longer than the offenses they are accused of would send them to jail for, because the state and local governments refuse to adequately fund public defense:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... ve/485165/

Mongoose1
Raven
Raven

05 Jun 2016, 3:20 pm

beneficii wrote:
There is a brewing constitutional crisis in Louisiana as criminal defendants sit in jail, often for longer than the offenses they are accused of would send them to jail for, because the state and local governments refuse to adequately fund public defense:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... ve/485165/

It's not just Louisiana - it's all states. Problem is, where are you going to get the money? The government is fleecing everyone as much as they can - rich and poor alike. If you don't want to do the time, don't do the crime.

yourkiddingme3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2016, 3:47 pm

What about the people who didn't "do the crime?" Did you think that all people arrested are guilty?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 7:00 pm

yourkiddingme3 wrote:
What about the people who didn't "do the crime?" Did you think that all people arrested are guilty?

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 10:40 am

I don't understand how we supposedly have a right to a speedy trial in the US. What does that even mean? Even without this funding problem, trials are hardly speedy.

That said, even if you concede the right to a speedy trial, I'm not sure that constitutional right would automatically include having your trial paid for. Doesn't that come from outside the constitution?

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 10:53 am

The whole entire so-called Legal-System is actually a Scam... a complete & total Fraudulent-Scheme.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 2:30 pm

DataB4 wrote:
I don't understand how we supposedly have a right to a speedy trial in the US. What does that even mean? Even without this funding problem, trials are hardly speedy.

That said, even if you concede the right to a speedy trial, I'm not sure that constitutional right would automatically include having your trial paid for. Doesn't that come from outside the constitution?

This should clear it up for you, the 6th amendment to the U.S. constitution:

Quote:
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

You're welcome.

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 4:09 pm

But that right is only for Criminal Court.

Civil court which encompasses Family Law and Tort... can and does ignore due process (ex parte), ignores right to have jury of peers, stay in the state with jurisdiction over your personal being (where you reside) or have counsel assistance.
Bench warrants usually traffic, family court or Contempt of Court can arrest you with no recourse, pre warning or validity.

And this is citizens!

Non citizens are legally with much less rights except by certain international treatise.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2016, 11:07 am

Thank you, Beneficii and GingerPickles. It's all sounding familiar..

I still have no idea what the amendment means by speedy, as due process today is likely even less speedy than in the old days. I'm thinking that's purposely ambiguous.

Acknowledging the write to an attorney, I wonder when the government started providing those services and how often they make determinations of who needs the public defenders and who does not. From what I understand, the public defenders aren't open to people making above a certain income threshold.