What professions do you wish you can do but can't?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 4:50 pm

Is there any professions that you wish you could do but can't because it's just not realistic, you don't have the required skills or just other reasons?

One of the things I wish I could do is work in broadcasting/voice-over work, but seeing my skill set and other stuff right now, that's just unrealistic.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 5:10 pm

Starship Captain.

Seriously, I wanted to be an astronaut, but medical and family issues crushed that dream.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jun 2016, 5:31 pm

Fnord wrote:
Starship Captain.

Seriously, I wanted to be an astronaut, but medical and family issues crushed that dream.

Yeah, my dream too! NASA hasn't replied to my job application yet. I take it that they are preparing a special space program just for me.

Seriously though, I wish I could have becomed a programmer, web designer or IT professional of some sort. It all went wrong when it turned out I couldn't do math in school. When I went to college, I chose library and information science, which has led me in a different direction - but there is IT in my job none the less, so it's cool :)

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 5:34 pm

Music or play therapist.

I use both as tools but if I had do overs in school I would have taken that path.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 10:35 pm

IT management. The pay is so much better, the actual work (outside of meetings, phone calls & organizing) virtually nil. Sadly it only sometimes requires technical knowledge and experience but always requires substantial schmoozing skills. I've tried management & while I can do the job somewhat, even I knew I had obvious areas of dis-ability, and I was miserable with stress.

Mustangboss429
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jun 2016, 5:47 am

I've never really had one particular job that Id like but I just wish that I wasn't so limited on the choices of jobs that I could realisticly do.

crazybunnylady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jun 2016, 6:46 am

One day I would like to have my own vegan catering company. I need to learn to drive and also buy a house so I can register a business from home. Otherwise I'd be doing it now. I do hire a venue to put on pop up restaurants but that's very stressful and couldn't do that full time. I just need to figure out what I can do in the meantime so I can get a mortgage and afford driving lessons.

If I didn't have to work for money I'd spend all day developing vegan cookbooks.

Diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome 15/06/2016

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2016, 10:46 pm

Writer. I have pretty bad ADHD though so it's hard to stay focused. That, and I'm too critical of my own writing.

I also would love to get a degree in botany and work at a botanical garden but that's not really realistic (due to the fact that few places do straight botany degrees and there are few jobs at botanical gardens lol).

Also I really wish I could act. Alas, I don't know how to pretend to be something I'm not lmao.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2016, 12:21 am

I want to get involved in more political things. Activism and all that. Maybe someday I still will, but for now I've found it's an extremely poor fit for an aspie; at least the avenues I've tried. It kind of tears at my soul that I haven't found a way to do this.

selflessness
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jun 2016, 6:33 am

I wish I could be a chemist, but after taking some tests it seems my IQ is too low for higher education :(

Wewnaw
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jun 2016, 10:33 am

I would like to be a union rep at work but doubt I could cope with all the peopling and know I'd definitely struggle with remembering information and recalling conversations when I'm feeling trapped, stressed or under pressure. That and I seem to be going through a stage where my executive functioning is pretty low, wouldn't be helpful to anyone atm :-/

RAADS-R score: 189.0
Seeking diagnosis

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Jun 2016, 4:38 pm

I'd like to be a vice cop but I have a rare low vision disorder, bad fine motor-skills partly due to a tremor disorder, I'm slow at processing things, not good with directions & forget stuff due to dyslexia & ADD. I wouldn't mind being a comedian either but I have anxiety & forget stuff & sometimes say the wrong thing than I intend.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2016, 12:07 pm

I tried teaching kids but they bring out anxiety. I did some outdoor research work, but I'm too physically unfit for the vast majority of that work, plus I have some sort of undiagnosed muscle weakness disorder.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

LittleLu
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jun 2016, 2:18 pm

Either a chemist or a biologist. Just somewhere in the scientific field. I love science something crazy and have so much respect for it, but I'm honestly too slow to keep up with the learning path. I unfortunately could not pass my biology exams in college and ended up dropping out.

Nowadays I just stick with what I'm good at, and I write about chemists and biologists in my science fiction novels, haha! It's almost a win.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 1:28 pm

Delivery driver, computer programmer, train driver, bus driver, anything that requires a degree (engineer, analyst, tester),

and to the more realistic jobs / professions like cleaning, retail, ..............

ah hell every profession that is out there I WANT to do, apart from maybe sales/marketing/management

Reasons I can't:
-Not enthusiastic enough
-Not motivated
-Always a straight face, only smile when laugh which is rare
-Bad at retaining information (bad short term memory)
-Inability to keep a conversation going or start a group conversation
-Slow at understanding the way things work
-Alot of anxiety in mornings when I wake up, disappears eventually though
-Usually don't understand people's attitudes relating to work

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 3:58 pm

Engineer...